Dana Holgerson leaves WVU to coach Houston for some reason

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you can't get over the B12 hump with a QB like Grier you ain't getting over the hump. I think WV fans felt a little bit of a letdown and there were probably noises starting in the system...Houston is probably safer for him in the next 3 to 4 years since there aren't any expectations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@Swamp Donkey and I were curious what the officially InstiGATOR1 abbreviation is for WV. We need an official Insti guide to university abbreviations.
It would seem that UWVa is the official Instigator abbreciation for WVU, which for some reason doesnt warrant the extra "M" town code so common in Insti abbreviations.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He must have just needed a change. Is that not a step down?
There were rumblings apparently. UWva expected B12 championship and a playoff spot this year. The reality that you REALLY cant win without any semblance of defense has hit home.

They sure as hell werent thinking of giving him a raise. My guess was hot seat next year and he didnt have a roster to make a run next year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've never been to Morgantown, and I know most of the city areas there aren't very nice, but I thought WV is a beautiful state.

This is a strange move, but I think it also says something about these bizarre conference additions that aren't, and were never, a logical fit. Expanding a footprint is one thing. But just taking random schools from multiple states away doesn't make sense for either party. I don't have it in front of me, but I doubt much of WV's roster is from Texas/Ok/Kansas areas that they have to travel to. So they're not gaining anything there, and you're still talking about major travel to get to almost any away game. That probably wears on a coach over time, and definitely impacts their ability to recruit effectively and build a true championship level program. I'm guessing between that and the admin's reluctance to commit to him, this seemed like a considerable upgrade. It's also entirely possible that after a family organized intervention, he's decided to enter into a detox program in the Houston area, and the job is just a smokescreen.

Btw, this is now the second time in the last 6 years that a B12 coach has voluntarily left for greener pastures in a Group of Five conference(Tubberville to Cincy). That's pretty embarrassing.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I really don't see how Houston is a step down from WVU. They are both only regionally relevant teams, if that. Houston will actually pay him more too. Lateral move with pay increase.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At the end of the day it came down to money. He wanted a raise from WVU, they weren't going to give it to him. Bye bye.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I kinda get it . Take a pay raise and it will probably be easier to climb the ladder at a place like Houston.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Really?

6 ×12 or 14 ?

You can't get 12 to 14 out of the MAC, AAC...?
fvkk no. They need to send half the MAC, PAC and ACC back to the MAC and CUSAs of the worlds. These aren't competitive teams... ever.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Maybe he's sick of all the traveling. WV is not close to any schools in the Big 12. Plus it's more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator