IF (big if) Franks throws for 3500 yards.....

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dak Prescott threw for 3,749 yards in 2015. MSU finished the year ranked #3.

Mullen goes with the flow. If he's got a quarterback who can chuck it, he will within the parameters of his playbook.
Um, what? The only part of that post you got right was Prescott's passing yards. They went 9-4 and finished the season unranked in 2015.

If you were thinking of 2014, Prescott threw for 3,449 yards and they finished ranked 11/12 with a 10-3 record.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Would you be willing to to admit he isnt as bad as you said.

Would you want him to return as a sr? Or is your hate that big?

Have a feeling i know the answers from certain people. At worst i'm giving Law another place to get more posts.

Franks turned the corner in the USCe game. When he started running the ball, and we made the comeback, he looked to have a sense of invincibility to him.

With his running, the passing game is about to open up, like it did late in the season. UGA and LSU are not going to be able to crowd the line on him, this year.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get it. Franks completes a lot of long passes. 20 yards in the air should be considered a long pass and Franks can throw a frozen rope that far. He's gotten better at threading the needle too quick for the DB to react. That's what I choose to look for.
If he can learn not to overthrow his deep receivers, he may have a better shot at 3,500 yards.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Wuerffel's stats were regular season only, and one less game in the regular season at that.

EDIT: I guess that is wrong. It includes SECG stats (12 games then equals 11 regular season plus SECG) but excludes bowl stats.

And in 2015, SOS sat Wuerffel so he didn't have to hear all that Heisman talk. It was a baby seal game and Kresser threw for like 450 yards and 6 TDs, before he let Shotty throw a few. :)

And he sat him for eligibility reasons. Only Andre Debose has played that long.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Um, what? The only part of that post you got right was Prescott's passing yards. They went 9-4 and finished the season unranked in 2015.

If you were thinking of 2014, Prescott threw for 3,449 yards and they finished ranked 11/12 with a 10-3 record.
I effed up by hurriedly clicking the first site when I Googled 2015 final rankings. Turned out to be proprietary rankings.

Anyway, Dak had almost 3,500 passing yards in 2014. You want a balanced attack, but in that yardage ballpark isn't harmful to winning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I actually thought you meant in passing or passing in SEC.

Dont worry, I heard it isnt actually important to be factually correct so long as you are emotionally correct.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I actually thought you meant in passing or passing in SEC.

DontDworry, I heard it isnt actually important to be factually correct so long as you are emotionally correct.

maxresdefault.jpg
I was wrong on MSU's ranking but not on Dak's yardage. What's your point?

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I think it's entirely possible for Franks to throw for that much IF our O-Line is at least decent. Will it be? I don't know. Coach Mullen seems to be the kind of coach that can get every thing out of a player. I think it's true that Mullen would rather not have to rely on Franks that much. I don't know why we would with the running backs that we have. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he reaches 3,000 yards, or close to it.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The key here is the offensive line. If they are decent, we have the weapons at the skill positions to take it to the house on every play (that that they will every play). I think we will see better accuracy on the deep ball. His inaccuracy did limit the yards plenty.

Also, if we see the coaching brilliance we saw in Atlanta (see the overloading a side run/pass option), it will open things up.

I think 3000 is possible, maybe 3500 (but probably not), but as I said it comes down to the line. And I will say, the worst this line can be is the 2018 line. Let’s not retro glamorize it, the were inconsistent. The difference is experience. However, this group has something I think is better, more experience in the system. Brett Heggie when healthy doesn’t hurt either.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen's passing attack is 70% playmakers making something out of nothing at the LOS, 30% vertical downfield throws made possible by the the defense loading up on the playmakers at the LOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen's passing attack is 70% playmakers making something out of nothing at the LOS, 30% vertical downfield throws made possible by the the defense loading up on the playmakers at the LOS.
30% downfield throws? You're insane. Go watch a replay of any game, count the plays and calculate your numbers again.

It's about 1 a quarter. Always has been.

Creyer was 1 a half, like clockwork.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
30% downfield throws? You're insane. Go watch a replay of any game, count the plays and calculate your numbers again.

It's about 1 a quarter. Always has been.

Creyer was 1 a half, like clockwork.
I ballparked it. You're probably right. It's a low and purposeful number. We need to take better advantage of the opportunities.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Franks got tackled running sideways only a few times - when his OL let them pour in. He was much improved at getting rid of the ball safely out of bounds ... but many times WRs worked clear and Franks hit them while scrambling. FF will be a good runner this upcoming season. Good chance we see great improvement in Franks' overall QB package.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Been interesting to see how the further we get from the end of last season, the more positive people seem to be about Franks. Its as if everyone is convincing themselves that the same guy that was inconsistent, inaccurate and a poor decision maker last year is going to somehow miraculously morph into an all SEC caliber QB this year. I sure hope that's the case, but I just don't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.