Did Mike McNeely save our program?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, maybe not to that degree but you can tell that the fake field goal TD by Micheal McNeely gave us a spark. In fact, it seemed like we got momentum all of a sudden. This could carry us for the rest of the season and into the off-season with recruiting regardless who the coach is going to be. If we piece together a win streak, you have to give credit to that play that caused the spark. Either way, that was a play that will be remembered forever by GatorNation!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was certainly a game changer. I think it might have saved the coaches job, if anything, unfortunately.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator;n96565 said:
got to admit....never saw that coming

Me neither. Didn't think that WM had the balz to call it with his play style.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was a gutsy play. And executed perfectly. Good call by Muschamp.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know why the play call was that surprising to people, Muschamp has rolled the dice plenty of times before. The thing is, it usually backfires, so the surprise was that it worked.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
OcalaGator83;n96611 said:
I don't know why the play call was that surprising to people, Muschamp has rolled the dice plenty of times before. The thing is, it usually backfires, so the surprise was that it worked.

The symbolism of your avatar bothers me. I'm not hiding my face if I wear the "F".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It saved us the embarassment of yet another loss to the Azzsniffers. It reminds us that despite the performance of the field the last four years, we still are a team with top 5 talent.

It may unfortunately have forestalled our program being saved by a good coach. We'll see. Fooley's actions on the sidelines were quite ominous.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When asked about it at presser WM said he's a risky kinda guy lol.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Pretty sure that's the first fake punt or field goal since we've had this coach. I think it's also the first time we've tried to block a punt.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
biggator6;n96649 said:
Pretty sure that's the first fake punt or field goal since we've had this coach. I think it's also the first time we've tried to block a punt.

No we have faked punts before, and extra points. Also I think we faked a FG before that was a Burton to Burton dropped pass.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
It was a play call by coach with nothing to lose. If we were ranked, he would never make that decision. It was a good decision because worst case scenario we'd just be down by 7 in the 1st quarter.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n96652 said:
No we have faked punts before, and extra points. Also I think we faked a FG before that was a Burton to Burton dropped pass.

This. We did it more in 2012 though. The fake was so good, it almost faked out the camera man. Nobody expected it to come.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n96616 said:
It saved us the embarassment of yet another loss to the Azzsniffers. It reminds us that despite the performance of the field the last four years, we still are a team with top 5 talent.

It may unfortunately have forestalled our program being saved by a good coach. We'll see. Fooley's actions on the sidelines were quite ominous.

Yep despite some sources claiming otherwise I think Foley will retain him at 7-4.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It made a huge difference because if we went down by double digits I don't think we would have stuck with that running attack like we did.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n96681 said:
This. We did it more in 2012 though. The fake was so good, it almost faked out the camera man. Nobody expected it to come.

Of the ones I can remember, we faked a FG against FSU in 2012 that Trey and Clay Burton bungled. We also faked a FG and scored a TD against Louisville in the Sugar Bowl. We also had a handful of faked extra points in 2012, as well.

As far as fake punts go, I know we got the one at Vandy in 2012 and the one at LSU last year, but I can't remember any others that were successful. WM even joked about that in the press conference last night, how his fake kicks never seem to work.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n96682 said:
Yep despite some sources claiming otherwise I think Foley will retain him at 7-4.

that is what im most afraid of. it will be another disasterous decision on his part:headslap:

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To the original question..... save it from what?

* The issues are well documented but I just would like to know how one trick play "saves" Florida Football?

(After thinking about it, I think our OL might save this season.)

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I for one, never saw it coming. That hole opened up and McNeely scampered like his life depended on it and he scored...That was the first time in a very long time I actually left the couch with a vertical leap of surprise and joy.

Great call, great execution. Les Miles doing it, yes...Muschamp...go figure

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.