SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Salt going to try it tonight.
My crew with our catch from yesterday
Nice mess of fish. We had blackened redfish burritos for dinner last night. Tonight’s gonna be the parm bread crumb fried redfish. Let me know what you think.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, beat / mix a couple of eggs and a little milk. Season filets , dip in the egg wash mixture to get wet, and then coat with bread crumb / parm cheese mix, and fry.

@RiverRat Those nibblets look fantastic. My 2 cent, which I should have said this morning before you cooked was to put your seasoning in the bread crumbs. My experience is if you S&P and then put in egg wash, it washes it off. Looks great!

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
@RiverRat Those nibblets look fantastic. My 2 cent, which I should have said this morning before you cooked was to put your seasoning in the bread crumbs. My experience is if you S&P and then put in egg wash, it washes it off. Looks great!
Thanks NV will try that next time.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Wanted to eat white trout Thursday. Usually fish for redfish, but I wanted trout. We brought both live and dead shrimp hoping that specks (spotted sea trout) might show up. Never caught a speck that day, but the white trout showed in numbers (but not size). Baited my wife with a live shrimp and dead shrimp on mine.
Since every cast brought a bite, I was spending a lot of time taking my wife's fish off, leaving my rod on the deck.
This time, fortunately, I stuck my rod in the rod holder, otherwise I would have lost it. After a long fight on very light white trout tackle, I boated (and released) a 38.5 inch red fish.
Interesting side note: as we caught our mess and a few for a friend, I spoke with other white trout fishermen about 100 yds away. They said that they had just caught and released a 40 inch redfish.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Had a little front come thru last night brought in this tree that got stuck under our dock
That water’s gonna be cold!

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Didn’t do much with the fish today, couple short reds and some Crocker but got another Gator sunset that gorgeous. 1AB6B5F0-2536-4A24-96B7-3025BA7EDDD0.jpeg

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Some advice, please, guys. I was given a beautiful custom made spinning rod for Christmas. Reaper Rods out of Punta Gorda. I cannot embarrass the giver by putting a cheap reel on the rod. The rod is single piece, 7 foot, designed to cast plugs between 3/8 and 1 ounce with 10# to 20# line. I think that the rod cost at least $200.
I do mostly inshore, salt water fishing.
What reel do you recommend?
I am pretty certain that I want a braided line with a fluorocarbon leader. Any recommendations for the line.
Thanks for any thoughts. My wife was given an identical rod. Same reel for her?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Some advice, please, guys. I was given a beautiful custom made spinning rod for Christmas. Reaper Rods out of Punta Gorda. I cannot embarrass the giver by putting a cheap reel on the rod. The rod is single piece, 7 foot, designed to cast plugs between 3/8 and 1 ounce with 10# to 20# line. I think that the rod cost at least $200.

I am pretty certain that I want a braided line with a fluorocarbon leader. Any recommendations for the line.

Lot of good reels to chose from. What’s your price point.
The Penn Battle 3 is a good reel at around $140.
I would go with a 3000 or 4000 for the weight your talking about casting.
I use Power pro braid line in the green color
Seaguar is a good fluorocarbon
The Penn I mentioned is a very good reel I use for trout and Redfish but there are many other good products out there Shimano , Daiwa are good as well.
My wife uses the 3000 and has no problems
Good luck

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The Penn I mentioned is a very good reel I use for trout and Redfish but there are many other good products out there Shimano , Daiwa are good as well.
Good luck
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look at Penn. Also had a recommendation for yhe Shimano Ci4 or its Shimano replacement. Any thoughts anyone?
My Dad's prized bait casting reel was a Pfleuger supreme. I see that there is a Pfleuger Supreme spin casting reel. Anybody use one?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like Shimano myself. Stradics are nice for the money, run you around $200.00.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I grew up bait casting (drum type reel) for bass. Was very accurate-- could put a lure in a coffee can at 25 or 30 feet. When I retired and took up fishing again, I have fished almost always in salt water with live or dead shrimp. Accuracy hasn't been important. I have never thought of spinning rigs as accurate. Evidently, I am ignorant. So I have been content with inexpensive equipment. Reels have run $20 to $30. Here's the question: what exactly am I buying when I put an expensive for me ($200) reel on the rod? Any ideas appreciated.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Good luck
Solid advice. I like Shimano and have owned dozens over the years but as I’ve gotten older I’ve gravitated back to Penn. Their Battle series are just about the best I’ve found for the money.
I like Spiderwire. Have it on all my Penn spinners and have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.