Dinner time

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Traditional GBM familly Christmas Eve dinner - despite none of us being an Italian - of Anti pasto and lasagna. As we are down at the in-laws I toned it down a bit on the anti-pasto (the lasagna is on Mrs G., who had help from Jr. this year).

Led off with homemade bruschetta, wafer crackers topped with mascarpone & fig jam, and pistachios, with a nice Prosecco (ignore the black lab passing through):
1671933465407.jpeg

Anti-pasto was the usual mix of cold cuts and cheeses, mushrooms, artichokes, roasted bell peppers, olives, Sun dried tomatoes, pickles, roasted green beans, caprese salad, hot garlic and peppers, and shrimp scampi. Took me a few days to put together, but was as usual, all worth it. (Accompanied by a simple Pinot Grigio from NE Italy. )

1671933842584.jpeg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm making wings later . Wife is making a dip of some sort. Will take pics for sure . What is everyone having for dinner tonight ?

PS -
Good looking lab there GBM.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Pappardelle with a red wine and meat Ragu. Was pretty easy to make other than finely chopping the veggies which takes a bit of time. The meat was a mix of beef, turkey, and pancetta. I have a suspicion the leftovers will be even better than the first night. Next time I may make the sauce a day in advance.

1672877240135.jpeg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Pappardelle with a red wine and meat Ragu. Was pretty easy to make other than finely chopping the veggies which takes a bit of time. The meat was a mix of beef, turkey, and pancetta. I have a suspicion the leftovers will be even better than the first night. Next time I may make the sauce a day in advance.

View attachment 53166
Fail... C'mon, man! You've got a plate that says "Farfalle"... what kind of f'n noodles are those?!?!?!?!?

(looks delicious, but, if you even THOUGHT of correcting me on the use of the word "noodles," you're a food douche!)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Fail... C'mon, man! You've got a plate that says "Farfalle"... what kind of f'n noodles are those?!?!?!?!?

(looks delicious, but, if you even THOUGHT of correcting me on the use of the word "noodles," you're a food douche!)
One - I freely admit to being a food douche; I thought we’d already settled that debate.

Two - I’m soooooo annoyed I did not put in my post that I was well aware the pasta was not Farfalle! (Or “bow-ties” for our Canadian in-bred, Michigan raised, Philistines.) If one of the pasta, excuse me “noooo-dle”, bowls was labeled “Pappardelle” I would have used it, but, alas, none are.

You know, it’s a good thing your a decent guy to drink with or I’d be inclined to write you off.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One - I freely admit to being a food douche; I thought we’d already settled that debate.

Two - I’m soooooo annoyed I did not put in my post that I was well aware the pasta was not Farfalle! (Or “bow-ties” for our Canadian in-bred, Michigan raised, Philistines.) If one of the pasta, excuse me “noooo-dle”, bowls was labeled “Pappardelle” I would have used it, but, alas, none are.

You know, it’s a good thing your a decent guy to drink with or I’d be inclined to write you off.
This reminds me of a time where my boss ordered linguine with clams at a restaurant and sent the dish back because it was pappardelle.

(Which by the way I completely understand because you want really thin pasta with a delicate sauce like that)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This reminds me of a time where my boss ordered linguine with clams at a restaurant and sent the dish back because it was pappardelle.

(Which by the way I completely understand because you want really thin pasta with a delicate sauce like that)
It sounds silly in a way that the shape and size of the pasta makes a difference, but it really is true.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Gator By Marriage I was reading your post on the pappardelle and thought of a segment on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives where Guy was at John’s Italian in NYC where they were making it. I tried to find the clip to share, but was unsuccessful (it was both hilarious and gastronomically entertaining). What I found instead was a clip that reminded me of how I feel when reading your and @soflagator ’s posts in this thread and then dining later on…

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@Gator By Marriage I was reading your post on the pappardelle and thought of a segment on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives where Guy was at John’s Italian in NYC where they were making it. I tried to find the clip to share, but was unsuccessful (it was both hilarious and gastronomically entertaining). What I found instead was a clip that reminded me of how I feel when reading your and @soflagator ’s posts in this thread and then dining later on…

I love his show and eaten in several of the featured restaurants.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You've had good experience with that?

I did it once in Pittsburgh. The place was terrible and not remotely what I expected from the way it was pitched in the show.
Sorry to hear that. I ate at the Triple XXX drive-in, in West Lafayette with my son while visiting Purdue. Didn't know it had been on the show until we went in. Decent breakfast spot, but nothing special. We went to two in Flagstaff, Arizona, Fat Olives and Salsa Brave, one on purpose and one unintentionally, both were outstanding. Piju Belly and Fox Bros. BBQ in Atlanta are also both very, very, good. Some of the other places here they've featured are above average at best.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 53166

Looks good . Where is the bread though ?
Can’t eat pasta without a good piece of bread . Breadstick , garlic bread whatever .

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You've had good experience with that?

I did it once in Pittsburgh. The place was terrible and not remotely what I expected from the way it was pitched in the show.
I guess you must’ve gone to one of the dives :dunno:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m such a failure…..:facepalm:
Here's my stab at this thread...

Tonight, wife 'n daughter made some schit... it had penne noodles, chicken, some sauce made with heavy whipping cream (I only know this because I was instructed to go buy some), and some sun dried tomato schit... I had seconds.

PS I was going to stop after the second use of "...", but wanted to paint the full picture for everyone... you're welcome.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Tonight, wife 'n daughter made some schit... it had penne noodles, chicken, some sauce made with heavy whipping cream (I only know this because I was instructed to go buy some), and some sun dried tomato schit... I had seconds.

PS I was going to stop after the "...", but wanted to paint the full picture for everyone... you're welcome.
Pictures or it didn’t happen.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

PS I was going to stop after the "...", but wanted to paint the full picture for everyone... you're welcome.

Chicken Alfredo without bread? Where ? Where is the bread ? . Instead of being a ribbon bully I’ll be a bread bully

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
      Members
      Latest member
      TheFoodGator