Dana Holgerson leaves WVU to coach Houston for some reason

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think UCF would get a look before Memphis.

The last time they considered expansion UCF and USF were never serious options because nobody wanted to travel there. WV got in because they were the last of the old Big East that needed a home and the Big 12 needed a “power team” to replace all they were losing. Memphis and BYU make sense travel and tv market wise with Houston.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps something to do with the Billionaire in Houston making him an offer he couldnt refuse
Money mattered but it wasn't the only draw. Holgorsen was Houston's OC a decade ago and loves the city.

Unlike other places, football is the clear #1. Ticket sales are down and there is real concern. Shortly after Applewhite's hiring, the university president said, "Winning at the University if Houston is defined by 10-2. ... We'll fire coaches at 8-4."

Well, she did.

They felt like they could no more afford not to take an aggressive run at Holgorsen as to throw the kind of money at him they did.

Football remains king in Texas.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Somehow they've spent $150M on football facilities over the past 5 years including a new stadium and practice facility, while at the same time we got a new paint job. BTW, looks like they built an entire stadium in less than 3 years. Its taking us longer than that to figure out where to start digging.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Somehow they've spent $150M on football facilities over the past 5 years including a new stadium and practice facility, while at the same time we got a new paint job. BTW, looks like they built an entire stadium in less than 3 years. Its taking us longer than that to figure out where to start digging.
Yeah..... football makes 140ish million EVERY FGGGING YEAR and our ADO still claims poverty and is trying to stretch this all in one project, already five years old, into a decade all while demanding even more contributions.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Big 12 teams dont want to fly that far especially to sit in front of 25-30k people.

They already gripe about WVU.... I mean UWVa.

I’ll acknowledge your point as being valid but the bureaucrats making the decisions don’t care about that. And so long as W. Virginia is staying in the conference, those same decision makers probably see another addition on this side of the country as a good idea...and if the choice is b/t UCF and Memphis, I still think UCF gets the nod for a # of reasons, including the obvious...TV market in Florida.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I’ll acknowledge your point as being valid but the bureaucrats making the decisions don’t care about that. And so long as W. Virginia is staying in the conference, those same decision makers probably see another addition on this side of the country as a good idea...and if the choice is b/t UCF and Memphis, I still think UCF gets the nod for a # of reasons, including the obvious...TV market in Florida.

The longhorn network doesn’t care about a Florida market. There is no Big 12 network and probably won’t be thanks to Texas. Texas and Oklahoma have also said they don’t want to elevate another team in Florida to fight recruits for. They already make the playoffs the way it is now so there is no need to expand.

Where it gets interesting is with a Cincinnati who would be closer to WV. Then you also have to consider could they could try and raid the PAC-12 due to them falling behind in revenue and having to hire financial advisers as a conference and seek outside investors into the conference. Would Colorado come back? Utah if they could also get BYU? The two Arizona schools who don’t have the Pac12 history like the others?

I have also read they will not consider expansion again until 2024. They also have to hope the other conferences don’t cherry pick their teams as Oklahoma could pull an A&M to get away from Texas. If the big 10 or SEC expand Texas and Oklahoma are targets. There are also rumors that Texas and Oklahoma could bolt while they are forced to take TT and OSU with them somewhere. Could you see UCF getting there and then all the big guys leaving.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve been all over WV - from south to north and even Morgantown.
Overall it’s a beautiful state.
However- they have issues.

So... it’s like a very attractive woman who rarely changes her underwear.

200w.gif

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The longhorn network doesn’t care about a Florida market. There is no Big 12 network and probably won’t be thanks to Texas. Texas and Oklahoma have also said they don’t want to elevate another team in Florida to fight recruits for. They already make the playoffs the way it is now so there is no need to expand.

Where it gets interesting is with a Cincinnati who would be closer to WV. Then you also have to consider could they could try and raid the PAC-12 due to them falling behind in revenue and having to hire financial advisers as a conference and seek outside investors into the conference. Would Colorado come back? Utah if they could also get BYU? The two Arizona schools who don’t have the Pac12 history like the others?

I have also read they will not consider expansion again until 2024. They also have to hope the other conferences don’t cherry pick their teams as Oklahoma could pull an A&M to get away from Texas. If the big 10 or SEC expand Texas and Oklahoma are targets. There are also rumors that Texas and Oklahoma could bolt while they are forced to take TT and OSU with them somewhere. Could you see UCF getting there and then all the big guys leaving.

You’ve totally misunderstood my posts. I haven’t said I think they are expanding or that they will add UCF. All I’ve said is that if they choose to expand and the choice is only between UCF and Memphis that UCF would get the nod. I’ll go one step further by saying that would only hold true in the here and now. No telling if UCF can sustain their recent success at the same or similar level.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
You’ve totally misunderstood my posts. I haven’t said I think they are expanding or that they will add UCF. All I’ve said is that if they choose to expand and the choice is only between UCF and Memphis that UCF would get the nod. I’ll go one step further by saying that would only hold true in the here and now. No telling if UCF can sustain their recent success at the same or similar level.
Gotcha. On paper yes UCF is the better choice if they expanded today than most being considered. Unfortunately that is not how they choose the right program anymore. Take the SEC for example. You would think we would target the best programs (Texas, Oklahoma, etc), but would probably target a NC State for a new market. Unfortunately for the Big 12 if Texas is happy with the current model they won't change it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You have to think recruiting at Houston will be easier than WV.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have to think recruiting at Houston will be easier than WV.
Even getting leftovers from the big 12 Texas and Okie teams has to beat what you can land in Morganhole WV

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
College football is not static. Houston is in a bigger city than Miami and Texas is about as football crazy at Florida. Miami does have the edge in being almost 340 miles from UF, while Houston is only 165 miles from UTx. Still the roads are better to UF making the drive time not as different as the miles.

So the Houston job is very attractive to someone who think they can build it up. And just off the top of my head, they could play off of Miami and call themselves "Dis U" or "Our U" rather than "Da U." Now the coach to go there would need to have a fun style to build up the program as Holgerson does. The school would need to commit and the coach would need to rally the community, but I see no reason you could not build a top program at U of Houston.

Miami did this despite changing coaches a lot. That take a bit of luck. I think the FSU or UNLV in basketball style of getting a coach and keeping him several decades is the safer way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.