Dinner time

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Fried okra is the Hank Williams of southern vegetables. If you don't like Hank or fried okra you can kiss my........
9c9692c4adfc7ced7c776dcdd3e0a882.jpg
1688037790686.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fried okra is the Hank Williams of southern vegetables. If you don't like Hank or fried okra you can kiss my........
9c9692c4adfc7ced7c776dcdd3e0a882.jpg

I’m going to say I know and love all of Hank Williams’ songs just so we’re on the exact same page. Fried okra to me is the quintessential southern food. And that looks incredible.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I’m going to say I know and love all of Hank Williams’ songs just so we’re on the exact same page. Fried okra to me is the quintessential southern food. And that looks incredible.

I used Cajun fish fry mix for the light breading.

It is a good thing for my blood pressure locally grown okra is only available in the summer.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It is a good thing for my blood pressure locally grown okra is only available in the summer.

I was going to comment on that. I don’t like heavy breading on anything really, but especially okra. I don’t eat it often because I don’t eat southern food very often, but when I get it from Sonny’s(for example) I find myself peeling off about half of the breading for that reason. So much better that way.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Ooh, I'll have to try that mix on mine. My okra plants don't even have blossoms on them yet but my favorite is pan "fried" okra, corn and tomatoes. When I get the big tomatoes I'll stuff them with it and add some rice and parmesan or provolone cheese to make a meal. Still a few weeks away but I can't wait.

I harvested some yukon gold potatoes, green beans and zucchini from the garden last night and roasted them together in the oven with brussel sprouts, grape tomatoes, rice, grilled chicken, olive oil and seasonings.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Meat and potatoes

Strip steak on sale at Kroger
Green beans, zucchini and Yukon golds from the garden (asparagus and other potatoes leftover)

IMG_1808.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Purchased the only Boston Butt Kroger had the other day and put off cooking it until today. It was 20lbs and much larger than I wanted but figured I’d cook it all and freeze most of it into portions. Yesterday at 3pm I put a rub on it to sit overnight. By 4:30pm a terrible storm blew in with hail/winds and took out the power. Looks like it could be a few days before we get electricity. Seedy has all the fridges and freezers connected to the generator so that’s not a problem. Since I no longer have a smoker I was going to cook it 10 hours in the oven.

Now what? Can it sit for days in the fridge?
I have a gas and charcoal grill but not keen on using them for that long.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Purchased the only Boston Butt Kroger had the other day and put off cooking it until today. It was 20lbs and much larger than I wanted but figured I’d cook it all and freeze most of it into portions. Yesterday at 3pm I put a rub on it to sit overnight. By 4:30pm a terrible storm blew in with hail/winds and took out the power. Looks like it could be a few days before we get electricity. Seedy has all the fridges and freezers connected to the generator so that’s not a problem. Since I no longer have a smoker I was going to cook it 10 hours in the oven.

Now what? Can it sit for days in the fridge?
I have a gas and charcoal grill but not keen on using them for that long.
Day 3 without electricity.
Started the Boston butt on the charcoal grill with hickory wood chunks. Short time later I transferred it to the gas grill to maintain 200 degrees. Pulled it off the grill at 2:30am. It turned out significantly better than I’d expected all things considered. Seedy hasn’t shredded it yet because we went to a restaurant for AC and lunch.

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.