Disney Tips & Tricks

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For fun, maybe when I finally meet Stella, I'll very prominently wear a Star of David necklace! Should be fun!

Yeah I don’t want to rain in any parades here, but Stella-Marie is a problem. And as for her being the ruler of the house, while I don’t know Colombian culture as well, it’s been my experience that in much of the Spanish cultures the husbands ruled with an iron fist(based on cultural upbringing) and then completely lose ground sometime late teenage-kids years and spend the rest of their days paying for those previous sins. Like we’ve talked about regarding political leaders in those countries being unwilling to relinquish power because of what they know it will entail. Very similar. And it won’t completely surface until your daughter has their first child. Light switch moment.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: and :fistbump:

But I'm kinda calling bullschit on this made up sounding story... did you hang a fuk ton of Christmas lights that year? And, as you were doing so, did said BIL and co. arrive in an RV?
No BS but 2 things…No RV but it would’ve enhanced the story. They live in West Fl so…and second, my missus always goes overboard with the lights but not to the point of blowing the transformer. And I’ve also found that a little alcohol is good. Luckily I’m a happy and not mean drunk.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
NobBS but 2 things…No RV but it would’ve enhanced the story. They live in West Fl so…and second, my missus always goes overboard with the lights but not to the point of blowing the transformer. And I’ve also found that a little alcohol is good. Luckily I’m a happy and not mean drunk.
i'm a "90-10 situational" drunk

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My parents took my three brothers and I to Disney when we were kids. I was so young that I hardly remember much about it other than the elevated train ride into the park, which was cool even for a young kid, and the Space Mountain roller coaster.

Mrs. Nalt and I were going to take our kids down there back in 2012. We had more than enough $$ saved up and had all intentions of going after school let out for the summer in May. Then Congress passed the Unaffordable Care Act which took effect on 1 January 2012. At the time we had three kids taking medication to help them focus during the school days. It also helped subdue their behavior so they got along better with their peers, teachers and the wife and I. We were spending ~ $45-50/month for all three kid's meds. Starting January 1, 2024, that cost went to over $450/month so it didn't take long to drain our Disney trip savings. I have NOT regretted missing out on that trip yet.
1698433070803.png

In other words “I HOPE this shti will CHANGE!”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah I don’t want to rain in any parades here, but Stella-Marie is a problem. And as for her being the ruler of the house, while I don’t know Colombian culture as well, it’s been my experience that in much of the Spanish cultures the husbands ruled with an iron fist(based on cultural upbringing) and then completely lose ground sometime late teenage-kids years and spend the rest of their days paying for those previous sins. Like we’ve talked about regarding political leaders in those countries being unwilling to relinquish power because of what they know it will entail. Very similar. And it won’t completely surface until your daughter has their first child. Light switch moment.
Fully aware... to her credit, we didn't think there was a chance in hell she'd approve of our "whiter than white" blonde haired, blue eyed daughter, but I think Stella is pretty crafty and has beyond fully accepted her (as have the grandmothers in Colombia)... I picture her as some kind of "Emperor Palpatine" who understands the value of keeping one foot in the old country, the other in full assimilation of the new world... but I'm always waiting for her trickeration... kind of like the Muslim Morrocan/Tunisian dudes on 90 Day Fiance that rope in some stupid American girl by being nice until it's too late and they've gone "full retard Muslim male" on them!

I'm watchin'... I'm watchin'...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fully aware... to her credit, we didn't think there was a chance in hell she'd approve of our "whiter than white" blonde haired, blue eyed daughter, but I think Stella is pretty crafty and has beyond fully accepted her (as have the grandmothers in Colombia)... I picture her as some kind of "Emperor Palpatine" who understands the value of keeping one foot in the old country, the other in full assimilation of the new world... but I'm always waiting for her trickeration... kind of like the Muslim Morrocan/Tunisian dudes on 90 Day Fiance that rope in some stupid American girl by being nice until it's too late and they've gone "full retard Muslim male" on them!

I'm watchin'... I'm watchin'...

The grandmothers are usually great. But then as you get closer to the family and learn more, you realize they’re pretty high maintenance and quietly despised but the kids. Personally, I fell in love with my wife’s grandmother when I first met her because I didn’t really have much of a grandmother growing up. She accepted me immediately and has always been great to me. So I still have a soft spot in my heart for her and refuse to hear the kids or grandkids being critical of her in my house, lest they too would like to join the banned club.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The grandmothers are usually great. But then as you get closer to the family and learn more, you realize they’re pretty high maintenance and quietly despised but the kids. Personally, I fell in love with my wife’s grandmother when I first met her because I didn’t really have much of a grandmother growing up. She accepted me immediately and has always been great to me. So I still have a soft spot in my heart for her and refuse to hear the kids or grandkids being critical of her in my house, lest they too would like to join the banned club.
This is where my now deleted post would have been...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A bit too late for you since you have already made reservations, but for others…

Stay off-campus. Lots of timeshare/condo type resorts (2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, washer/dryer) in the area with great amenities packages (lazy river, water slides, mini-golf, etc.). You only have to pay for one unit, you can stay in comfort, and you’ll save lots of money with the kitchen. They also offer free transportation to the parks which saves you a ton on parking.

