Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect that your views are in a distinct minority.
not after a year 3.

you guys always come around after year 3.

then, like Dooley, you claimed you knew it all along.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
not after a year 3.

you guys always come around after year 3.

then, like Dooley, you claimed you knew it all along.

You know the administration has decided to go in another direction, once Dooley and the other Gainesville media starts to question/critic a current coach (especially in football).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Your work in this thread is something else. You really are lucky to have found a place online to spend your time where the owner doesn't care whether the site is very successful or profitable.
yeah I'm sure following your plan of collecting all the nut job conspiracy theory wackos would be much more profitable.

sure there's no other place on the internet where we can talk about vaccine conspiracies, un black helicopters, Masons and trilateral commission would be great. cuz there's no other place on the internet for nut jobs.

I said with all due respect.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The focal point of the author's comparison, like he wrote in the part I quoted before, was how Mullen and Smart have each fared against teams with Top 25 talent since 2016. It's an attempt to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

So no, the author didn't talk about Mullen's losses to teams who didn't have Top 25 rosters, like his losses to Kentucky and Missouri in his first season at UF. And by the same token he didn't include Smart's first-season losses to teams with sub-Top-25 talent like Vanderbilt and GaTech.

At least UK and Mizzou were top 25 teams in the AP rankings at the time they beat us, even if they didn't have top 25 talent on their rosters. Vandy and GaTech were unranked in both measures when Smart lost to them.
Care to address my comment at all? He said losses to top 25 talent, since 2016. Sounds like a lot of qualifiers and cherry picking. A great coach's record should stand alone without that need.

I don't see any significant trend here. He wins most of the time he has more talent, and it's not unusual for him to lose when he doesn't. Real eye opening stuff. And why 2016? Could south Alabama have something to do with that? He also speaks as if 2016 is included and it obviously is not. The SA loss was sep of 2016. If he wanted to be clear he would have said since 2017 season. But he didnt.

Article summary - coach Mullen has done ok against equal or better talent, and pretty well against inferior talent, since the last time he lost to inferior talent.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Care to address my comment at all? He said losses to top 25 talent, since 2016. Sounds like a lot of qualifiers and cherry picking. A great coach's record should stand alone without that need.

I don't see any significant trend here. He wins most of the time he has more talent, and it's not unusual for him to lose when he doesn't. Real eye opening stuff. And why is 2016 selected as the place to start? Could south Alabama have something to do with that?

Article summary - coach Mullen has done ok against equal or better talent, and pretty well against inferior talent, since the last time he lost to inferior talent.
I’m guessing 2016 was chosen because that was Smart’s first year as a head coach.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a topic for a similar thread:

The case against Dan Mullen (and for Mark Stoops) - Is Mark Stoops a better X's & O's coach than Mullen?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They whole joke of an argument that they guy who finishes tied for second or tied for third is better the the guy who has humiliated him on the field because one guy fkkking sucks as a recruiter therefore "only loses the ones he is supposed" is hilarious.

Winners raise trophies. Mullins brags about keeping it close or percentages.

Did you guys think Jim Donnan was better because his percentages were better? :lmao2:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They whole joke of an argument that they guy who finishes tied for second or tied for third is better the the guy who has humiliated him on the field because one guy fkkking sucks as a recruiter therefore "only loses the ones he is supposed" is hilarious.

Winners raise trophies. Mullins brags about keeping it close or percentages.

Did you guys think Jim Donnan was better because his percentages were better? :lmao2:
As a head coach, you’re right. It doesn’t really matter about the formula, just the results. Mullen is intentionally handicapping his recruiting which holds him back from competing for championships. Kirby stockpiled enough talent to overcome lackluster coaching. Kirby’s way of skinning the cat is better, so far.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Both are lackluster coaches. In fact, Mullinz has looked like a total fvkktard of a coach vs Shart, Kintucky twice, and scUM.

And a lot of other teams since 2009.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Now I don't know you to be an early afternoon drinker like your buddy there, but maybe you joined him today. Or maybe your bout with Bat Flew Stew affected your reading abilities. I directly addressed your comment in my response!

You said, what about teams outside the top 25? I explained what the point of the author's chosen criteria was, and that he didn't include the two losses that BOTH coaches had to teams with sub-top-25 talent in their first seasons with their current teams. It's fine if you don't like that answer for whatever reason but I did answer you.
I'm talking about south Alabama. It's pretty obvious. I've also never had the wutang flu, also obvious from the thread. I was quaratined bc someone else got sick and a few days later testing neg for Wuhan and pos for rhino. Reading comprehension my man.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
...and by the way, why 2016?? Well, because he was trying to do a comparison of the two men's records as head coaches. So I suppose he started with 2016 because that's the first year when both men were head coaches?
yes. We should dismiss anything other than that period for Mullen simply bc kirbs wasn't around.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a topic for a similar thread:

The case against Dan Mullen (and for Mark Stoops) - Is Mark Stoops a better X's & O's coach than Mullen?
you aren't allowed that same logic if used against our coach. Only for. Otherwise you're a dumper or a day drinker. If recruiting doesn't improve I'll be both soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.