Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You know the answer is somewhere in the middle when you get these two takes on the exact same situation:

a) We flew this VIP posse to New Hampshire that included the president of the university just to get the whack job to say yes? We must be out of our mind.

b) We flew this VIP posse to New Hampshire that included the president of the university just to tell the guy he was a worthless POS? We must be out of our mind.

Or perhaps we sent the president so he could personally meet and evaluate that nut job. Might be that he met him and decided having just fired a nut job we really did not need or want another one. It might come out eventually but I really doubt it and don't care.

Kelly wanted pac 12 all the time, they fit him much better than the SEC. Bottom line for my opinion.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’d be willing to bet we offered more money. Everyone also knows UF is a much more prestigious gig. He picked what he thought was the best fit for him, whatever that is.
Maybe, but maybe it actually had to do with facilities. UCLA does have better facilities. Maybe it had to do with Florida forcing current coaches to stay.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but maybe it actually had to do with facilities. UCLA does have better facilities. Maybe it had to do with Florida forcing current coaches to stay.
Once again, what he deemed a better fit. I didn’t say we were the top destination in the universe.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm talking about your blaming this on UF. We have a lazy recruiter that chose a $4m/year deal at a basketball school. And it was even between UF and UCLA only; there are other good coaching spots available. This is on Kelly not UF.
If he's a lazy recruiter, Florida would have been a better choice. Recruits would have just come to him. Poor logic.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If the guy chooses UCLA because he would rather be in Cali there is nothing we could do and honestly he isn’t the right fit. Stricklin went for it and lost, but I’m glad he took a shot. Whose next?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And our flying the university president to meet with him at his home wasn't a way to let him know how important we considered the hire or how much we deferred to the importance of his candidacy?
We obviously thought we had a deal. I mean, where else would we fly to meet him? The local McDonalds?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You inferred it was sour grapes. If he chose the lesser program with lower expectations at an unbelievably lower price than anticipated, then you have to believe there is some merit to that.
I think it says alot that he'd rather coach for a fraction of the pay and resources than coach for our administration.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
You know your coaching search is going well when the best you've got to show for it after 3 weeks is that cute chick in the pink and white stripes.

Other coaches aren’t available to discuss until after the regular season. Three free weeks to perform due diligence and pursue Chip. Noting else could have been done.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I think it says alot that he'd rather coach for a fraction of the pay and resources than coach for our administration.
This x 1,000. I don't buy the "he's lazy and wants to relax at the beach in California excuse". He could do that anytime he wants, doesn't need UCLA's money for that.

Mim Jacelwain

Oct 30, 2017
Best I can gather is , Chip didn't want to play in a conference with competition and was scared of the types of Saban. So tell me again, why we wanted someone who was a lil bitc*?

ChompionOfLife

Nov 3, 2017
Other coaches aren’t available to discuss until after the regular season. Three free weeks to perform due diligence and pursue Chip. Noting else could have been done.

It was a joke.

Also, talking to agents and working out deals ahead of time is totally a thing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Or perhaps we sent the president so he could personally meet and evaluate that nut job. Might be that he met him and decided having just fired a nut job we really did not need or want another one. It might come out eventually but I really doubt it and don't care.

Kelly wanted pac 12 all the time, they fit him much better than the SEC. Bottom line for my opinion.

Spoken like a true sunshine pumper....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.