Warning: Political Takes Gators Players Skip Practice

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Maybe you need to rethink your whole point based on the false underlying foundation of your opinion that these are 18-22yr old kids. They are not kids. They are adults. Adults make decisions and understand the sacrifice they are making in order to obtain what they are after. They are not kids.

You know what, I've made this point in the past, especially when getting the "yOu Can'T CriTiCiZe gOD BranTLeY or DrIsKel"...The look you get when you say they are legally adults and can go die on the other side of the world, but instead they get to play a game at the highest levels and as such can deal with it like the adults they are.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I can’t get angry or upset over a kid opting out over the virus while entire leagues are opting out. I also don’t support yanking their scholarship immediately if they do. But there should be some reasonable timeline established. At some point you must accept the consequences of your decisions.

Maybe a redshirt granted this season with a re-evaluation next season. If we are good to go...you get on the field or be let go.

If your holdout is related to securing increased financial payouts then you either play through any negotiations or you sacrifice your benefits immediately. You must honor your commitment even as you try to change the system.

I get the virus, but that's not the message for multiple players. It sounds like some of it is in regards to pay, some of it is because some coaches didn't go full on BLM, etc.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Anybody know if any of these guys showed up today? I happened to drive by practice this morning, but while I did glance over, I couldn’t tell you who I saw.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Take Grimes for example. His mother is high risk. if he feels that he should not be around other people, who might have it and be asymptomatic, then I 100% support his decision to take a year off until a vaccine is developed. i just had one of my employees parents die from the virus. They were high risk and contracted it and died within a week of getting the test results back. It would be tragic if Grimes contracted it playing a childs game, gave it to his mother and then she died. Tragic. Not worth risking the life of a loved one, and we should be a bit compassionate about someone's personal situation.
Do you honestly believe Grimes (or any other player on any other team) is going to maintain social distancing on a college campus? He’s going to wear a mask or stay locked in his dorm room? He’s gonna not be a typical college student because his grandma is his risk?

Yeah....ok. I’ll fuchsing believe that when I see it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Do you honestly believe Grimes (or any other player on any other team) is going to maintain social distancing on a college campus? He’s going to wear a mask or stay locked in his dorm room? He’s gonna not be a typical college student because his grandma is his risk?

That fool is out there trying to bang every nasty bar skank and Instagram cleat chaser he can find. Whole thing is a crock.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That fool is out there trying to bang every nasty bar skank and Instagram cleat chaser he can find. Whole thing is a crock.
Hey, I don’t blame a college kid for trying to bang every gal he can. Just don’t give me this Covid-19 fear of playing a sport unless you put yourself on lockdown...which I’m sure none of them have done since this started and aren’t about to start now that they’re back on campus.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The answer to this is to stay the hell away from your mother. I haven't seen my mother since all this started for the exact same reason. I don't know Grimes very well but I'm guessing since he's been out of high school for what...3-4 years now he probably doesn't live at home with his mom.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are nailing it. The COVID excuse is just that. They either fulfill their obligations or they should get their scholly yanked IN FRONT of the entire team for maximum humiliation.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The answer to this is to stay the hell away from your mother. I haven't seen my mother since all this started for the exact same reason. I don't know Grimes very well but I'm guessing since he's been out of high school for what...3-4 years now he probably doesn't live at home with his mom.

I haven’t seen my mother because she’s an incorrigible bitch and ruined my self esteem for life...covid is a nice bonus excuse though

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what the argument is about not playing because of COVID.

Player: Coach, I don't want to play this year because of COVID.
Coach: I understand, and we're going to support you 100%. So I won't expect to see you in the weight room, meetings, or classes. You really might as well go home, and come back when you feel it's safe. And understand, we'll hold your spot, and your scholarship, but it will be suspended, since you're going to self-quarantine at home, until this blows over.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure what the argument is about not playing because of COVID.

Player: Coach, I don't want to play this year because of COVID.
Coach: I understand, and we're going to support you 100%. So I won't expect to see you in the weight room, meetings, or classes. You really might as well go home, and come back when you feel it's safe. And understand, we'll hold your spot, and your scholarship, but it will be suspended, since you're going to self-quarantine at home, until this blows over.

This is it. Easy enough. If you are not going to play, how do you justify doing everything (or anything) else within the team activities.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is it. Easy enough. If you are not going to play, how do you justify doing everything (or anything) else within the team activities.
Or life really. Can't justify going out to eat or being around anyone.

These schools are taking ridiculous precautions. So if those aren't good enough for a player, then they really just need to get in their bubble and ride this out. And if you are that 10ply, how is the NFL going to work out for you, provided they survive their moronathon.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
So do we have our starting WRs on the team or are gonna have to depend on “3 career catches Wells” and a few freshmen?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So do we have our starting WRs on the team or are gonna have to depend on “3 career catches Wells” and a few freshmen?

I could see Toney and Copeland coming around after realizing they're only hurting themselves.

Otherwise, it's gonna be young guys and 3-catch Wells. We just have to hope that one year he roomed with David Nelson made enough of an impression on him in terms of being a leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.