Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rocket is a good dude. He just hasnt been around much lately.

Jaguar45

Nov 16, 2017
Jaguar needs to post more. You've been around 3 years man, now you suddenly pipe up? Even if I don't agree with you I admire the way you've made your points in a well-written manner. Keep posting.
Thanks Ox. I’ll try to stop in more from time to time.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I think Kirby built a lot of relationships while he was at Bama that allowed him to recruit; plus, he's a great recruiter and a great recruiter knows how to hire great recruiters.
I think Mullen is better with Xs and Os, and is the better coach insofar as getting the most from his players, but Mullen's weakness is recruiting and building a competent, championship-level staff.
At this point, it appears that the comparison is more of a "stale mate" in theory; but the reality is in winning, and ultimately that will be decided by the talent on the field.
And I don't want to hear about the Spurrier analogies; Spurrier was a genius and really didn't have to lift a finger to recruit, that was a different time and SOS ran a scheme that invited top talent in those days.
The game has changed, and the same level of talent that was flocking to us back then are now looking elsewhere--to programs that offer them an opportunity to compete for a championship and a free ride to the NFL.
Recruiting to UF is a much different game these days, things have changed so much--even since the Meyer era.
I think you pretty much nailed it.
The bottom line is that Kirby’s recruiting (and the state of the SECe) will enable him to outlast CDM, by several years.
I actually kind of like CDM, but can see the hand writing on the wall. All of the Corona nonsense pretty much gives him a bye on 2020, barring a scandal or total collapse. 2021 will pretty much be his last chance to show he can beat Kirby and win the East, but his recruiting makes this unlikely. In this day and age, if you can’t recruit you will not survive at a big boy program; It does not matter how good an X’s and O’s guy you are. Without a bunch of great players, you simply cannot win a title. I will continue to believe this until someone proves me wrong.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We’re not even contemplating beating the man. We’re just trying to keep his mini me from curb stomping us on a regular basis.
we're just going to celebrate it and call it a moral victory if we keep it within two touchdowns. / life champion, cowbell division

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Neither of these coaches are great X's and O's coaches. So great players out preform good coaching?
agreed, I would say great coaching can beat great recruiting. Look at fsu under Fisher. They beat teams with decent coaches using crazy talent, but lost a lot more than they should and usually to teams with less talent but really good coaching. That bowl against Houston where Herman was the coach is a great example. Pj fleck the last few years, etc. Hell look at what meyer was doing before he had florida talent.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Recruiting to UF is a much different game these days, things have changed so much--even since the Meyer era.

Some things, such as the facility are unfortunately nearly exactly the same. But, otherwise this is true based on one major downgrade from those years - the coach.

Do you really have any doubt that if Meyer walked back in, that we would be in the top 4 in recruiting within 18 months or less?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
agreed, I would say great coaching can beat great recruiting. Look at fsu under Fisher. They beat teams with decent coaches using crazy talent, but lost a lot more than they should and usually to teams with less talent but really good coaching. That bowl against Houston where Herman was the coach is a great example. Pj fleck the last few years, etc. Hell look at what meyer was doing before he had florida talent.

Fully agree that great coaching can defeat superior talent. That is why the record vs equal or greater talented teams matter. Meyer, Spurrier, etc.. could beat teams with Superior talent. I don't see that from either of these two coaches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Neither of these coaches are great X's and O's coaches. So great players out preform good coaching?
Kirby is probably a competent DC x's and o's. Nothing special either.

he's basically muschump who can recruit more than only two positions (Buck and DB).

their offensive philosophies are very similar run run run throw screen passes

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.