Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Some things, such as the facility are unfortunately nearly exactly the same. But, otherwise this is true based on one major downgrade from those years - the coach.

Do you really have any doubt that if Meyer walked back in, that we would be in the top 4 in recruiting within 18 months or less?
I don't know. It's tough to doubt Meyer when it comes to recruiting, plus he has some legit selling points. He also has some baggage that might reflect negatively toward parents.
One of my biggest questions is getting these kids to qualify; how much has that changed?
I know Meyer wouldn't have any problem shedding the dead weight.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
It's simple to a degree. Mullen is obviously the better X's and O's coach, while Kirby is better with building relationships and relating to players. Also probably a more skilled cheater. Which is interesting because I believe in the past Dan had a pretty big reputation for being a little standoffish during his prior tenure in Gainesville. Therefore, I'm not surprised he struggles a bit in recruiting.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fully agree that great coaching can defeat superior talent. That is why the record vs equal or greater talented teams matter. Meyer, Spurrier, etc.. could beat teams with Superior talent. I don't see that from either of these two coaches.
yup. I have zero confidence that either of those coaches would win a game against better talent, or equal talent and great coaching. Bangs gets that which is why he's made it so that there's no team that has more talent than him. At least he knows his weaknesses and addresses them as best he can. He's eliminated one of the avenues others have to beat him. Kudos to him for that. Mullen seems to think we can keep middling around in the off-season and somehow translate that to wins against the best, despite a huge body of personal evidence indicating the opposite. Introspection and self evals don't seem to be his strong suit, or dare I say, he's satisfied with being in the convo despite his claims to want to win at everything.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Let me see if I have this right? Ths thread started off with Mullen as a mediocre recruiter but he could at least coach. Now it seems that he's not an X's and O's guy either. Can't recruit and can't coach, good thing the season will likely not get played. It would be a disaster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's simple to a degree. Mullen is obviously the better X's and O's coach, while Kirby is better with building relationships and relating to players. Also probably a more skilled cheater. Which is interesting because I believe in the past Dan had a pretty big reputation for being a little standoffish during his prior tenure in Gainesville. Therefore, I'm not surprised he struggles a bit in recruiting.

Though I do agree Mullen is a better Xs and Os guy than Kirby. That isn't saying a whole hellva a lot. Kirby is a slightly better Xs and Os than Muschamp. As I have said before I think Mullen is a solid B as a Xs and Os guy, and was top 3 last year in the SEC. But at the same the SEC isn't the haven of good coaching hit has been in the past.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me see if I have this right? Ths thread started off with Mullen as a mediocre recruiter but he could at least coach. Now it seems that he's not an X's and O's guy either. Can't recruit and can't coach, good thing the season will likely not get played. It would be a disaster.

I'm glad reading comprehension is so strong with you, it's a comparison against another coach. Another coach whose coaching is also highly suspect. It's like we wrote an article, RCC is taller than URG. It's true you are taller than that vile disgusting midget, but what is that really saying about a adult male of average height. Not a whole hellva a lot.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'm glad reading comprehension is so strong with you, it's a comparison against another coach. Another coach whose coaching is also highly suspect. It's like we wrote an article, RCC is taller than URG. It's true you are taller than that vile disgusting midget, but what is that really saying about a adult male of average height. Not a whole hellva a lot.

Uh Oh, I'm not sure that I'm taller than URG :cry:

I also don't believe that Mullen is a "B" coach regards X's and O's. Most of the reviews I've read support that he is better than that.

Last edited:

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Until Spurrier showed up in Gainesville, Florida was the annual whipping boy for the Dogs.
Steve changed that. Urban continued the mastery during his brief stay at UF. Muschamp
and Butters came and went, although Butters did manage to win the SECe a couple
of times. The 2 head to head games of Danny vrs Kerby have left the UF faithful heart broken.
As of today, UF has the horses to turn things around, IF (and that's a very big if) the 2020 season
even gets played. Both have shown that they can recruit, but neither recruit like Urban and Steve did.
What's ironic is Steve hated recruiting, whereas Urban relished it. Urban would grovel to get his recruits to sign on the dotted line, while Steve's attitude was one of "hey, if you don't want to play here, don't
let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!" When going head to head against Bowden however, Steve would roll out the read carpet.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If you think that mullen and Mullen ball are examples of A level coaching and offensive philosophy, then there's really nothing left to say. No point in debating delusion.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Until Spurrier showed up in Gainesville, Florida was the annual whipping boy for the Dogs.
Steve changed that. Urban continued the mastery during his brief stay at UF. Muschamp
and Butters came and went, although Butters did manage to win the SECe a couple
of times. The 2 head to head games of Danny vrs Kerby have left the UF faithful heart broken.
As of today, UF has the horses to turn things around, IF (and that's a very big if) the 2020 season
even gets played. Both have shown that they can recruit, but neither recruit like Urban and Steve did.
What's ironic is Steve hated recruiting, whereas Urban relished it. Urban would grovel to get his recruits to sign on the dotted line, while Steve's attitude was one of "hey, if you don't want to play here, don't
let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!" When going head to head against Bowden however, Steve would roll out the read carpet.
When you say “neither can recruit like Urban and Steve could” are referring to Mullen and Smart? If so, I’d argue that much as I can’t stand him, Kirby is absolutely as good at recruiting (thus far) as Urban was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When you say “neither can recruit like Urban and Steve could” are referring to Mullen and Smart? If so, I’d argue that much as I can’t stand him, Kirby is absolutely as good at recruiting (thus far) as Urban was.
Yeah, I would say Shart is as good as Urban and clearly a better recruiter than SOS, unfortunately for us.

SOS earned great recruiting classes by winning on the field and he truly is an offensive genius. Of course WRs, QBs wanted to play fun and gun. RBs loved it too bc he used them well also, got plenty of yards and TDs, but didn't make them carry 30 times a game.

Mullinz is the Ron Zook of OCs, mediocre at best and set in his ways, but without the recruiting skill. He should be sending money to FSU to thank them for wiLLLLLLLie.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just have to ask, what's his record against teams outside the top 25 in talent... like maybe against Kentucky, or Missouri??

In addition to winning against talent, you expect an "A" coach to blow out crap teams with crap talent. Still waiting for that too.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
This is absolutely delusional. We are considerably less talented than last year and next year will be worse.
Say what? The Dogs have lost much of their 2019 offense and a transfer qb unfamiliar with that offense. Off to the NFL are Thomas, Wilson, Swift, Kindley, Fromm, Crowder, and Woerner.
2 of their top recruits, Fields blew town and Cook has been a bust.
Many of the talking heads are picking Florida to take the SECe in 2020.
Perhaps they also are delusional?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Many of the talking heads are picking Florida to take the SECe in 2020.
Uh huh. Offensive explosion. Gonna kick the door at Atlanta. Sure.

if you're listening to that Semihole, you have some talking heads going on inside your head also.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just have to ask, what's his record against teams outside the top 25 in talent... like maybe against Kentucky, or Missouri??

In addition to winning against talent, you expect an "A" coach to blow out crap teams with crap talent. Still waiting for that too.

You mean like beating UT Martin by 45, slUT by 31, Towson by 38, Vandy by 56 or SOW by 33? Like last year?

Or....

Maybe like beating Charleston So. by 47, Colo St. by 38, slUT by 26, Idaho by 53, SOW by 27 or Meatchicken by 26?

Like that? :grin:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What about them? So just toss everything else over those 2? Even when stuck with Butterface leftovers and PP? Sure thing! :lol:

Weak, even for you.
he's lost to some other awful teams as well. Lest we forget it's only been 2 seasons at Florida. The article was total crap and that's what I'm pointing out. It said since 2016 he's only lost to the big boys. He lost to south Alabama for goodness sake. The author was intentionally misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.