Disney Tips & Tricks

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
So, I’ve decided to donate a large portion of my salary to the house of mouse for my son. We’re staying 4 nights in a Cabin at Ft Wilderness, and we’re gonna try to do all 4 parks.

Been about 15 years since I’ve been to Disney, and things sure are different. Magic Bands, Genie Plus, Etc. I’m dropping some decent coin to that damn PC rat, and could use some help on making it the best experience possible

I got my magic bands, but one thing I can’t figure out is what exactly does Genie + do? It sounds like I can reserve some times for rides to get into the lightning lane. Is that right, and is it worth it.

I’d love to know other hacks to get around all the parks. I don’t have the patience for bull, and there’s lots of it at Disney if you’re not careful.

Also, if you’re thinking of going, the Florida resident specials they have right now are AWESOME, if you can go during a weekday, tickets are about $60 and rooms are also really cheap, by Disney standards.

Finally, a joke: Mickey goes to a divorce lawyer who tells Mickey that he can’t divorce Minnie because she’s crazy. Mickey responds, “I didn’t say she was crazy, I said she was f**cking Goofy”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Part of my family had the Disney Vacation Club and so we did a lot of trips when our kids were younger because they were largely covered. Here are my tips.

First, not overly familiar with the genie thing, but I’d probably shy away from it. You have to get in the queue for some rides at like 7 am on the dot the day of. It’s rough, but if you’ve committed to taking the family there, bite the bullet and do it. Tron at MK and Guardians of the Galaxy at Epcot are both examples of that. Not sure if Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood is or not. If it is, do that one as well. If you like Star Wars it’s great.

Doing all 4 parks in a row probably won’t be enjoyable. If possible, try to have an off day somewhere in there(you may have already planned that).

Don’t eat anywhere in MK. You’re better off trying to sneak into a local middle school cafeteria. Pack snacks and maybe do a turkey leg. Nothing more. While you’re over on that side, check out Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge(short boat ride from there and also from where you’re staying). Outside bar and restaurant on the lake. Really good buffalo burger and an IPA called Space Dust.

At Epcot, there’s a really cool cantina inside Mexico. Great way to beat the heat. Also a wine bar behind the restaurant in Italy and pub in the UK. Don’t go to Morocco. Place is terrible. They tried to make it the most accurate depiction of the real place and nailed it. You don’t stop, and only pass through out of complete necessity.

HS has a restaurant called Brown Derby. Very overrated and overpriced. But there’s a little outside bar cart, almost out of view, that has Macallan 12 & 18.

AK has a very solid food court type restaurant with decent food over by Avatar. That ride, btw, is worth it. The other version of it is not. Good margaritas at Tusker House outside bar.

In general, if you’re eating out, similar to elsewhere the mid level places are a ripoff and waste. If you’re planning to eat out, either do something a little nicer or just stick to like food court food.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
At Epcot, there’s a really cool cantina inside Mexico. Great way to beat the heat. Also a wine bar behind the restaurant in Italy and pub in the UK. Don’t go to Morocco. Place is terrible. They tried to make it the most accurate depiction of the real place and nailed it. You don’t stop, and only pass through out of complete necessity.
:rotfl: Sometimes the effort to be authentic can come back to bite ya... ;)

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Chat with @gator1946 He helped me out a few years ago when I took the youngins.

Pray for the small thundershower cells to roll through. When lightning is around, they ground the rides. Then, you can jump in the fast track lane again.

Do a dinner at the Hawaiian Island restaurant. It is well worth it and the family will never forget it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We went 4 years ago and the food sucks out loud most everywhere. Doing all 4 parks in 4 days? Just do a triathlon and save yourself about $5k. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We went 4 years ago and the food sucks out loud most everywhere. Doing all 4 parks in 4 days? Just do a triathlon and save yourself about $5k. :lol:

This. I’d say about 80-90% is Chili’s level food but even more expensive. Total waste. If you want decent food, you have to spend. Otherwise, find some decent food court place and then use the savings to buy more drinks. Or in his case, utilize the cabin’s kitchen and eat in.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This. I’d say about 80-90% is Chili’s level food but even more expensive. Total waste. If you want decent food, you have to spend. Otherwise, find some decent food court place and then use the savings to buy more drinks. Or in his case, utilize the cabin’s kitchen and eat in.
Ain't a solid chicken crisper in any of those parks, you better watch your damn mouth boy :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Have not been since they went crazy with COVID restrictions. When my oldest was young and we lived in Orlando we had season passes, which with a young kid, is awesome. Go whenever you want, stay for as little as you want, etc. We are thinking of getting some tickets for our youngest when he turns 4 in December and wanted to do the hotel, but man they hiked their prices trying to get back the money they lost during COVID. Just going to stay with the in-laws and go for the day. If you have younger kids MK and Hollywood were the best two parks. I know Epcot has more now then when we were going, but back then we got stuck in the area with the kiddie rides because he wasn't big enough for anything else and there were only like 3 rides. That was usually a Friday night after school thing. Animal Kingdom we never really went to.

Make sure to put the app on your phone to see the waits and have a plan. At MK, depending on the age, we would make a bee line for the snow white roller coaster as at the time it was the most popular ride and he was big enough to do it. From there we would hit stuff like Dumbo and things in that area as they never had to long of a ride. When done there we would make our decision on what area to go to next, but would usually be the Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean area. Outside of Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Tron and Snow White most rides will have time periods you can get in easy if you watch the app. For some reason Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan always had long rides, but they lines go pretty quick since its just continuous loading/unloading. You may not get everything, but you will get a good amount in.

Hollywood was always different and you're going to have to suck up the waits as you are at the mercy of the star wars rides not breaking.

Genie came along after we stopped going so not familiar with it. We used to have the fast pass system and it was much better from what I hear. However the magic band system is cool since your staying in the hotel as you can use it similar to apple pay and it all just go back to the room (unless they changed that to).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Have not been since they went crazy with COVID restrictions. When my oldest was young and we lived in Orlando we had season passes, which with a young kid, is awesome. Go whenever you want, stay for as little as you want, etc. We are thinking of getting some tickets for our youngest when he turns 4 in December and wanted to do the hotel, but man they hiked their prices trying to get back the money they lost during COVID. Just going to stay with the in-laws and go for the day. If you have younger kids MK and Hollywood were the best two parks. I know Epcot has more now then when we were going, but back then we got stuck in the area with the kiddie rides because he wasn't big enough for anything else and there were only like 3 rides. That was usually a Friday night after school thing. Animal Kingdom we never really went to.

Make sure to put the app on your phone to see the waits and have a plan. At MK, depending on the age, we would make a bee line for the snow white roller coaster as at the time it was the most popular ride and he was big enough to do it. From there we would hit stuff like Dumbo and things in that area as they never had to long of a ride. When done there we would make our decision on what area to go to next, but would usually be the Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean area. Outside of Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Tron and Snow White most rides will have time periods you can get in easy if you watch the app. For some reason Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan always had long rides, but they lines go pretty quick since its just continuous loading/unloading. You may not get everything, but you will get a good amount in.

Hollywood was always different and you're going to have to suck up the waits as you are at the mercy of the star wars rides not breaking.

Genie came along after we stopped going so not familiar with it. We used to have the fast pass system and it was much better from what I hear. However the magic band system is cool since your staying in the hotel as you can use it similar to apple pay and it all just go back to the room (unless they changed that to).

One of the greatest things about our kids getting older was them being ok to skip Peter Pan. That ride, combined with the wait, is the worst. Actually the jungle cruise is worse(not sure how it’s still in existence honestly), but at least the line for that one isn’t as bad. I’ve seen PP as long as 2+ hrs. Brutal.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
One of the greatest things about our kids getting older was them being ok to skip Peter Pan. That ride, combined with the wait, is the worst. Actually the jungle cruise is worse(not sure how it’s still in existence honestly), but at least the line for that one isn’t as bad. I’ve seen PP as long as 2+ hrs. Brutal.
Lol. I dread that one when we take our youngest. Luckily the line has never been as long as it says, but used to piss us off how they would just stop everything for the fast pass people constantly. The worst ride there is the stupid cars, but the Jungle Cruise is not worth a long wait either.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I was pissed when they changed the song on It's a Small World... but when they did the same for my beloved Peter Pan ride, I was DONE with that f'n place! Don't even get me started on the pussification of Pirates! DONE!!!!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was pissed when they changed the song on It's a Small World... but when they did the same for my beloved Peter Pan ride, I was DONE with that f'n place! Don't even get me started on the pussification of Pirates! DONE!!!!

Didn’t even know they had changed it. I’m a big fan of IASW because I enjoy cultural stereotypes.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
At least Peter Pan didn't have ANY of those!

Felt girls were inferior, called Indians red face and mocked their speech habits and tribal hollering.

Also was pursued by a scantily clad fairy who, again falling into stereotypes, was willing to see any rival mercilessly killed if need be to accomplish her stated goals.

Where are these problems you seem to see?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Chat with @gator1946 He helped me out a few years ago when I took the youngins.

Pray for the small thundershower cells to roll through. When lightning is around, they ground the rides. Then, you can jump in the fast track lane again.

Do a dinner at the Hawaiian Island restaurant. It is well worth it and the family will never forget it.
Years ago we took the kids to Universal and just as we got in the line for the Harry Potter ride it started pouring and was still pouring when we got off. Most people just stood near the exit or hung out in the gift shop. In a rare stroke of brilliance, I asked the kids if they wanted to go on the ride again and they naturally said "yes." As I suspected there was almost no line and we were back on the ride in about ten minutes. When we finished the second time it had stopped raining. (Of course the whole place was now a sauna.)
When we went to Disney 10+ years ago we stayed at a nearby Embassy Suites (with a free shuttle to the park) and loaded the kids up with a big breakfast and carried snacks (apples, carrots, peanut butter crackers) and water around all day and they were pretty satisfied. I only remember eating one meal at Epcot and one at MK.

@Alumni Guy - We were there in early summer so it was hotter than the seven circles of hell. At one point we were all miserable and exhausted and went to the theater where they show "Mickey's Phiharmagic." Two great things about this experience: the theater is well air conditioned and at one point the audience gets sprinkled with a fog of water. Oh, and not much of a line to go in. The bad news is the movie is less than 15 minutes long; still, we were re-invigorated at least temporarily. When they crashed the second time we went back to the hotel and had a swim. Mrs G. did a fun thing every day: she'd sneak back to the room after we left every morning or for dinner and put some kind of Disney object (a stuffed animal, a beach towel, etc.) on each of the kids beds and when we came back to the room and would proclaim it was "Disney Magic." They were pretty young obviously so this may not work with your kid.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Felt girls were inferior, called Indians red face and mocked their speech habits and tribal hollering.

Also was pursued by a scantily clad fairy who, again falling into stereotypes, was willing to see any rival mercilessly killed if need be to accomplish her stated goals.

Where are these problems you seem to see?
Incorrrect... they merely asked "who made the red man red?" Fair enough if you ask me.

Serious question though (a poll may be necessary): who's hotter:
  1. Tinkerbell from Peter Pan? tinkerbell.jpg
  2. Crysta from Ferngully? Crysta.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Years ago we took the kids to Universal and just as we got in the line for the Harry Potter ride it started pouring and was still pouring when we got off. Most people just stood near the exit or hung out in the gift shop. In a rare stroke of brilliance, I asked the kids if they wanted to go on the ride again and they naturally said "yes." As I suspected there was almost no line and we were back on the ride in about ten minutes. When we finished the second time it had stopped raining. (Of course the whole place was now a sauna.)

When we went to Disney 10+ years ago we stayed at a nearby Embassy Suites (with a free shuttle to the park) and loaded the kids up with a big breakfast and carried snacks (apples, carrots, peanut butter crackers) and water around all day and they were pretty satisfied. I only remember eating one meal at Epcot and one at MK.

@Alumni Guy - We were there in early summer so it was hotter than the seven circles of hell. At one point we were all miserable and exhausted and went to the theater where they show "Mickey's Phiharmagic." Two great things about this experience: the theater is well air conditioned and at one point the audience gets sprinkled with a fog of water. Oh, and not much of a line to go in. The bad news is the movie is less than 15 minutes long; still, we were re-invigorated at least temporarily. When they crashed the second time we went back to the hotel and had a swim. Mrs G. did a fun thing every day: she'd sneak back to the room after we left every morning or for dinner and put some kind of Disney object (a stuffed animal, a beach towel, etc.) on each of the kids beds and when we came back to the room and would proclaim it was "Disney Magic." They were pretty young obviously so this may not work with your kid.
Soooooo many wrong directions I could take this... sooooo many

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
  1. that "sprinkle" wasn't what you thought it was.
  2. Something to do with Mrs. G and "Disney Magic", but wife comments are verboten in my book.
1. That one did cross my mind at the time, but at least the liquid in question was odorless and non-staining. I prefer to think it was water and thus, it was water.
2. Thank you for avoiding wife comments - agree they are verboten - but in this case the she was gone so briefly the kids never even noticed and thus there could not have been any inappropriate activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator