Screen%20Shot%202015-02-27%20at%207.34.53%20AM_zpswa6vdkd4.png

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n183829 said:
Nope. Brandon James handled basically every punt and kick return from 2006-08. Harvin never returned a kick as a result of Bubba Caldwell breaking his femur on a kick return vs. UT in 2005. Urban stopped using his best offensive playmakers as returners after that. But don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

As far as Percy is concerned, put him wherever you want on our all time offensive team, the guy had nearly 4,000 yards from scrimmage in 3 years (minus several games missed due to "migraines") and averaged over 11 yards per touch. Granted, he benefited from Tebow getting a lot of attention (and Tebow benefited from Harvin's presence), but you can't leave him off our all time offense.

Good post. Brandon James had many great returns called back by penalty. It almost became a weekly occurrence at one point in 06. I remember his first return TD and kept scanning the field
for the flag (western carolina maybe). As a true freshmen he had some crazy 85 yard return TD at UT06. Of course it was called back by a damn block in the back.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n183840 said:
Why has no one stated that Grossman should be the starting QB? He had the best arm of all our AA QB's and he was mobile enough to elude the pressure.

Probably because three other guys won titles.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n183718]i didn't even remember Jason Odom when I posted this thread. I'd put him in front of Walker if I had. [/QUOTE]
I had odom in there

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sturgis or Jeff Chandler?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Someone may have posted this already but the most offensive team in Fla history was out there this year. Not pointing fingers or making snarky comments about individuals but like John McKay said early in the Tampa Bay Buc history when asked by a reporter about the execution of his offense. He replied he was all for it. Ours was DOA when the sec schedule started for the most part. Just a Friday Funny for those eat up with it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law98gator;n183793 said:
Continuation from the All Time Defense thread. Here is our list of AP 1st team AA's, the elite of the elite.

QB: SOS, Danny, Rex, Tim
RB: Emmitt
OL: Lomas, Odom, Pearson,
WR: Jack Jackson, Quezzie, Jabar
TE: (he who shall not be named)
P/K: Chas,

Charlie LaPradd “tackle”, Dale Van Sickel “end”, and Charles Casey “end”, leather helmet guys. I didn't bother to look to see if they were offense, defense, or both.
Charles Casey was my idol. The guy was slow but he and SOS had a chemistry and his hands were Chandler good. No leather helmet in sight then,

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n183858 said:
Probably because three other guys won titles.

Rex won a SEC title, was second in the Heisman race his Sophomore year. He would probably had won a NC title if SOS didn't leave.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know we have three heisman QB's, but John Reeves is one of the best I've seen at Florida Field. Probably in the Grossman/Matthews category. Definetly in the conversation.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gatorphan;n183869 said:
I know we have three heisman QB's, but John Reeves is one of the best I've seen at Florida Field. Probably in the Grossman/Matthews category. Definetly in the conversation.
I will give you that one and Shane Mathews was the SEC player of the year twice and lead us to our first SEC championship (that counted)

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
WobbleGator;n183840 said:
Why has no one stated that Grossman should be the starting QB? He had the best arm of all our AA QB's and he was mobile enough to elude the pressure.

He was a fantastic QB and got robbed of a Heisman. However, I just can't put him above Danny, Shane, or Tebow. I think they were better quarterbacks.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n183924 said:
He was a fantastic QB and got robbed of a Heisman. However, I just can't put him above Danny, Shane, or Tebow. I think they were better quarterbacks.

If Grossman had played under SOS only, I believe you would have a different opinion of him.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Best UF QBs:

Haywood Sullivan, Steve Spurrier, John Reaves, Wayne Peace, Kerwin Bell, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow.

Best skills (size, arm strength, release, accuracy)-- Sullivan, Reaves, Bell, Grossman
Best head-- Spurrier, Matthews, Wuerffel
Best athlete-- Tebow

Sullivan was a QB ahead of his time. He played in '50 and '51 and was 6'4" 210 with a rocket arm but threw a very catchable ball. He was all-SEC and should have been all-American. '52 was supposed to be our year but he ended up signing with the Red Sox and leaving college early (baseball paid a lot more than football back then). He ended up as the Sox GM and later owner--a self made millionaire. I think he would have been an all-pro in the NFL had he chosen football instead of baseball.

Reaves was as physically talented as anybody (6'3", 210 with a powerful arm) but had substance abuse issues.

Grossman had the best pure arm and release of any of them. A tad shorter than some of the others on the list but he had a nice, high release point on his ball. His physical abilities were so good that he relied on them and didn't put in the film room study he needed to. While Wuerffel was studying tape and while Tebow was in the gym, Grossman was banging every hot chick in Gainesville he could get his hands on (which was a lot).

What if Sullivan didn't leave to play baseball? What if Reaves didn't have an addictive personality? What if Grossman had another year with the HBC instead of Zook?

Steve Spurrier is the greatest Gator ever. Tim Tebow is the best football player the Gators ever had. Danny Wuerffel is my favorite Gator QB ever.

My all-time Gator QB is...Haywood Sullivan.

Reaves and Grossman had mental flaws...Sullivan just left early for baseball.

Alex.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n183924 said:
Agree with everything except for Matthews...Grossman was better

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n183926 said:
If Grossman had played under SOS only, I believe you would have a different opinion of him.
Yeah most likely...but unfortunately all we can do is wonder what if. I think that 02 team would have been a monster had SOS not left. I believe both Gaffney and Caldwell stated at that point they would have stayed 1 more year if SOS wouldn't have left. 1 more season of experience for that offense would have been incredible.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n183973 said:
Best UF QBs:

Haywood Sullivan, Steve Spurrier, John Reaves, Wayne Peace, Kerwin Bell, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Rex Grossman, Tim Tebow.

No mention of Leak?

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n183729 said:
Danny wins at QB because I like pocket passers. Fred wins because he is one of the most freakish backs I have ever seen.

QB - Danny Wuerrfel
HB - Fred Taylor
FB - John L. Williams
TE - Kirk Kirkpatrick
WR - Percy Harvin
WR - Ricky Nattiel
T - Lomas Brown
T - Jason Odom
G - Jeff Zimmerman
G - Donnie Young
C - Maurkice Pouncey

I'd have a hard time leaving him off the list. It just goes to show the quality of linemen that have come through here over the years. Jeff Mitchel is another. Very good player and chiseled......he wasn't a blob like a lot of linemen can be. Very strong, very agile and a brain for the game and technique.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n183979 said:
No mention of Leak?

:embarrassed:

You're absolutely right. My bad. Leak was better than Peace and certainly in the same tier as Bell and Matthews. I'll edit to add him.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator