Dan Mullen on fans wanting coaching changes

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ox is right. Dan Mullen is making millions and whining about about a couple fans lobbying for him meanwhile there's people outhere wipping old people's asses for 10 dollars an hour.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n81354 said:
I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when coaches bitch about the fans to the media. If you don't want to deal with fans, then get the hell out of coaching. Otherwise, accept it as part of your lucrative contract and keep your thoughts about them private.

It's like being a teacher and saying it would be an awesome job if it wasn't for the kids. Sheesh....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
"everybody’s working so hard to do the best they can."

I will say that if you here this phrase...anywhere...it is tied to failed results(Muschamp). Anytime you have heard this phrase it is almost always because someone is not performing up to par.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81390 said:
Ox is right. Dan Mullen is making millions and whining about about a couple fans lobbying for him meanwhile there's people outhere wipping old people's asses for 10 dollars an hour.

So because he is paid millions, he is not allowed to express his opinion?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n81368 said:
I don't think you can paint fans with one broad brush. All types, all the way down to the Updykes of the world. I think coaches have the right to call out extremists.

Yeah and yell at them at games...good talk!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81390 said:

You're right, he should have lied or avoided the question entirely.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about you guys but I'm convinced. Mullen is never leaving Starkville.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They all work so hard they should be given trophies at the end of the year, no matter their record.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81390 said:
Ox is right. Dan Mullen is making millions and whining about about a couple fans lobbying for him meanwhile there's people out here wipping old people's asses for 10 dollars an hour.

This $10/hour job... Wiping or whipping?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n81397 said:
Originally posted by Coach9 View Post

I don't think you can paint fans with one broad brush. All types, all the way down to the Updykes of the world. I think coaches have the right to call out extremists.

Yeah and yell at them at games...good talk!

:catfight:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n81411 said:
Originally posted by t-gator View Post
Ox is right. Dan Mullen is making millions and whining about about a couple fans lobbying for him meanwhile there's people out here wipping old people's asses for 10 dollars an hour.

:lmao:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I am soooo tired of the coaching speculation. We shouldn't care what Mullen or any other HC from any other school says. Yet we do. Because we have no choice but to follow this crap because our program is a dumpster fire of burning Ebola-soaked snot rags.

And sadly, the odds favor this dragging on for another year.

Lord, help us all.

Better yet, Treon help us all. I just want to win a few ball games and look good while doing it.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If the world ran the way Dan wants it, every building would look like a certain tower in Pisa. Hey, as long as everyone is trying it's good enough, right?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81350 said:
Dan (and every other head coach reading this board - we know you're there), that's why you get paid millions and millions of dollars, along with endless perks and monster buyouts, to do your jobs. Frankly, his whole spiel about how these coaches "are just doing their best" so they shouldn't be called out is embarrassing. I would sure as hell hope they are after the commitment these schools have made to these men. And they can't see their families? That's part of the job. This isn't Pee-Wee football headed up by volunteer coaches.

He embarrassed himself with that answer. Hell, even when they get fired for non-performance, they get 7-figure golden parachutes. How many working stiffs get a deal like that?

While your opinion includes elements of the truth, I don't think it's the full truth. Perhaps it's better said that there are some perspectives that you're not taking into account and you're only looking at this through one lens.

I think what I agree with is that they are paid lots of money and that money accompanies public scrutiny, high expectations and long, hard work. I agree that it's "expected" of coaches and it "goes with the job."

However, I disagree that he can't give the coaches' perspective on the matter. I'll compare it with something similar and more clear. If coal miners are paid significantly higher hourly wages as a less dangerous job, but there are safety issues that could be changed (I dunno, maybe air quality, shift length, or mine shaft security), some might say, "Hey, you know the disadvantages of the job and you know the pay. If you're gonna have one, it comes with the other. ...but shouldn't we try to improve things for the miners? Shouldn't they be able to represent their concerns without being told they are paid enough to put up with poor conditions, especially if those conditions could be changed?

Well, these men have stepped up to the plate to take on a big responsibility. ...frankly, bigger than I'm willing (or able, but that's another matter) to take on. They do indeed do this in spite of the disadvantages associated with it and, doubtlessly, aware of the high salary and other perks. I have no problem with him, or any coach, giving their perspective and encouraging what they think are positive changes.

Lastly, and briefly ( :stars: ), money isn't everything. Quality of life, respect and humane treatment go a long way. When it goes to motivating employees, money is a powerful force up to a certain point. After that point, challenge, mastery and making a contribution drive people to greater things. After all, why did you make this board?

[video=youtube;u6XAPnuFjJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc[/video]

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81428 said:
You interested ? I'm on the toilet right now

I'll take it. When you get finished we'll square off :D.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n81435 said:

I dunno, man.

If Ox can find a way to monetize a chat board populated with cranky college football fans, he could become a "thousandaire". Or at least a "several hundredaire"....

:rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.