Gator Basketball Gators blow late double-digit lead, lose to Kentucky at home

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Something happened last year after the PK80 Tourney. We were lighting it up before that, #1 in the country in points, and the it all broke. I think White is in the head of the players and himself. Something hasn’t been right sense.
He wasn't happy with the D at all. He changed after that Gonzaga game and giving up like 80 points to a few scrubs. It was fun watching the team score 110 a game.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He wasn't happy with the D at all. He changed after that Gonzaga game and giving up like 80 points to a few scrubs. It was fun watching the team score 110 a game.
That Gonzaga game was tied 78-78 at the end of regulation before going to 2OT and winning. We then lost to Duke 87-84.

We came home and lost back to back games against FSU and Loyola Chicago.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Little t, you are ate up with excuses and could be's.
Not exactly. Jay implied that recruiting for this year may have been a fluke and I responded with we have top kids in the next class that are interested too. I haven't made one excuse .

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Who are your inside scorers? I’m not seeing any. As in literally zero. Hayes gets a few putback’s and layup feeds from Nembhard. You write off hundreds of literally the same hypothetical posts, yet you never list who our inside scorers are. Who are they?

The HC & Pinkins + other coach crew should have developed those inside scholly players, especially those given scholarships because they were tall, & played inside in H.S. That is what CBB HC's do. develop, develop, develop. That's what characterizes it as a Program. Rely on inside game-work in practices and individual inside skills will improve, team balanced dynamics starts to develop. If the style that shows too little inside work is what's favored and practiced, then your "talls" show no development.

I have never referenced that UF had prolific inside scorers. But Hayes is an inside scorer, hitting 65% with all shots taken inside. My posts clearly state that we need to develop the inside game. These tall BBall players were given scholarships because their exhibited H.S. abilities of their inside play, would be awaiting development by college coaching. UF chose Stokes 6'8, Stone 6'8, Stokes 6'8 to play the "inside game". Next year's tall freshmen's skills will languish if practice and playstyle emphasizes jacking-it-up from outside.??

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Again, what you say in theory is true and is the simplest of Basketball 101. Stokes? Please. Stone? Please. So again, we got no guys to fill your roles. Roy Williams and Tom Izzo aren’t going anywhere with our horses. 6’8” and soft isn’t going to cut it in the last half of the season. We don’t have the horses.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
And tell me how our mighty Gators are supposed to beat this almost NBA team? We had a great game going until their incredibly superior talent kicked in.
IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1636.JPG

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How many more losses would we have if Hayes got more attempts? If other bigs got inside for "inside-game-playing attempts, how many more losses.. I believe our opponents beat us with inside scoring rather than by 3s - while we were shooting at 3s. Inside shots score 65% of attempts, 3s score less than 40% of those attempts.

I suggest that the essence of college basketball coaching is successfully developing an inside game to score from the highest % area to complement outside shots of lower %.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Sure Rog, our three star 6’8” offensive doofus Hayes is going to be a scoring threat down low against SEC talent if White was juuuuuuuuuuust a better coach. He’s got hands of stone.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Tell me about all the great things these guys should be accomplishing:

At least last years class is a start. IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1637.JPG

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hayes score at a near 65% even when he's a klutz a lot. And that's the point, his 65% shooting helps this team put up efficient points. FG attempts = Allen 211 .... Locke 196 ... Hudson 151 ... Nembhard 155 ... Hayes 89 attempts.
That makes it known how White coaches. Ever top CBB HC just plane "forces" weak areas to strengthen. That reflects that coach's coaching skills. The process of getting the ball near the basket is not to be neglected.

So just watch our next game but observe where our opponent takes shots from compared to where our attempts are shot from, and keep in mind the % favoring or disfavoring.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
So are you still guarding UK at the three point line? Not exactly. They killled us inside.

Well yes, I am guarding them at the 3 point line instead of giving up wide open 3s due to overhelping. They’re a better 3pt shooting team than we are, and giving any team wide open 3s is a stupid game plan.

Overhelping leads to open shots. I know you’re a fan of bad basketball and all, but be reasonable.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
That Gonzaga game was tied 78-78 at the end of regulation before going to 2OT and winning. We then lost to Duke 87-84.

We came home and lost back to back games against FSU and Loyola Chicago.
That's right, it was the Duke game where we were up 10 with like 5-6 minutes left.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
And tell me how our mighty Gators are supposed to beat this almost NBA team? We had a great game going until their incredibly superior talent kicked in.
Patric Young, Scottie Wilbekin, Casey Prather, Will Yeguette would like a word with you please.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
How many more losses would we have if Hayes got more attempts? If other bigs got inside for "inside-game-playing attempts, how many more losses.. I believe our opponents beat us with inside scoring rather than by 3s - while we were shooting at 3s. Inside shots score 65% of attempts, 3s score less than 40% of those attempts.

I suggest that the essence of college basketball coaching is successfully developing an inside game to score from the highest % area to complement outside shots of lower %.

You're oversimplifying Hayes percentage. Not included is the number of passes to the inside that Hayes doesn't get a handle on and fumbles the ball either out of bounds, or to a defender. Included in the percentage are at the rim put-backs that got to the rim by someone else taking a mid-range jumper. If left to Hayes to catch the ball down low and get the ball into the basket, the percentage is MUCH lower than 65%

Besides, you get 50% more points for a 3-point shot than for a 2-point shot, which means that Hayes would need to make 60% of his shots to be a better option than 40% 3-point shooters just to break even. 60% of attempt at getting the ball inside to Hayes and him scoring without losing the ball or missing ain't happening.

I think Mike White is using Hayes in a way that plays to his strengths. Strong defender, average rebounder, occasional scorer works for him. I like Hayes work ethic, and appreciate what he does bring to the table. But if you think you are frustrated now, imagine what you would feel like with Hayes fumbling the ball out of bounds from under the basket 6+ times per game, getting stripped on the way up 5+ times per game, and on a missing a weak lay-in when he should have taken it up strong 4+ times per game.

Look, I'm not saying that jacking up 3s all game is the way to go. Tried that, limited success. Less dribbling, more ball movement, more movement away from the ball, more setting shooters up, more taking what the defense is giving (both inside and outside) is what is needed. But we just don't have the right bigs to play the inside out game of getting to the big man down low to either create his own shot or dish it out to the open man. Next year, maybe. This year, not so much.

Last edited:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018

Hayes' shooting percentage is very good. However, that doesn't take into account how many times he fumbles the ball, turns it over or throws it away without taking a shot. And then there's his poor free throw shooting when he gets fouled taking a shot. Yesterday Florida had an 11 point lead and the momentum with just over 14 minutes left in the game. Hayes misses 2 free throws that would have put us up by 13, but after those missed FT's KY went on a roll and never looked back. I do agree that there should be more set plays to work the ball inside. But Hayes is not a reliable go-to guy in the paint. That's never been his game.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Hayes' shooting percentage is very good. However, that doesn't take into account how many times he fumbles the ball, turns it over or throws it away without taking a shot. And then there's his poor free throw shooting when he gets fouled taking a shot. Yesterday Florida had an 11 point lead and the momentum with just over 14 minutes left in the game. Hayes misses 2 free throws that would have put us up by 13, but after those missed FT's KY went on a roll and never looked back. I do agree that there should be more set plays to work the ball inside. But Hayes is not a reliable go-to guy in the paint. That's never been his game.
No one is asked to do more on this basketball team than Hayes. He has to play out of position and has no other bigs to complement him, he is on an island. I'm sure he does fumble a few passes, bricks a few more shots and FT shooting is horrendous. He's pretty lathered up by game's end and needs the whirlpool. Our team is not well balanced at all positions (most notably CENTER) and Hayes suffers for it and unjustifiably bears the brunt of the criticism.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We also missed our next 7 attempts all within 7 feet of the basket.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with shooting a lot of threes.....if they’re good looks. Shooting a bunch of contested threes due to lack of movement on offense and White’s “stall ball” is what I take issue with.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with shooting a lot of threes.....if they’re good looks. Shooting a bunch of contested threes due to lack of movement on offense and White’s “stall ball” is what I take issue with.
I've played thousands of games of street pick-up basketball, often with complete strangers. Watching this team reminds me of that: guys that have never played together out there trying to win. No one moves, and if they do it seems they have no idea where to go. Each player has something they want to do and they are going to do it regardless of the defense. They seem to have no idea the strengths and weaknesses of their fellow teammates. In other words, it's like they have never practiced before and certainly have never heard of running a play to get someone an open look. In fact, I can't recall a player getting a single open look the entire season. Every game is like they just like they all just met for the first time before tipoff.

It's inexcusable coaching. Maybe they aren't actually practicing....can anyone confirm that they do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.