Dinner time

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No pix from lunch (I sweated down cooking and did good to finish) but we had hotdogs and smash burgers on the flattop with grilled onions and homemade fries. It was pretty good. What I do have a photo of is the beer my son brought…

IMG_1940.jpeg

…not something I’d get for when I’m cooking fish with the guys, but it was actually pretty good. I figure it was sort of a redneck Summer Shandy. Would drink again.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No pix from lunch (I sweated down cooking and did good to finish) but we had hotdogs and smash burgers on the flattop with grilled onions and homemade fries. It was pretty good. What I do have a photo of is the beer my son brought…

View attachment 59251

…not something I’d get for when I’m cooking fish with the guys, but it was actually pretty good. I figure it was sort of a redneck Summer Shandy. Would drink again.
Peach horse piss?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We’ve had an incredible amount of Yukon gold potatoes this year. I give away a lot of produce to friends and neighbors but wanted a way to preserve some potatoes. I came across “dry packing” them and tried it out to see if it works. I canned them yesterday and then opened one for dinner to try it out. The potatoes are not mushy at all and oven “fried” with olive oil and seasoning just like normal. I’ll chop them up small for canning next time though. Turned out much better than expected. Potatoes are the easiest crop to grow.

Smoked pulled pork, squash casserole, green beans and oven fried potatoes for a nice southern meal.

IMG_1938.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Macaroni and cheese just out of the oven…

IMG_1982.jpeg

…for lunch today to go along with a Coca-cola ham that’s in the oven. Missus is making a homemade peach pie. We went to Barney Ga last week and got some fresh peaches. Should be pretty good around the c2 house about 1:00!

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Waiting the egg to get hot and throw these slabs of pork steak on.
1610a5d7d2330cd986a79bb49b8ed0cf.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

Blackened Red grouper
Boucatini noodles in a spicy cream sauce with zucchini. Because we have so much zucchini.

Fish was good but I didn’t care for the sauce on the pasta. Maybe too much lemon.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
View attachment 59831

View attachment 59832

View attachment 59833

Blackened Red grouper
Boucatini noodles in a spicy cream sauce with zucchini. Because we have so much zucchini.

Fish was good but I didn’t care for the sauce on the pasta. Maybe too much lemon.

It wuz the zoookeeenie, next time use crooked neck yellow squash. If you can't get crooked neck yellow, just do without squash and everything will taste great. No zook squash in casa fodderwing!!!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
It wuz the zoookeeenie, next time use crooked neck yellow squash. If you can't get crooked neck yellow, just do without squash and everything will taste great. No zook squash in casa fodderwing!!!
I have squash too but chose zucchini tonight

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@CDGator the dish looks great! Snapper is my favorite fish from the sea. I think it can be easy to stump your toe with lemon. If you squeezed it on the fish, added to the sauce, and then another squeeze at the end…I like a lot of lemon on my fish, but recall some sauces made seem to intensify the acidic flavor after simmering. Nonetheless, the fish looks awesome and I’m a fan of zucchini. We like to roast it usually as a side. Wishing I had a piece of that filet right now!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_2103.jpeg

Sirloin steak was on sale today so I made steak tips with mashed potatoes. Celebratory dinner for Seedy’s promotion.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve had an incredible amount of Yukon gold potatoes this year. I give away a lot of produce to friends and neighbors but wanted a way to preserve some potatoes. I came across “dry packing” them and tried it out to see if it works. I canned them yesterday and then opened one for dinner to try it out.
Dry packing isn't considered safe. Without liquid you have slower and uneven heat transfer leaving a possibility of botulinum. 40 minute processing isn't enough for quarts.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Dry packing isn't considered safe. Without liquid you have slower and uneven heat transfer leaving a possibility of botulinum. 40 minute processing isn't enough for quarts.

I do appreciate your concern and have read about this as well.
Two things, it was pressure cooked and not water bathed and when they are opened they will be oven cooked a second time.

Or we die.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I do appreciate your concern and have read about this as well.
Two things, it was pressure cooked and not water bathed and when they are opened they will be oven cooked a second time.

Or we die.
I just canned boiled peanuts but not the dry pack method :lol:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. I bet that would work well with peanuts. Did you only use salt? Pressure or water bath?
I never water bath anything but myself and my Yorkie. The recipe calls for one cup of salt to 1 gallon of water to make a brine to pour into the jars but I cut the salt in half because I don't really like my peanuts real salty. I like my boiled peanuts crunchy so I don't know if 40 minutes at 10 lb pressure is going to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator