Florida's starting quarterback against Tennessee will be decided later in the week

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n283366 said:
You're saying since we aren't going to win anything this year, we should play Grier to develop him for next year...even if that means we might lose a few ball games because of it, right? Then why play anyone who isn't going to be here next year? Let's go ahead and develop our entire roster for the next year if that's what you want.
:crazy:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n283382 said:
Am I in the minority when I simply think we can win more games THIS YEAR with Grier? It's almost like it's implied that Harris sets the world on fire when he plays. If that were true he'd be starting.

Harris has a lot more experience yet Grier is getting more playing time. That tells you all you need to know about what the coaches think of Harris. Barring a Grier meltdown, Harris is now a mop-up guy.

How about looking at what Harris has as experience. Beating UT at their place? Throwing poorly. Not very good last year at all.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
3866397_jim-mcelwain-just-took-the-most-awkward_a261313e_m.jpg

I'll trust this guy over y'all - he's knows more about what's going on and though we've been Gator fans way longer than he's been a Gator, he's got more invested in this team than us armchair QBs do. I personally don't care who starts, who finishes, or what, I just want to beat the bUTtchuggers on Saturday, dammit!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
VulcanAlex;n283559 said:
How about looking at what Harris has as experience. Beating UT at their place? Throwing poorly. Not very good last year at all.
His passing numbers were better before he got hurt. I'm not advocating for him to start at all. But if Mac decides that's whats best, I'll be on board. Just do whatever it takes to beat those inbreds.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n283559 said:

But when Grier plays average as a Redshirt Freshman he gets the "He's a freshman excuse" but when Treon played last year as a TRUE Freshman he gets no excuses. Ugh :doh:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GaturWrappedBoots;n283157 said:
It wont matter who you start, both qbs will see the dirt saturday in the stink you call the swamp. You have no OL, no qb, no run game, receivers. I hear there's a blue out. So everyones gonna be in their jorts saturday??

Recognizing the role of DNA, it's obvious from the avatar this guy has screwed the pooch.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n283317 said:
That "skin color" comment I made above was a joke, by the way. Please don't call the police.

Ox must be pregnant (with thought), he's late with his period.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
JohnCoctostan;n283341 said:
A convenient missed fact there is that he WAS benched. ...No need to rewrite history for the sake of making a case for Grier.

Exactly. Two of the best in the game, SOS and now Mac, have flip-flopped QBs. I see no reason for it not to continue. If a guy isn't on that night, he should be pulled. It happens to the best of pitchers and shouldn't be criticized by no nothings just because they heard it somewhere or it was what their old coach in middle school said.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n283279 said:
What Treon are you watching? Guy can't make reads and he has the arm of a middle school QB
This is why you are a nightshift stock clerk at Walmart and Mac makes millions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n283308 said:
What about Treon's development?... Treon hasn't been on campus as long as Grier.
This.

Not sure why Treon should be punished for beating out Grier and Driskel last year, three weeks after Treon walked on campus. I think Treon scored on half of his possessions for the first few months until he got hurt.

I THINK Grier has the higher upside and obvious physical advantages (quick release, taller, seems to read quicker), but all that matters is what he can actually do on the field. Most of you opining frankly don't know the difference between a Eagle front and an Eagle Talon, that means you don't know shiiit about football, yet you are on here crapping your pants at the thought of anyone else playing and embarrassing yourself in defense of a kid who hasn't done anything on the field yet.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I fully expect to see Treon on the field Saturday and do well.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n283629 said:
This.

Not sure why Treon should be punished for beating out Grier and Driskel last year, three weeks after Treon walked on campus. I think Treon scored on half of his possessions for the first few months until he got hurt.

I THINK Grier has the higher upside and obvious physical advantages (quick release, taller, seems to read quicker), but all that matters is what he can actually do on the field. Most of you opining frankly don't know the difference between a Eagle front and an Eagle Talon, that means you don't know shiiit about football, yet you are on here crapping your pants at the thought of anyone else playing and embarrassing yourself in defense of a kid who hasn't done anything on the field yet.

:bsmeter:BS

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not ready to downgrade Grier for tucking to run when he is our leading rusher in SEC yards.
That's an evaluation of QB-Grier and our RBs/OL.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I am not sure what some people are seeing. Seems like Grier has played relatively well, especially given he is a redshirt freshman. He has made some mistakes, but very few catastrophic ones. Yes, he threw a pic last week, but it was a good play, and the throw was to the right person, he just underthrew it a bit and lacked some touch. In time he will make those throws.

As to the running, yes, he is probably tucking and running too quickly, but given the spotty offensive line, and our fairly mediocre running production, him making the decision to do that isn't all bad. It keeps the defense honest.

I REALLY like how he makes his decisions quickly, and gets rid of it quickly, or runs with it quickly. That minimizes the potential for catastrophic error.

We saw Treon all last year, and a little bit this year. He did OK. But at this point I'd rather stick with a kid has more upside and is doing pretty good considering his background.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm in the camp we win now and do it with one or both QB's. Bench a guy if he's having a lousy game, especially a game that is winnable. Grier will get his experience as the year goes on, but until he proves he can handle SEC defenses he shouldn't be handed the job. We saw the last few years when a coach just hands the job to a QB because he has the physical tools what the results are.

Grier's happy feet against KY was a combination of bad Oline play and him not used to the speed of the game at college level (this after 2 springs and fall camps)

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n283613 said:
But when Grier plays average as a Redshirt Freshman he gets the "He's a freshman excuse" but when Treon played last year as a TRUE Freshman he gets no excuses. Ugh :doh:

Neither get excuses from me.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n283656 said:
I am not sure what some people are seeing. Seems like Grier has played relatively well, especially given he is a redshirt freshman. He has made some mistakes, but very few catastrophic ones. Yes, he threw a pic last week, but it was a good play, and the throw was to the right person, he just underthrew it a bit and lacked some touch. In time he will make those throws.

As to the running, yes, he is probably tucking and running too quickly, but given the spotty offensive line, and our fairly mediocre running production, him making the decision to do that isn't all bad. It keeps the defense honest.

I REALLY like how he makes his decisions quickly, and gets rid of it quickly, or runs with it quickly. That minimizes the potential for catastrophic error.

We saw Treon all last year, and a little bit this year. He did OK. But at this point I'd rather stick with a kid has more upside and is doing pretty good considering his background.

I think pre banged up Treon was doing better protecting the ball without getting too reckless etc than Grier has the last 2 games. People keep making excuses but his last 2 games were not that good at all. If ECU just hangs on to a couple of those picks we lose that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator