Foley Headed To Ft. Collins - Jim McElwain to be hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
soflagator;n122175 said:
I agree on the hire. If(still some uncertainty) he's the guy.I think it's a solid hire.

And while, I do appreciate your word creativity when you're on one of your famous rants, I'm glad to see you positive about something UF football related. It's been a while for all of us.

There hasn't been much to be happy about. Where there is something remotely positive to be happy about like this possible hire, people have to crap on that too.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ergator920103;n122193 said:
Freeze was not s home run hire either. Foley needs to open up the check book and stop trying to go cheap. I don't think we filled the stadium for one game this season. This hire won't have the fans lining up to buy season tickets.

But who really fits that definition of "home run"? Chip Kelly? That's not a check book issue. He's a successful NFL HC with no ties to UF or the SE and is in the middle of a Super Bowl run (:dance:).

Stoops? His own fan base is tired of consistently being the brides maid and has grown stale with him. Maybe he kills it her, maybe he doesn't. It's a great name, no question. But I'm not sure that automatically makes him a home run.

Strong--who doesn't currently fit that description anyway--isn't leaving ut after 1 season. Nor is Franklin. There just aren't these slam dunk hires that are there for the taking. So you take the best available option and one that has similarities to the past guys who've been successful here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
KCgator;n122206 said:
There hasn't been much to be happy about. Where there is something remotely positive to be happy about like this possible hire, people have to crap on that too.

I agree on both accounts. Maybe they've almost become predisposed to being negative because of the past 4 years. But bottom line, there is reason for optimism, assuming this is the guy. Zero reason to go in with a down outlook.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n122184 said:
Exactly! I keep seeing that mentioned, but there was only one guy thought of as a "home run hire" and he said no. This guy was the next best option of the high character guys.

Freeze was a homerun guy? Really? Guy just got his first winning season in the SEC West, and a lot of his personel problems this past season were due to his own decisions. And his clock management was as bad as Muschamps and Zooks. That's a homerun guy?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n122215 said:
Freeze was a homerun guy? Really? Guy just got his first winning season in the SEC West, and a lot of his personel problems this past season were due to his own decisions. And his clock management was as bad as Muschamps and Zooks. That's a homerun guy?

I admittedly didn't watch many of OM's games. But that final drive against Lsu, and then the Ark game really concerned me(specifically the latter). I still think he'd be a good coach for us. But that wasn't the look of a slam dunk hire. I appreciate the Ala upset. But for that matter, Nutt beat Urban and the 2008 team in the Swamp and had a solid 8-9 win season that year. Doesn't change my perception of him, nor does it change his current lack of employment.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
PaulDrake;122172 said:
Football Scoop is reporting that DJ Durkin and Travaris Robinson to be retained. God, I hope not. McElwain needs to bring in his own people.
Keeping T-Rob would be great IMO. Don't know what they are basing their info on seeming as a hire has yet to be made

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n122130 said:
I think he is no better or worse than the other second tier choices out there. Nothing in his background to point to failure anyway.

Fever, love ya man but you're just a little too obsessed with what "tier" you deem someone to be in. If you look back in the past 2 weeks, I would guess you've typed that word about 100 times. :lol:

R

RedHead-Gator

Founding Member
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n122172 said:
Football Scoop is reporting that DJ Durkin and Travaris Robinson to be retained. God, I hope not. McElwain needs to bring in his own people.

Your crazy man- T-rob is one of the best recruiters around! We need him to stay just to keep what we have. And Durkin is a good D coach. Were have you been?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ray Finkle;n122234 said:
Keeping T-Rob would be great IMO. Don't know what they are basing their info on seeming as a hire has yet to be made

I believe Pat Forde is saying that someone close to the program is saying that Foley is formally offering him the job, and requesting that Durkin and TROb "at minimum" are retained. Clearly, JF wants these kids to have as smooth a transition as possible, which I think is smart.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
RocketCityGator;122243 said:
If this is true, does anyone know how to check on if Ox is okay? LOL
Where is he?!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RocketCityGator;n122243 said:
If this is true, does anyone know how to check on if Ox is okay? LOL

He's fine. He wanted Stoops, was "ok" with Freeze, but will accept Mac Daddy because anybody is better than Mushswishyhips.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm right here, and I'm fine. I'm behind whoever the new coach is.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Put Durkin back in charge of special teams perhaps? Since Durkin is interim for the bowl game, would McElwain have any input on bowl prep?

I wonder if Jeremy and Jim will celebrate the contact signing by sharing a bong? It is legal there after all.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Read up on the guy. Looks like a good hire to me. Let's hope Foley can close the deal.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n122236 said:
Fever, love ya man but you're just a little too obsessed with what "tier" you deem someone to be in. If you look back in the past 2 weeks, I would guess you've typed that word about 100 times. :lol:

I probably have. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.