HS hoops player sucker-punches opposing player (twice!) in handshake line after game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'm stunned at this post and even more stunned it got five likes. Holy crap.

I've never known a single male in my life, either as a child, teenager, or adult, who thinks sucker punches (which is exactly what these were) are anything but a b!tch move. It was the friggin' handshake line.

This was only done this way for one damn reason, and that's because the turd who threw those cowardly punches knew he couldn't beat the guy in a fair fight. Period.

There's a lot of caveats that one can come up with regarding whether and when to fight. This kid deserves a lot of scrutiny and maybe criticism for starting a fight in what is supposed to be an act of sportsmanship. Doubt and question pre-fight; "Is this necessary?", "Am I willing to pay the consequences?", "Can I extricate myself from the situation?", etc.

But once the fight is on, once the decision is made, all that matters is winning. Sucker punching, soft tissue targets, weapons, etc., you want to be the guy that walks away healthy. You don't know what the other guys going to do, leave behind your doubts and win. To quote "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk!"

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Heres the close-up

giphy.gif

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
But once the fight is on, once the decision is made, all that matters is winning.
The fight is not on until both fighters know that the fight is on. Otherwise it's not a fight, it's an attack.

Which is not to say that an attack is never warranted. I don't think it was here, though. Do you?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I can't grasp how anyone thinks this is anything but a cowardly sucker punch. This is no different than attacking an unsuspecting person from behind. In the handshake line, you generally can't see or at least don't have your eyes focused on anyone except the person in front out you. The guy who got punched had zero reaction time. #4 had a huge wind up and never would have hit him as cleanly if they had both been the first two in line walking towards each other. This situation was like the tall dude opening up a door and #4 being on the other side with his fist cocked. You can see #4 was walking tucked in behind the guy in front of him to get the best surprise. Unless he specifically told him that he was going to ruin him when they went to shake hands after the game, he's a skulking coward.

And sure, the tall dude probably said or did something that makes him an a$$hole too, but those were two pretty vicious blows. While it doesn't happen often, people die not that infrequently from getting knocked out (or fainting) and fall from standing. All it takes is a little skull fracture and subdural hematoma.

Tall dudes reaction time is abysmal. Makes me wonder how many balls come off the rim and hit him in the head before he can get his hands up.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The fight is not on until both fighters know that the fight is on. Otherwise it's not a fight, it's an attack.

Which is not to say that an attack is never warranted. I don't think it was here, though. Do you?

Not in this situation. As I said, it was supposed to be a show of good sportsmanship.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I've been sucker punched twice, once when I was six and once by a thug in high school (I accidentally bumped into him). In neither case did it end well for the other guy.
When you get a minute I'd like to hear the one about 6 year-old 1946 opening a juice box full of whupass.

:popcorn:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You asked for it. So against my will, I'll tell the tail. I was a nerd. I didn't grow up in the best of neighborhoods. Dad was pretty successful but cheap and wasn't ready to move yet. So I was the guy they picked on. I put up with it and put up with it. One day this ass hole comes up and lands one on my jaw. That was the moment I de-nerded. I saw red, landed one really hard, pissed off, I've had enough of this s.h.i.t, punch right on his seven year old jaw. He landed on the ground groaning. Then like all 6 or seven year old bullies do, when he came to his senses he ran off. This thread brought that memory back. Nobody f'd with me after that.

The two "fights" in my life were for me one punchers. I didn't know I had it in me, but I guess I did. However, when you put boxing gloves on me and when I wasn't really pissed (all just for "fun") the bigger guy would beat the crap out of me. I decided not to do that any more.

We didn't have juice boxes back then. ;)

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
8th grade, my Dad would have punished me for fighting in school (Ribault). So I challenged Kirby (who twisted my arm from his desk behind mine. Kirby was the huge high school bully) I challenged him to meet me Saturday at Lake Forest Elementary. He didn't show up but 3 spectators did. I waited an hour but he did not show. I walked to his house. Knocked on the door. His mother came.
"Mrs. Kirby, can Jimmy come out? I'm supposed to fight him." She leaned her head back and shouted: "Jimmy get out here. Somebody wants to fight you."

We fought to a draw. 15 years later, now a dentist, socially talking with high school friends who became Jacksonville cops. (They never knew about my fight.) They brought up Kirby's name, telling that he was in Federal prison for stabbing a cop who came to break up one of his many bar fights. Glad he didn't carry a knife in the 8th grade.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is the absolute truth........ From GGG

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I guess we all know how you fight. You must also sit to pee.
I fight to win, whatever style you want call it. I've never sucker punched anyone and as a matter of fact I dont think I ever initiated a fight that I was in although I am sure after a few beers at the Piano Bar in Naples it isn't all that clear.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I fight to win, whatever style you want call it. I've never sucker punched anyone and as a matter of fact I dont think I ever initiated a fight that I was in although I am sure after a few beers at the Piano Bar in Naples it isn't all that clear.
You kick opponents in the nuts too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator