Dumbest playcall of all time? UGA fans melting down

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh look, Swonkey, Kirby with a fake justify,...'cause it was there. Should work.?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The stupid son of a bitch still thinks it was a good call. Kirby smart has to be one of the dumbest people on planet earth .

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
You know something, I know Emory was not as highly rated, but he always looked confident when he played, even when he played at WLOCP. Justin Fields just looked like a deer in head lights all year. Not even running well.

I think we got the better DT QB in 2018. Or Mullen is just a much better QB developer.

I had similar thoughts as well. Admittedly, we haven't seen that much of either player, but EJ does carry himself with an air of confidence and "command" that seems to mark the guys who truly have "it." And his vestigial stat line really is pretty darn good. Dawg boy is, however, quite a bit larger and may well have better physical tools - arm strength, overall physicality, etcetera. It is wise to remember too, that JF was facing the Evil Empire, while EJ, in his most extensive opportunity to date, was displaying his skills against the CFB equivalent of the "Minions." But I do like EJ a lot, and I totally agree that DM is the QB guru we need to maximize EJ's potential to the fullest.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Jeez...kinda reminds me of 4th & dumb in '76 (UF vs leghumpers), cost us an SEC Championship by DAD (doug dickhead).
And another thing, Fromms stats reminded me of a quote: "Statistics are for losers"... Paul Bear Bryant.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not only that but Fields is obviously RUNNING. He starts left, sees an end staying home, cuts back right. He doesn't look downfield at all. Unless he just Driskeled it.

Disagree, he pulls the ball to his ear initially, sees everyone is covered, and then panics. When you look at the replay you can see WELL before the snap that everyone is covered. Why doesn’t Dumb call a timeout there?

It was a pass play, but you put a true freshman out there, and you a) don’t tell him what to do if the pass isn’t there, or b) don’t protect him by calling timeout?

It’s a questionable call if everything goes right! With everything that goes wrong, but you still let the play happen? It’s absolutely beautiful.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Now to the OP's point: While I am as concerned as anyone about the need for better talent/depth, if we hope to regain our former status at the pinnacle of CFB, I am comforted by two unassailable facts. Firstly, Saban will eventually have to fulfill his end of his bargain with the devil by toddling off to FB Hades - probably in the not too distant future. Secondly, when it comes to game management, in crucial moments against top-flight competition, KS is a ****ing moron. Both of these happy facts bode well for the good guys, in the sweet by and by.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“Yeah, we had been carrying that for -- actually carried it last year," Smart said. "Thought it was there, and it was there today. We were going to snap the ball quick. We took too long to snap the ball. They didn't have a guy covered. We had a guy wide open. We took so long to snap it, that they recognized it and got the guy covered late. It was probably 20, 30 yards' field position that -- we came to win the game. We wanted to win the game.

"I talked to the guys before the game about it. If we get an opportunity to run it, we'll run it. It was there. We just didn't get an opportunity to get it snapped before they covered the guy."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Guy was wide open" :lmao2:

What game was he watching? :rotfl:
Yeah, I watched this several times. I don't see anyone open.

He is right, though. It took way too long to unfold.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Compare UGA's disastrous attempt at a fake punt and Mullen's masterpiece of a fake punt against Vandy. We have the better coach. Once we get the players we will dominate the SEC.

Your point is well taken and I have zero interest in Smart, but in fairness other than those plays being fake punts, the comparison is apples to oranges. Don;t get me wrong the fake punt at Vandy was a beautiful call and was an option play that if the look was there, take it. they did and it was great coaching. But given the stakes, the timing, the circumstances, comparing the 2 situations is not really fair. I thought Smart was a terrible game coach his 1st year, but seems to have improved and yesterday they called a great game, until that horrendous fake call.

But to our coach, I can honestly say that Cousin Eddie made obvious mistakes in every game this year that was obvious and head scratching, on both sides of the ball. The only game where the coaching did not matter was the Mizzou game. Other than that I can give you specific plays in every conference game and FSU where the management was terrible. Whomever you think is the better coach is fine, but I know I long for a staff where we can play those defensive concepts that those 2 defenses were playing yesterday. Sure those 2 teams are supremely talented, but what I am talking about is the coaching and not just the athleticism.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Your point is well taken and I have zero interest in Smart, but in fairness other than those plays being fake punts, the comparison is apples to oranges. Don;t get me wrong the fake punt at Vandy was a beautiful call and was an option play that if the look was there, take it. they did and it was great coaching. But given the stakes, the timing, the circumstances, comparing the 2 situations is not really fair. I thought Smart was a terrible game coach his 1st year, but seems to have improved and yesterday they called a great game, until that horrendous fake call.

But to our coach, I can honestly say that Cousin Eddie made obvious mistakes in every game this year that was obvious and head scratching, on both sides of the ball. The only game where the coaching did not matter was the Mizzou game. Other than that I can give you specific plays in every conference game and FSU where the management was terrible. Whomever you think is the better coach is fine, but I know I long for a staff where we can play those defensive concepts that those 2 defenses were playing yesterday. Sure those 2 teams are supremely talented, but what I am talking about is the coaching and not just the athleticism.
I have to agree. There always seemed to be a handful of plays pretty much every game where you said "what in the #### is Mullen thinking???" Other than that 1 fake punt play I never thought that last night.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If Kirby’s excuse for the play not working is the snap not happening on time, then why did he let the play happen once he noticed it was taking too long to run it? And if he noticed the open receiver was covered up presnap, why didn’t he call timeout? He’s making himself look far worse by trying to explain why he let it happen.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
The Saban Tree Sprigs proved 16x collectively they are no match for Daddy.

We gots the Creme de la Creme of the Urbs Tree....

So Be of Good Cheer :chomp:s! For....
TheEndIsNear.gif

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But in football all around, nothing will ever approach Seattle throwing the ball from the 1 yd, line against New England in the Super Bowl with one of the best RB's in the league, against one of the worst run defenses in the league who was exhausted at the time. That will always be #1 as the worst play call in a football game of all time and will never be eclipsed.

Wrong as usual.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I'm not the first to call out this name, Kirby Dumb.

Cool! It’s a name Both for him AND calling a play that’s destined to lose you a game.

“It’s fourth and 11 under two minutes left. What’ya think he’ll call, Cotton?”

“Probably a Kirby Dumb if I was a betting man.”

“That’s a bold move, Cotton! Let’s see how that works for him.”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Question for the mods. How does one modify their screen name? Someone I know needs to change their name from “Mr 2ndand26” to “Mr 4thand11”.

And try to hurry with the help. His afternoon is wide open, but if this takes too long to unfold, then it could be a problem, in which case...well, he’ll still do it anyway.

tia

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I just want to congratulate Georgia on their #5 ranking in the college playoffs. Could have not happened to a better bunch of ball licking butt sniffers. Hope you and your fan base enjoy watching another team win the championship. Oh so close there is always next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.