I was wrong about Franks - Its Mullen's O

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You're still convinced he's fudging his weight by 40? You do realize he'd look like a stick figure at 6-2, 160.

I haven't given up on the kid. He's got great pocket awareness, a terrific arm and he can run.
Honestly I doubt he's 6'2" and he may be 180# but he also almost got knocked out by a walk on safety from UT-Martin.....If I were Mullen I have the "look son" talk about moving to WR.....

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Just don’t tell @Marine1. Might offend him as it would imply that FF isn’t assured of a Heisman thanks to a high completion percentage.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Quick tangent - why not? Can’t the roles of the “battering ram” be reversed? Genuinely asking. I’m just thinking a speedster QB could go outside more and the heavy back could plow the middle or vice Versace. I know it’s not that simple but I’d think concept is.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't worry about things I can't control. I worry about Friday night, not Saturday.

Why couldn't Danny or Tebow or Leak complete 93% of their passes? They played cupcakes as well. Just looked at Leak's 4 years here and he never reached 80% INCLUDING THE CUPCAKES.

Been trying to stay above the fray...BUT...what do Danny or Tebow or Leak have to do with FF?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Makes sense. It was that run by EJ that made me think of it. UTM seemed so concerned with contain on that play that the middle opened and his speed was essential to making the play a TD. I’d think the more important distinction is that a QB operating his system must be special as a runner or passer and competent (at a minimum) in the other. Assuming EJ is a special runner (inside or out) and develops into a competent passer, he should be able to effectively run the system. That was Fitzgerald’s failure as a CDM QB (IMO) - dude was great at running but couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Can you imagine what he’d have been if defenses had to respect his arm?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Regarding the former... competent means to me a threat but not necessarily Dak or Cam while being able to hit those routes FF avoids - as you pointed to in your play dissection.

Regarding the latter... I’ve been paying more attention to this and found that a lot of teams are throwing it short on 3rd and long. I’m guessing the theory is to get your guy in space with a high percentage throw and let him pick it up since 10+ yard throws are already low percentage. Don’t know if that’s smart logic but makes sense on the surface.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Two different plays. Thought I caught the time stamp, but didn't. In the first set Franks is flushed and runs. The RT gets just enough of FCS DE to keep him from getting home. But he's got Fred Johnson-esk reflexes and is going to get beat plenty this year I'm afraid.

Second play they do initially pick up the pressure. It appears to be a shot play to the left that is covered well. The guard loses his LB but didn't get totally whipped. I was giving an example on what I liked about Franks, not necessarily a failure on the line there.

If you get a change to take a close look at Delance so far, you won't like what you see.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Please stop this nonsense....no a "speedster" can't run outside and be effective....LB's and safety's will close that sh!t down in a heartbeat....did Cam or Timmy or Dak for that matter "run outside" no, no and hell no....They are quick hitters inside and also runs against man defenses (DB's have their backs turned)
Like this....The Stick Man will get knocked out doing this....trust me and he is WAY more erratic throwing the ball so he won't get the respect(man coverage) Franks gets from defenses.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude his upper arms can't be more than 14" in diameter.....if he's 205 then I'm 350....and I seriously doubt he's 6'2"....watch the games.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Makes you wonder if the throws to VJ or Cleve were the primary? What if there were options downfield available but Franks just checked down or went to the easy throw - a curl?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please stop this nonsense....no a "speedster" can't run outside and be effective....LB's and safety's will close that sh!t down in a heartbeat....did Cam or Timmy or Dak for that matter "run outside" no, no and hell no....They are quick hitters inside and also runs against man defenses (DB's have their backs turned)
Like this....The Stick Man will get knocked out doing this....trust me and he is WAY more erratic throwing the ball so he won't get the respect(man coverage) Franks gets from defenses.
Yeah, you're right. There's no way a 200-pound quarterback could make that run.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

He literally did that exact same run last week. Like, almost exactly the same. If your point is that he wom’t be able to withstand constant punishment... maybe. But I’m guessing they exploit his speed on the outside more than battering the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.