Rent 5-6 nights for a 3 day park hopper or 7 nights for a 5 day park hopper. You can book extra nights because it’s so much cheaper than staying on Disney property. After going hard at a park for a day, take the next day off. Your feet, your wallet, and your sanity will appreciate it. Sit by the pool, enjoy a cold beer, take a lap around the lazy River, get pizza for lunch, maybe watch a game. Plenty of ways for the kids to burn energy at the resort’s amenities but you need a little rest and relaxation. Then hit another park tomorrow. Alternate park days and resort days. This is the way.

Also…

Wear comfortable shoes. Apply waterproof sunblock lotion and reapply. Blistex or chapstick too. Stay hydrated. Take lots of pictures.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A bit too late for you since you have already made reservations, but for others…

Stay off-campus. Lots of timeshare/condo type resorts (2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full kitchen, washer/dryer) in the area with great amenities packages (lazy river, water slides, mini-golf, etc.). You only have to pay for one unit, you can stay in comfort, and you’ll save lots of money with the kitchen. They also offer free transportation to the parks which saves you a ton on parking.

Rent 5-6 nights for a 3 day park hopper or 7 nights for a 5 day park hopper. You can book extra nights because it’s so much cheaper than staying on Disney property. After going hard at a park for a day, take the next day off. Your feet, your wallet, and your sanity will appreciate it. Sit by the pool, enjoy a cold beer, take a lap around the lazy River, get pizza for lunch, maybe watch a game. Plenty of ways for the kids to burn energy at the resort’s amenities but you need a little rest and relaxation. Then hit another park tomorrow. Alternate park days and resort days. This is the way.

Also…

Wear comfortable shoes. Apply waterproof sunblock lotion and reapply. Blistex or chapstick too. Stay hydrated. Take lots of pictures.

Alex.

I’m going to have to disagree with this one, Alex. In theory, it would make sense to stay some place off property if it’s cheaper. The problem with that theory, though, is that it becomes a contradiction. If you’re going to do just the parks, then where you is almost irrelevant. But then that leads you back to four straight days of parks, which is exhausting and miserable. So then you do want to have a pool day or two mixed in. But have you seen most of the time share places around Kissimmee? Not to mention the clientele that would frequent such places? You’re talking bottom of the barrel here. I’m not navigating a lazy river with tatted up white trash and/or extensions floating by, while sending my kids off to get a foot fungus playing with the baby in a diaper at the splash pad. So you’d have to go to nicer resorts, killing most if not all of your savings. Not to mention the time wasted sitting on 192 or I4, forcing you to get up an hour earlier and get to bed an hour later than need be. There are reasonable places like the Swan/Dolphin or some of the moderate Disney resorts that are a much better option, especially with Fl residency factored in. You’re spending money either way. Give yourself an actual vacation.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Luckily I have had no reason to visit Disney in the past 20 yrs. You couldn't force me to go there now. Last went to Universal & Sea World about 15 yrs ago. I want to go to Dezerland. Hopefully my grandkids will visit next year, ages will be 9 & 7. I'll take them to the beach, springs, a rocket launch, fishing/boating, and whatever else we have time for.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Thanks for all the tips. This genie, genie+, lightning lane, is just too damn much. Too many people, including myself, staring at phones and being tied down to a schedule. Can’t stand it.

Day 1 under the belt. Animal Kingdom in the rear view mirror. This is the time to go, we literally didn’t wait more than 10 minutes in line once, and the cold front was an added bonus. Didn’t miss a single ride.

Regarding the on/off campus debate: we’re staying at the cabins at Ft Wilderness and couldn’t be happier. Stove, microwave, fridge and our own charcoal grill to save on meals, and there’s some peace and quiet to be found. Simple bus/boat ride to the parks.

I must admit, the avatar 3D motion simulator ride at animal kingdom is absolutely AMAZING. You’re inside an imax 3D bubble while you sit on a motion simulator bike. Beyond amazing. You must do it once in your life: can’t stress it enough.

Magic Kingdom Tomorrow: pray for me.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for all the tips. This genie, genie+, lightning lane, is just too damn much. Too many people, including myself, staring at phones and being tied down to a schedule. Can’t stand it.

Day 1 under the belt. Animal Kingdom in the rear view mirror. This is the time to go, we literally didn’t wait more than 10 minutes in line once, and the cold front was an added bonus. Didn’t miss a single ride.

Regarding the on/off campus debate: we’re staying at the cabins at Ft Wilderness and couldn’t be happier. Stove, microwave, fridge and our own charcoal grill to save on meals, and there’s some peace and quiet to be found. Simple bus/boat ride to the parks.

I must admit, the avatar 3D motion simulator ride at animal kingdom is absolutely AMAZING. You’re inside an imax 3D bubble while you sit on a motion simulator bike. Beyond amazing. You must do it once in your life: can’t stress it enough.

Magic Kingdom Tomorrow: pray for me.
This time of year (September & October) are usually the best times of the year for the shortest lines. Not that you won't run into long lines, just tends to be "less people" this time of year because of kids going back to school, than other times of the year.
Magic Kingdom is obviously the primary park so you're probably going to see more lines there today, than you did at Animal Kingdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.