Disney Tips & Tricks

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Advice: don’t go

Tricks: bring in water and snacks.
Go to your local Disney store/online and get stupid t-shirts costumes etc before you go for a fraction of the price. Pack it and give it to the kids after the park visit.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Years ago we took the kids to Universal and just as we got in the line for the Harry Potter ride it started pouring and was still pouring when we got off. Most people just stood near the exit or hung out in the gift shop. In a rare stroke of brilliance, I asked the kids if they wanted to go on the ride again and they naturally said "yes." As I suspected there was almost no line and we were back on the ride in about ten minutes. When we finished the second time it had stopped raining. (Of course the whole place was now a sauna.)

When we went to Disney 10+ years ago we stayed at a nearby Embassy Suites (with a free shuttle to the park) and loaded the kids up with a big breakfast and carried snacks (apples, carrots, peanut butter crackers) and water around all day and they were pretty satisfied. I only remember eating one meal at Epcot and one at MK.

@Alumni Guy - We were there in early summer so it was hotter than the seven circles of hell. At one point we were all miserable and exhausted and went to the theater where they show "Mickey's Phiharmagic." Two great things about this experience: the theater is well air conditioned and at one point the audience gets sprinkled with a fog of water. Oh, and not much of a line to go in. The bad news is the movie is less than 15 minutes long; still, we were re-invigorated at least temporarily. When they crashed the second time we went back to the hotel and had a swim. Mrs G. did a fun thing every day: she'd sneak back to the room after we left every morning or for dinner and put some kind of Disney object (a stuffed animal, a beach towel, etc.) on each of the kids beds and when we came back to the room and would proclaim it was "Disney Magic." They were pretty young obviously so this may not work with your kid.

My son loved Phiharmagic and was a go to resting spot. My wife loves the carousel of progress which is also a nice break stop as well as the people mover.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know I’m the outlier here, but we took our kids to Disney once, stayed two days, and that was enough for one lifetime. They’re grown now and like to tell about asking a few months after the trip if we could go back again and me telling them “sorry, kids, but I just read in the paper that there was a terrible fire and Disney burned to the ground; they’re not gonna rebuild!” But to be fair, it was a good trip, just very tiring. We went on fall break, arrived on Thursday and did the Magic Kingdom. Then wrapped it up on Friday in the Animal part. Hot as Hell, dusty, and what I imagined being a fugitive in the Ottoman Empire must’ve been like. We did pack plenty of snacks and water, thank goodness, which sustained us and prevented buying food while in the park that day. Incidentally, we ate at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant Thursday evening for the same money we bought hamburgers, fries, and drinks for four in the Magic Kingdom.

I’m glad we’ve been there and done that, but truthfully, the kids have never asked to go back. I’m sure when grandkids come we’ll probably get roped into going back and I’ll put on my best manners and get through it, but on the whole, I’d rather go to the beach or the mountains and truthfully, so would our kids. Each to his own, I guess.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Been twice in my life and will never set foot in their liberal PC ****holes again.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m sure when grandkids come we’ll probably get roped into going back and I’ll put on my best manners and get through it, but on the whole, I’d rather go to the beach or the mountains and truthfully, so would our kids. Each to his own, I guess.
This is what scares the schit out of me… not the prospect of having to pay for it, but at this point in life, I gotta piss a lot… will be PMing Coach for “catheter tips”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Incorrrect... they merely asked "who made the red man red?" Fair enough if you ask me.

Serious question though (a poll may be necessary): who's hotter:
  1. Tinkerbell from Peter Pan? View attachment 63335
  2. Crysta from Ferngully? View attachment 63337

This is tough for me. I’m a brunette guy, but not sure I’m comfortable with any girl named Crysta. I’ve never even heard of this movie Ferngully, but I have to imagine the episode or sequel where she gets a full sleeve and has three kids out of wedlock was probably pretty controversial.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Last time I went, it was the TRIP FROM HELL about a decade ago. My wife’s sister came down from Michigan with her church group in August. Let me restate: IN AUGUST. August In Fla Sucks, Change My Mind

Have you ever tried to navigate Disney, IN AUGUST, with 20 people who have never been there. I was low man on Totem Pole, and there were some alpha male d-bags who insisted they knew more about Disney than me.

So, I just had to sit there and shut up as they made dumb decision after dumb decision with a bunch of people I didn’t care for.

To top it off, we had to stay at the crappiest hotel on campus. There was no escape and it was worse torture than being stuck in its a small world for 24 straight hours.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Last time I went, it was the TRIP FROM HELL about a decade ago. My wife’s sister came down from Michigan with her church group in August. Let me restate: IN AUGUST. August In Fla Sucks, Change My Mind

Have you ever tried to navigate Disney, IN AUGUST, with 20 people who have never been there. I was low man on Totem Pole, and there were some alpha male d-bags who insisted they knew more about Disney than me.

So, I just had to sit there and shut up as they made dumb decision after dumb decision with a bunch of people I didn’t care for.

To top it off, we had to stay at the crappiest hotel on campus. There was no escape and it was worse torture than being stuck in its a small world for 24 straight hours.

That’s really the point. I grew up going to Disney all the time and we still take our kids a few times each year. But from May to September, it’s completely off limits, minus maybe an evening stop in. It’s just not that hard. You wouldn’t stand around outside doing anything else(not water related) in Orlando during summer. Why would anyone think that rule doesn’t apply to Disney? It’s just dumb, and almost every bad story starts with “well, it was June/July/Aug…” There’s an entire 5-6 months of decent weather to do those trips. I was just there last Saturday and it was like a high of 82 and partly cloudy. By dusk it was low 60s. That’s mid October.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That’s really the point. I grew up going to Disney all the time and we still take our kids a few times each year. But from May to September, it’s completely off limits, minus maybe an evening stop in. It’s just not that hard. You wouldn’t stand around outside doing anything else(not water related) in Orlando during summer. Why would anyone think that rule doesn’t apply to Disney? It’s just dumb, and almost every bad story starts with “well, it was June/July/Aug…” There’s an entire 5-6 months of decent weather to do those trips. I was just there last Saturday and it was like a high of 82 and partly cloudy. By dusk it was low 60s. That’s mid October.
I don't know, Alumni kinda sounds pussy whipped to me...

Pro-Married for 38 years and a day (yesterday was anniversary) Tip #1: Don't do SCHIT with your wife's sister and her family!

In full disclosure, I'm just lucky to have the wife that said "Helllllllll 'naw!!!" to her mom who suggested, "I'd really like it if you'd spend more time with evil fukked up Janet and her fukked up kids from hell"

We did Disney lots of times when the kids were younger... but just me, my wife, and our three kids, almost always in October or November... no fukked up family allowed!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Pro-Married for 38 years and a day (yesterday was anniversary) Tip #1: Don't do SCHIT with your wife's sister and her family!

In full disclosure, I'm just lucky to have the wife that said "Helllllllll 'naw!!!" to her mom who suggested, "I'd really like it if you'd spend more time with evil fukked up Janet and her fukked up kids from hell"

We did Disney lots of times when the kids were younger... but just me, my wife, and our three kids, almost always in October or November... no fukked up family allowed!

I don’t want to alarm anyone, or change their view of me, but I at times have some pretty strong opinions on matters, particularly people. I would have preferred it differently, but several on my wife’s side, including her sibling have either taken a total of one vacation with us in 15 years or have never been invited. Four others are, or have at one time been, banned from my house. I don’t do down time with stupidity and drama. And I refuse to do last minute “maybe we’ll join you” ideas either. Fortunately, for me, planning is a big deal with the types of trips we take, and that is a foreign concept to most of my in-laws. Also, ironically, when we first started dating, she told me a story of the one time her family had gone to a Disney. It started with the words, “well it was August…” :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Hell to the yeah. I made that command decision the first year of my marriage when my BIL and co. showed up for Christmas, didn’t bring shti for the meal while toting all the leftovers back home (I grilled ribeyes), and screwed us all with a selection of goods from the Wal-Mart discounts/returns shelf after my missus went out of the way to get nice, tasteful gifts. Now lest you think I’m a true bastid, let me just say that I believe Christmas should truly be about the giving…but for some it’s ALL about the getting. In a nutshell, “fool me once, f you forever!” Hence my solidarity with @Detroitgator on this matter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hell to the yeah. I made that command decision the first year of my marriage when my BIL and co. showed up for Christmas, didn’t bring shti for the meal while toting all the leftovers back home (I grilled ribeyes), and screwed us all with a selection of goods from the Wal-Mart discounts/returns shelf after my missus went out of the way to get nice, tasteful gifts. Now lest you think I’m a true bastid, let me just say that I believe Christmas should truly be about the giving…but for some it’s ALL about the getting. In a nutshell, “fool me once, f you forever!” Hence my solidarity with @Detroitgator on this matter.

