Dinner time

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
@CDGator that was more of a culinary tour than a vacation!! Very impressive.

It was interesting. We landed in San Jose and traffic was insane. Everything you would think traffic would be in a busy city in a third world country. Rules didn’t seem to apply. Motorcycles and pedestrians had a death wish. We finally got on our journey and were starving. Came up on a market on the side of the road. They didn’t speak English so I had to dig deep to conjure up words from Spanish class 30 years ago. didn’t want to go for the obvious tacos :lol: We had a blast. Money was in colones.

97F438CE-AF54-443C-9ED9-B5E20BCC9CE3.jpeg 81AC3C00-4152-45C8-AEE8-B005BE5D8567.jpeg

ADEE0988-8079-4679-A84D-1F705DFCFBB2.jpeg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We had some of the most amazing food in Costa Rica. I wasn’t expecting more than rice, beans and plantains but the restaurant a few doors down from our Air BNB knocked it out of the park. We ate there three times and everywhere else was goodish.

Shrimp Pasta
View attachment 33973

Ahi

View attachment 33974

Shrimp Ceviche

View attachment 33975

Dinner view

View attachment 33976

Shrimp étouffée

View attachment 33977

Ginger Ahi

View attachment 33978

Shrimp bisque - hands down most favorite dish ever! We all agreed this was the best dish we’ve ever tasted.
View attachment 33979

Mahi with mango

View attachment 33980

View attachment 33981

Amazing ahi Caesar salad - wanted to lick the plate! Forgot the photo until it was too late :lol:
View attachment 33982

All those great pics and no hamburger helper in sight , Amazing

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We did a low country boil today…

FAEE2E89-63E3-45DC-9B0B-83D92D9D5495.jpeg

…not the grapes or slaw, however, but the shrimp, fresh corn, smoked sausage, and new potatoes (not shown, I’m watching my carbs :)) were fitting. It was hot as blazes. Considered just letting the pot sit out in the sun. Probably would have cooked just as well.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Down at Mexico Beach for the weekend. The little town looks like close to half of it is rebuilt with a lot of construction still underway. All the new stuff beachside is up on piers. We stopped by our old favorite Killer Seafood. Their little shack was washed away and they are now operating out of a food truck under a pavilion/ pole barn at the same spot. Grilled fresh tuna tacos and jalapeño poppers are still great…

1BAF636E-3A6F-40FF-A7EA-8209435BA908.jpeg

Sorry I took a bite before considering a photo. It’s been since 2018 that I’ve been there and Mex Beach was a spot we vacationed every year that I can remember. Even though the time share we had enjoyed for about 8 years is gone (and doesn’t look like it’s coming back), it was nice to finally get back down that way.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Down at Mexico Beach for the weekend. The little town looks like close to half of it is rebuilt with a lot of construction still underway. All the new stuff beachside is up on piers. We stopped by our old favorite Killer Seafood. Their little shack was washed away and they are now operating out of a food truck under a pavilion/ pole barn at the same spot. Grilled fresh tuna tacos and jalapeño poppers are still great…

Sorry I took a bite before considering a photo. It’s been since 2018 that I’ve been there and Mex Beach was a spot we vacationed every year that I can remember. Even though the time share we had enjoyed for about 8 years is gone (and doesn’t look like it’s coming back), it was nice to finally get back down that way.

Nice! Many fond memories of Mexico Beach. I hope they keep the mom&pop feel with single houses and not add the condos of PCB. It’s has a unique small town charm but was almost wiped off the map. I really like Port St Joe and St George too.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice! Many fond memories of Mexico Beach. I hope they keep the mom&pop feel with single houses and not add the condos of PCB. It’s has a unique small town charm but was almost wiped off the map. I really like Port St Joe and St George too.
Here’s a shot I took as I was leaving…

0C22D474-A024-4D74-A3AA-9F2BE815D179.jpeg

This is kinda what things are looking like during the rebuild. Beachside, the only traditional single story houses were the ones that survived. All the build-backs are one or two floors on top of piers. Those houses are mostly hardy board siding. A lot of pastels. Nice looking, though. A little more modern, but retaining a little of the village feel. Not as much as before, however. It was nice to get back if just for the weekend.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

This is kinda what things are looking like during the rebuild. Beachside, the only traditional single story houses were the ones that survived. All the build-backs are one or two floors on top of piers. Those houses are mostly hardy board siding. A lot of pastels. Nice looking, though. A little more modern, but retaining a little of the village feel. Not as much as before, however. It was nice to get back if just for the weekend.

Looking good. Will Toucans rebuild on the beach? They had prime real estate.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Holy Driveway Pavers. Is that the normal landscape?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looking good. Will Toucans rebuild on the beach? They had prime real estate.
The owners have said it is their intention to rebuild, but so far nothing is underway.
Holy Driveway Pavers. Is that the normal landscape?
At some places, mostly clusters of townhouses. Still quite a bit of the sand / sea shell driveways.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Do they replicate the taste of the variety when grown in Italy?

Honestly I'm not sure what authentic Italian grown San Marzanos taste like. Someone mentioned them a few years ago so I started growing them. I like to gut them and dehydrate them in the oven with fresh basil and garlic spices. Then put them in olive oil in the fridge to use as needed in dishes like a sundried tomato.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
45166CD7-0065-4D0D-A992-3CD3A5C2E46B.jpeg

Little mixed grill this evening. Missus had a couple of sirloins and some chicken breasts thawed and finding we were out of Dale’s or Moore’s, I mixed up a homemade marinade with oil, balsamic, Worcestershire, soy sauce, dry mustard, garlic, onion, black pepper, and a pinch of sugar. It turned out right well after a little soak.

The beef is farm-raised and the salad tomatoes came out of the bucket garden. I made sure to have photographic evidence of the beef prepared to a nice rare / medium rare in case @NVGator drops by :). Back in the old days of my youth, steak, baked potato, and salad was about as uptown as we ever got. I still enjoy the simplicity from time to time.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Little mixed grill this evening. Missus had a couple of sirloins and some chicken breasts thawed and finding we were out of Dale’s or Moore’s, I mixed up a homemade marinade with oil, balsamic, Worcestershire, soy sauce, dry mustard, garlic, onion, black pepper, and a pinch of sugar. It turned out right well after a little soak.

The beef is farm-raised and the salad tomatoes came out of the bucket garden. I made sure to have photographic evidence of the beef prepared to a nice rare / medium rare in case @NVGator drops by :). Back in the old days of my youth, steak, baked potato, and salad was about as uptown as we ever got. I still enjoy the simplicity from time to time.
Steak looks cooked to perfection. I always like a marinade in Worcestershire before a simple S&P.
:
But WTH did you add those red things to that delicious salad?
:
We just had a week vacation in Sunriver, OR. 4 nights I grilled steaks for the family. Steaks and frites are the best.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Side note... anyone make a mean pimento cheese? My Grandmother made the best. Haven’t had it in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.