Dan Mullen on fans wanting coaching changes

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n81438 said:
I dunno, man.

If Ox can find a way to monetize a chat board populated with cranky college football fans, he could become a "thousandaire". Or at least a "several hundredaire"....

:rotfl:

a dollaraire

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I don't see him as whining. He's just sticking up for his brothers in the coaching profession. Some of you seem a little thin skinned as though he was directing his comments at you.
Oh...
nevermind

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I never meant to say he should be censored. He can say whatever he wants. I just think that, right or wrong, the average fan has no sympathy for these guys and coaches do a lot more harm than good to themselves with negative fan remarks. Hell, look at Muschamp. His pompous "get a grip" line is still talked about today and is something that will never be forgotten. Never. He looked like an idiot by saying it, even if it was true.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81442 said:
I never meant to say he should be censored. He can say whatever he wants. I just think that, right or wrong, the average fan has no sympathy for these guys and coaches do a lot more harm than good to themselves with negative fan remarks. Hell, look at Muschamp. His pompous "get a grip" line is still talked about today and is something that will never be forgotten. Never. He looked like an idiot by saying it, even if it was true.

I completely forgot about the "get a grip" comment until you brought it up...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n81445 said:
I completely forgot about the "get a grip" comment until you brought it up...

Midline?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, well, I think I was right...

:headshake:

:dance2:

:lalala:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n81495 said:
What he meant to say is, "Most fans are fairweather, immature babies."
Immature, yes. Babies, no question. But if they were "fairweather" they wouldn't be here, Squatch. They'd be off rooting for a different team.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All Coach Speak from Mullen. What do you really expect him to say?? When it comes down to it money talks and bu!!$#!t walks. If UF offers (when looking for a coach) he's going to listen. He would leave and say I hate those damn cowbells.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n81429 said:
While your opinion includes elements of the truth, I don't think it's the full truth. Perhaps it's better said that there are some perspectives that you're not taking into account and you're only looking at this through one lens.

I think what I agree with is that they are paid lots of money and that money accompanies public scrutiny, high expectations and long, hard work. I agree that it's "expected" of coaches and it "goes with the job."

However, I disagree that he can't give the coaches' perspective on the matter. I'll compare it with something similar and more clear. If coal miners are paid significantly higher hourly wages as a less dangerous job, but there are safety issues that could be changed (I dunno, maybe air quality, shift length, or mine shaft security), some might say, "Hey, you know the disadvantages of the job and you know the pay. If you're gonna have one, it comes with the other. ...but shouldn't we try to improve things for the miners? Shouldn't they be able to represent their concerns without being told they are paid enough to put up with poor conditions, especially if those conditions could be changed?

Well, these men have stepped up to the plate to take on a big responsibility. ...frankly, bigger than I'm willing (or able, but that's another matter) to take on. They do indeed do this in spite of the disadvantages associated with it and, doubtlessly, aware of the high salary and other perks. I have no problem with him, or any coach, giving their perspective and encouraging what they think are positive changes.

Lastly, and briefly ( :stars: ), money isn't everything. Quality of life, respect and humane treatment go a long way. When it goes to motivating employees, money is a powerful force up to a certain point. After that point, challenge, mastery and making a contribution drive people to greater things. After all, why did you make this board?

[video=youtube;u6XAPnuFjJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc[/video]

Coal miners? You have to be kidding me. There is nothing unsafe about a college football coaches job. What this is like is a plastic surgeon bringing in a million dollars a year complaining about having to deal with rich snobby patients.

Coaches can complain about fans and doctors can complain about patients but don't be surprised if there are consequences for publicly voicing those opinions.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81503 said:
Immature, yes. Babies, no question. But if they were "fairweather" they wouldn't be here, Squatch. They'd be off rooting for a different team.

Kinda like saying "Go Rocky Top" the morning of the UT game, right?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n81508 said:
I never said "Go Rocky Top", asshat. Neither did my father. Him and I sat there and rooted for the Gators, as always. What he said was if it meant losing a few games to be able to move on to a better staff, then so be it. And right or wrong, that's the way many, many fans feel, even though they don't want to just come out and say it. They care more about the long-term good of the team.

But hey, you're just simply a better fan than the rest of us.

:snob:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n81508 said:

Sigh...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81513 said:
I never said "Go Rocky Top", asshat. Neither did my father. Him and I sat there and rooted for the Gators, as always. What he said was if it meant losing a few games to be able to move on to a better staff, then so be it. And right or wrong, that's the way many, many fans feel, even though they don't want to just come out and say it. They care more about the long-term good of the team.

But hey, you're just simply a better fan than the rest of us.

:snob:

oxking;n67953 said:
That's right. Just to be in a discussion about about beating a horrible Tennessee team just shows how really bad off the program is. It wasn't losing to Bama that was so bad to me. It was the demonstration again that Florida is not a comparable program to them. We are not even in the same discussion. We got beat like we were a directional school instead of the elite program I remember and expect. The chump regime has been an unmitigated disaster that can't be ho hummed and optimized away by sunshine speak. This nice man and his family have got to go. If it takes a defeat at Tennessee to get this clown fired then I say go Rocky Top!

If the criterion for being a better fan is not rooting for one of our biggest rivals, that's not much of a competition.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I hate when I agree with Ox

Dan would have answered the question better with a "no comment." Even though he was kind of painted in to a corner with the question, the response he provided was 100% in the grey and if anything, made him look like he didn't think fans are allowed to have a negative opinion because everyone in the program "tried hard." I'm sure all the walk-ons on his team "try hard" and only touch the playing field on the way from the locker room to the side line.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n81516 said:
If the criterion for being a better fan is not rooting for one of our biggest rivals, that's not much of a competition.
You really aren't this stupid, even though you act like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.