Jalen Hurts transfers to OU, who purposely screws their senior QB

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The ONLY reason to take ANY 1-year transfer QB is if you think they are such an improvement on the current roster that the team could reach bigger heights and/or perhaps catch lightning in a bottle in that one year. If you don't think that, there's absolutely no reason to do it.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
If we had the 06 or 08 defense, we'd be in the playoffs right now.
While Franks has his issues, he's made significant progress this year, and if he continues to improve he will most certainly start next year.
Why do you think Mullen was so bent on redshirting EJ this year?
Mullen sees something in Franks, and believes that Franks has what it takes to be successful in his offence.
I don't see Mullen taking in a QB transfer--not unless another QB (like Trask) transfers out.
What we are desperate for is talent on both the offensive and defensive lines, and mostly in the defensive secondary.
We desperately need to develop strength in both the safety and linebacker position, but everyone knows that.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
A4l7yFjCEAAz8Og.jpg:large

If it happens

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Mullens did a masterful, job in developing Franks this year. That said, Franks is challenged as far as managing the game at a high level. Hurts would be a huge upgrade with either of the Jones stepping in for 2020. Wouldn't be surprised if Jalon ended up surpassing EJ.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Aside from the two games where the defense looked like ass, KY and Mizzou, No.....I think the D was pretty solid all year.
well I hate to break it to you but our linebacker and safety play during passing plays was atrocious. Some of the worst I've ever seen. They we're helped supremely in games where our edge rushers got consistent pressure, but when they didn't it was bad. Real bad.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hurts would be good in Mullen's offense, but what long-term good would it do us? He's only got a year of eligibility left, Franks has started coming into his own now that he has coaching, and we have a couple young studs waiting to take over in 2020 at the very latest. He'd be a stopgap that frankly we don't really need.
Franks became a better QB in the SC game, when he started running the ball. It opened up the offense.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks was better than Dipshytskel LAST year and was about twice as product as Dipshyt this year.

And yet most of this board worship that mouthbreather and hate Feleipe. So funny.
Wow, how many times a day did Driskel plow your sister?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I don't think Hurts is all that great of a QB. In many ways he is quite similar to Franks, he has no touch on the ball. He may not be as good of a passer. Alabama could take any journeyman and do about as good as Hurts when he was the starter. He is much more athletic than Franks and would make a fine NFL tight end.One year at UF, I certainly hope not.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
What are you basing this on?
Based upon Mullen sticking with Franks and Franks' development in both throwing and running the ball.
Of course, EJ needed to put on some weight and time to develop; but from a developmental standpoint (as far as coaching is concerned and understanding the playbook), both QBs were pretty much on the same level.
There is a valid argument for not handing the reigns to a true freshmen; perhaps the idea was to give EJ time to develop and gain experience. But we all know that Franks really had no quality coaching, and might as well have been a true freshmen in his own right.
Franks certainly has physical talent, and if Mullen can get him to grasp the mental aspect of the game, I think we could see something really special with him. Perhaps Mullen sees it that way; it seems so with Mullen not looking to bring in a transfer like Burrow or Bryant.
Just my opinion. I think Mullen is set on developing Franks

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Long term... if Hurts came the only long term issue I'm concerned with is an ending of our long term agony and dreadful QB play.
It is hard to use a single phrase such as "long term" 3 times in the same sentence. Nicely done.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you’re wrong. At least I’m praying to God that you are. He doesn’t fit the offense.
We will know a little in the spring judging by how much EJ plays.

And maybe Hurts can play safety or LB.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
So Jalen Hurts transfers to Florida. Florida wins the SEC East and plays Alabama in the 2019 SEC Championship game. Florida wins on with Hurts running for a 20 touchdown when he can't find any receivers open on the last play of the game. How cool is that?

But you know I don't care if Hurts comes to Florida or not. Mullen has to build a championship program and not rely on some graduate transfer to come in and hope for some type of Hollywood finish. On second thought, I just as soon as Hurts doesn't come here because in the long run I think we would be better off developing our on players across the board in our own program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.