upload_2019-8-30_11-29-5.jpeg

Love Ya Bro

th

That just leaves more for us - Pass the Hot Sauce

p-5.png

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
People simply wait too long to leave. Even now there are no traffic backups showing on drive maps between FLL and ATL. The thought process of "I don't want to leave unless I know its actually going to hit my house" simply doesn't work. Now, if I had a strong house and a good supply of water, gas and chow I wouldn't ever leave. But for someone like my mom, who lives alone, the best course of action is to get out early, wait until you know the storm is gone and the power is on, then head back.

Yeah, I dont know. That could be a week-long trip. I am thinking a local shelter would be a better bet.

Of course, then you'll basically be living in a homeless camp for a few days.

Seems so logical in theory, but as brad pointed out, it just isn't that simple, especially with work and a family. This situation is aided a bit by the 3-day weekend. But even still, you'd have to have left already to avoid the traffic and fuel issues. So on Tuesday, when it looked like Jax was going to take the brunt of things, you're explaining to your employer that you need a week off, just in case. Then you're driving to Atlanta hypothetically, getting a room for a week, then coming home. And at any given moment(see Rex's post) this could all change and you've conservatively spent $1000-1500, plus time off for nothing. Not to mention, you could be doing the whole thing all over again within a week or so. In '04, for instance, you would've spent more time out of state than in. It's just isn't practical. The way these models change hourly, you have to be flexible and willing to either ride it out, sit in endless traffic, or move. Not a lot in between.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I assume you have aluminum ridge vents? I don't like aluminum vents the newer style plastic that shingles go on top of give better ventilation. Anyway I just thought I would mention screws work better on ridge vents than nails. They make a galvanized screw with a rubber washer under the screw head just for that purpose. Also most ridge vent manufacturers recommend fastening vents 12" on center. Not trying to sound like a know it all (although I am one) but I am a retired building inspector & general contractor. Besides I lost my own ridge vents in Hurricane Charley and learned my lesson well.

PS you have nothing to worry about unless Jim Cantore shows up in your town...
They are plastic ridge vents with shingles on top. The reason it broke away is because the original nails were completely rusted through.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
They are plastic ridge vents with shingles on top. The reason it broke away is because the original nails were completely rusted through.

Rusted Though...Let me guess...on the coast?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Got ya. The ones I lost during charley were the old aluminum type. The reason mine blew off was I didn't fasten them per manufacturer specs. After that ridge vents became one of my pet peeves as an inspector. Funny how that happens.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Fckn Hurricane. Damn employees treat it like snow days.
Hopefully this thing cuts across the state, gains strength and heads for Tallacrappy.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Rusted Though...Let me guess...on the coast?
Most of the nails in the vents he is talking about are covered by the next shingle in the row, but the nails in the last cap shingle of each vent are exposed unless they are covered with silicone or roofing cement. Also if the other nails are too close to the edge of the shingle water can get to them. Exposed nails are a big no no.

In the old style aluminum vents all the nails are exposed and must be covered with silicone.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the nails in the vents he is talking about are covered by the next shingle in the row, but the nails in the last cap shingle of each vent are exposed unless they are covered with silicone or roofing cement. Also if the other nails are too close to the edge of the shingle water can get to them. Exposed nails are a big no no.

In the old style aluminum vents all the nails are exposed and must be covered with silicone.
Bingo, despite the nails being covered by shingles, they still rotted out. Obviously there was some water penetration there.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems so logical in theory, but as brad pointed out, it just isn't that simple, especially with work and a family. This situation is aided a bit by the 3-day weekend. But even still, you'd have to have left already to avoid the traffic and fuel issues. So on Tuesday, when it looked like Jax was going to take the brunt of things, you're explaining to your employer that you need a week off, just in case. Then you're driving to Atlanta hypothetically, getting a room for a week, then coming home. And at any given moment(see Rex's post) this could all change and you've conservatively spent $1000-1500, plus time off for nothing. Not to mention, you could be doing the whole thing all over again within a week or so. In '04, for instance, you would've spent more time out of state than in. It's just isn't practical. The way these models change hourly, you have to be flexible and willing to either ride it out, sit in endless traffic, or move. Not a lot in between.
Well my mom is driving north right now in totally normal traffic so its certainly not too late. But like I said, the best thing is to have yourself set up to ride out the storm in a house built for the task and enough food/water/gas. It all comes down to prep. There isn't any easy answer if you gaff of the prep, live in the strike zone, and can't take time off work or find a place to stay. Hopefully most of the people here have either prepped or they have the resources to get out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Latest euro model has it turning before it hits the coast :lmao2:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Latest euro model has it turning before it hits the coast :lmao2:

So if it follows the Euro model and not all the others that have it cutting the state in half, they need to just finally $h!tcan all those other models from here on out. They aren’t much better than a Ouija board.

o_O

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So if it follows the Euro model and not all the others that have it cutting the state in half, they need to just finally $h!tcan all those other models from here on out. They aren’t much better than a Ouija board.

o_O

only time will tell

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.