Hurricane Dorian

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
True, but still insufficient. It hasnt been the post Andrew homes that have remained unscathed during big ones, it's been the post Katrina ones. Codes were upped significantly from Andrew requirements in the mid 2000s, partly because of Katrina. Here in Panama City a lot of the homes that were post Andrew but not Katrina sustained significant damage, many catastrophic, however, the vast majority of post Katrina builds had little to no damage. My neighbohood is an excellent example - we have about 40% post Andrew built and the rest post Katrina (neighborhood was being developed in that early to mid 2000s window). Of that 40%, most of them sustained significant damage, of the ones that were built after the new codes, the worst damage was roof shingling.

It was really striking to see first hand after the storm. Lots of completely trashed homes, right next to ones that were in perfect condition - only difference was the trashed ones were 3-4 years older.

I agree. Dated a girl whose father was a real estate investor and was big in PC to Destin. I looked at a few places, ironically summer of ‘05, and didn’t like much of what I saw. It just seems like the majority of the panhandle along the coast was in no way prepared for Michael. It will be rebuilt much better similar to ‘92. Nothing will be full proof. But it helps.

The other huge advantage/disadvantage you have is that you’re so close to Al/Ga lines, plus I10. Normally, neither being that close would be a positive. But in an evacuation scenario, you’ve probably got a 15-20 hour jump start on anyone in PB/Br/Dade. So I may consider leaving if I lived in that area too.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Dated a girl whose father was a real estate investor and was big in PC to Destin. I looked at a few places, ironically summer of ‘05, and didn’t like much of what I saw. It just seems like the majority of the panhandle along the coast was in no way prepared for Michael. It will be rebuilt much better similar to ‘92. Nothing will be full proof. But it helps.

The other huge advantage/disadvantage you have is that you’re so close to Al/Ga lines, plus I10. Normally, neither being that close would be a positive. But in an evacuation scenario, you’ve probably got a 15-20 hour jump start on anyone in PB/Br/Dade. So I may consider leaving if I lived in that area too.
yup, the peninsula is a fatal funnel. Can only go north or south and due to uncertainty still with these things, you're basically playing russian roullete by going south. So everyone goes north and its a logjam. Up here you can go any direction but south. There aren't a big number of large roads but we also are a low density population area so its not bad at all. 2 hours travel in any direction and you're good to go.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
yup, the peninsula is a fatal funnel. Can only go north or south and due to uncertainty still with these things, you're basically playing russian roullete by going south. So everyone goes north and its a logjam. Up here you can go any direction but south. There aren't a big number of large roads but we also are a low density population area so its not bad at all. 2 hours travel in any direction and you're good to go.

Approximately 6.5 mil people in 3 counties, all leaving with only 2 highways. What could possibly go wrong?

When I left, I rode in the emergency lane from Jupiter to Yeehaw Junction to avoid just sitting still. Then took back roads toward Ocala. Even then, took 10 hours. No thanks.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Approximately 6.5 mil people in 3 counties, all leaving with only 2 highways. What could possibly go wrong?

When I left, I rode in the emergency lane from Jupiter to Yeehaw Junction to avoid just sitting still. Then took back roads toward Ocala. Even then, took 10 hours. No thanks.
10 hours and im in indiana :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I have a feeling most people are thinking like this. Irma was such a disaster out there on the roads.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People simply wait too long to leave. Even now there are no traffic backups showing on drive maps between FLL and ATL. The thought process of "I don't want to leave unless I know its actually going to hit my house" simply doesn't work. Now, if I had a strong house and a good supply of water, gas and chow I wouldn't ever leave. But for someone like my mom, who lives alone, the best course of action is to get out early, wait until you know the storm is gone and the power is on, then head back.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People simply wait too long to leave. Even now there are no traffic backups showing on drive maps between FLL and ATL. The thought process of "I don't want to leave unless I know its actually going to hit my house" simply doesn't work. Now, if I had a strong house and a good supply of water, gas and chow I wouldn't ever leave. But for someone like my mom, who lives alone, the best course of action is to get out early, wait until you know the storm is gone and the power is on, then head back.

Yeah, I dont know. That could be a week-long trip. I am thinking a local shelter would be a better bet.

Of course, then you'll basically be living in a homeless camp for a few days.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I dont know. That could be a week-long trip. I am thinking a local shelter would be a better bet.

Of course, then you'll basically be living in a homeless camp for a few days.
You're right, it could be a week long trip. I'd rather spend a week with some relatives in ATL in the air conditioning than sweating my balls off in FL waiting for the power to come back on and hoping they restock the Publix in the next few days. I view it kinda like wearing a seat belt....I don't feel like wearing the seat belt is a waste of time just because I didn't get into a crash that day.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I like to ride it out. I shutter my house up and get through the storm. I keep enough food and water on hand for about a week. If damage is catastrophic, I can leave in that time and get up north to my family’s house in Central FL or North Georgia.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Reports from N FL showing gas supplies either low or empty at many stations. When all those people from S FL need gas, it won't be available.

No easy solution to evacuating a peninsula.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of people remember what happened to me in Hurricane Michael. My house was built in 2004 and actually has poured concrete walls, which are even stronger than block. The damn walls could take a nuclear hit, and of course I put up shutters, which came with the house when it was built.

However, it was the ROOF that was my concern, not the damn walls. One hole in the roof could send in enough water to completely ruin everything inside, so what good do the shutters and walls do in that situation?

Sure enough, we heard a thump inside the house during the storm, and I walked out in my garage and looked in my attic access. Lo and behold, there was a two-inch gap 15 feet long completely open to the elements: the ridge vent had blown off.

I couldn't just leave it like that - the attic over the garage would flood and then collapse through the ceiling. So that's when you suddenly find yourself dragging a ladder out into the hurricane and climbing onto the roof, the rain hitting your back so hard it's stinging through your shirt. I spent 15 minutes up there nailing the damn thing back in place, even though it was nearly impossible to see with the rain running into my eyes (you can imagine my wife's reaction to this entire scene). It worked, and my attic was saved.

Yesterday I spent two hours up there re-nailing and sealing the damn ridge vents. :lol:

So what's the damn point? Check your ROOF, get up there and look at anything that may be loose or leak or blow away.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
A lot of people remember what happened to me in Hurricane Michael. My house was built in 2004 and actually has poured concrete walls, which are even stronger than block. The damn walls could take a nuclear hit, and of course I put up shutters, which came with the house when it was built.

However, it was the ROOF that was my concern, not the damn walls. One hole in the roof could send in enough water to completely ruin everything inside, so what good do the shutters and walls do in that situation?

Sure enough, we heard a thump inside the house during the storm, and I walked out in my garage and looked in my attic access. Lo and behold, there was a two-inch gap 15 feet long completely open to the elements: the ridge vent had blown off.

I couldn't just leave it like that - the attic over the garage would flood and then collapse through the ceiling. So that's when you suddenly find yourself dragging a ladder out into the hurricane and climbing onto the roof, the rain hitting your back so hard it's stinging through your shirt. I spent 15 minutes up there nailing the damn thing back in place, even though it was nearly impossible to see with the rain running into my eyes (you can imagine my wife's reaction to this entire scene). It worked, and my attic was saved.

Yesterday I spent two hours up there re-nailing and sealing the damn ridge vents. :lol:

So what's the damn point? Check your ROOF, get up there and look at anything that may be loose or leak or blow away.
Great story. Wish we had video!

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I just got a promotion at work and a transfer back to Fl. Will be working all weekend From Auburndale to Homestead. :(

Wish me luck.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I was at a conference all week on St. Simons Island and drove home (north ATL suburbs) yesterday afternoon and evening and was expecting awful traffic on 95 & 75. It was pretty much business as usual and speed limit or better until I hit 285. Of course it was around 6, so that was just a typical weeknight in ATL.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
11am.
145103_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018

I assume you have aluminum ridge vents? I don't like aluminum vents the newer style plastic that shingles go on top of give better ventilation. Anyway I just thought I would mention screws work better on ridge vents than nails. They make a galvanized screw with a rubber washer under the screw head just for that purpose. Also most ridge vent manufacturers recommend fastening vents 12" on center. Not trying to sound like a know it all (although I am one) but I am a retired building inspector & general contractor. Besides I lost my own ridge vents in Hurricane Charley and learned my lesson well.

PS you have nothing to worry about unless Jim Cantore shows up in your town...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume you have aluminum ridge vents? I don't like aluminum vents the newer style plastic that shingles go on top of give better ventilation. Anyway I just thought I would mention screws work better on ridge vents than nails. They make a galvanized screw with a rubber washer under the screw head just for that purpose. Also most ridge vent manufacturers recommend fastening vents 12" on center. Not trying to sound like a know it all (although I am one) but I am a retired building inspector & general contractor. Besides I lost my own ridge vents in Hurricane Charley and learned my lesson well.

PS you have nothing to worry about unless Jim Cantore shows up in your town...

Instead of a hurricane track app..... really their should be a Cantore tracking app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.