I hope you didn’t go falling in love with that RV of his. Because I imagine he took it with him when he left there the next month.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don’t want to alarm anyone, or change their view of me, but I at times have some pretty strong opinions on matters, particularly people. I would have preferred it differently, but several on my wife’s side, including her sibling have either taken a total of one vacation with us in 15 years or have never been invited. Four others are, or have at one time been, banned from my house. I don’t do down time with stupidity and drama. And I refuse to do last minute “maybe we’ll join you” ideas either. Fortunately, for me, planning is a big deal with the types of trips we take, and that is a foreign concept to most of my in-laws. Also, ironically, when we first started dating, she told me a story of the one time her family had gone to a Disney. It started with the words, “well it was August…” :lol:
Yeah, when I say "family," i mean me, my wife, and our three kids.... err'body else can pretty much die in a fire as far as I am concerned.

As of now, Colombian Coffee Bean Farm boyfriend is "in." While we haven't met the rest of his family yet, this is my current assessment:
  • His older brother is a loser (not in the traditional sense, just my judgmental sense). I think he was the traditional "old country + super Catholic" favored/pampered "oldest son." He's out.
  • "Stella-Maria" is the matriarch... I predict trouble, even if she initially seems to be "OK."
  • Paolo is the dad. Not enough data to properly make final judgment. He seems outwardly very successful, but Stella rules the roost, so he (probably wisely) stays in his lane. Pretty sure I'd like this guy one on one, because I get it.
  • I'm stopping 'cuz this is starting to sound like some "Real Housewives of Boca" schit!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you didn’t go falling in love with that RV of his. Because I imagine he took it with him when he left there the next month.
Sorry if I came across as a little ‘bitter’ about BIL and co. Let me put on my happy face…

1698431650515.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
:lol: and :fistbump:

But I'm kinda calling bullschit on this made up sounding story... did you hang a fuk ton of Christmas lights that year? And, as you were doing so, did said BIL and co. arrive in an RV?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, when I say "family," i mean me, my wife, and our three kids.... err'body else can pretty much die in a fire as far as I am concerned.

As of now, Colombian Coffee Bean Farm boyfriend is "in." While we haven't met the rest of his family yet, this is my current assessment:
  • His older brother is a loser (not in the traditional sense, just my judgmental sense). I think he was the traditional "old country + super Catholic" favored/pampered "oldest son." He's out.
  • "Stella-Maria" is the matriarch... I predict trouble, even if she initially seems to be "OK."
  • Paolo is the dad. Not enough data to properly make final judgment. He seems outwardly very successful, but Stella rules the roost, so he (probably wisely) stays in his lane. Pretty sure I'd like this guy one on one, because I get it.
  • I'm stopping 'cuz this is starting to sound like some "Real Housewives of Boca" schit!

I tried reading the post, but all I could heard was your Real Housewives intro…“I’m an international arms dealer, I wear mandals, and I don’t have time to waste on overly negative Jewish personal trainers in the chat.”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I tried reading the post, but all I could heard was your Real Housewives intro…“I’m an international arms dealer, I wear mandals, and I don’t have time to waste on overly negative Jewish personal trainers in the chat.”
For fun, maybe when I finally meet Stella, I'll very prominently wear a Star of David necklace! Should be fun!

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My parents took my three brothers and I to Disney when we were kids. I was so young that I hardly remember much about it other than the elevated train ride into the park, which was cool even for a young kid, and the Space Mountain roller coaster.

Mrs. Nalt and I were going to take our kids down there back in 2012. We had more than enough $$ saved up and had all intentions of going after school let out for the summer in May. Then Congress passed the Unaffordable Care Act which took effect on 1 January 2012. At the time we had three kids taking medication to help them focus during the school days. It also helped subdue their behavior so they got along better with their peers, teachers and the wife and I. We were spending ~ $45-50/month for all three kid's meds. Starting January 1, 2024, that cost went to over $450/month so it didn't take long to drain our Disney trip savings. I have NOT regretted missing out on that trip yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator