Jeff Driskel had back spasms per family

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n84740 said:
One of my fraternity brothers said he was sitting directly in front of Jeff's parents at the game. He said that he felt sorry for Jeff because his parents were upset at the fact that Jeff was even playing. He heard them say something like "Jeff shouldn't be out there, he was having severe back spasms earlier in the week." That kind of explained why Jeff was even more terrible than usual. That is on Muschamp. Why put that guy in that situation?

It is exactly what Ox said in his post game podcast (good podcast btw). It seemed like Muschamp was almost trying to embarrass Jeff for some reason. Well, I heard Muschamp say in his post game interview on the raid "I hope everybody can now see that we aren't a drop back passing team. We need to run the ball...." In other words you kept putting Jeff out there to prove a point? Why embarrass your QB/fans/players just to say "see there, I told you so"? Wow

In other news, Urban has cured his acid reflux.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Personally, I don't like the booing of the players. I'm usually a pretty big JD defender at the games, simply because I think the effort is there. He's just not very good, and has also been mentally and emotionally destroyed by the head coach and his OC's. Few of us wouldn't have gladly suited up and played if we were asked to. If it was determined that we were the best option, we'd give it our best and wouldn't want to get booed simply for not being good enough. In year 4, if JD is the best option, then he has failed miserably. Boo him, fire him, ridicule him, etc. The player's just doing what he's asked to do. I also get the scrutiny that comes with being a highly ranked recruit and playing at a place like UF. But if it's not there, it's just not there.

There was no reason to keep sending him back out there. The deep INT from Harris is exactly why he needs to be playing. Let him get those mistakes out of the way and learn from them in a year where we're already screwed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Weird argument, and I still don't understand it, meaning this: I'm hearing it's okay to boo the coaches, but not the players. Fine. But.....the players are the ones out on the field, not the coaches.

In other words, let's say the coaches play Driskel when they shouldn't, like on Saturday. He throws a pick. The crowd boos. Is the crowd booing Driskel or the coaches for putting Driskel in a situation he shouldn't be in?

Impossible to say, right? The whole things seems dumb. The fact is, college football fans rarely boo - it's more prevalent in the pros. I can only remember one booing incident in six years of Meyer, and that was briefly booing the coaches for putting Leak back in the game. My point is, if the fans know the state of the program is stable, they rarely boo. This is an extraordinarily bad situation. I really don't think at any point the fans were truly booing the players. They're booing the the state of the program.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85173 said:
Weird argument, and I still don't understand it, meaning this: I'm hearing it's okay to boo the coaches, but not the players. Fine. But.....the players are the ones out on the field, not the coaches.

In other words, let's say the coaches play Driskel when they shouldn't, like on Saturday. He throws a pick. The crowd boos. Is the crowd booing Driskel or the coaches for putting Driskel in a situation he shouldn't be in?

Impossible to say, right? The whole things seems dumb. The fact is, college football fans rarely boo - it's more prevalent in the pros. I can only remember one booing incident in six years of Meyer, and that was briefly booing the coaches for putting Leak back in the game. My point is, if the fans know the state of the program is stable, they rarely boo. This is an extraordinarily bad situation. I really don't think at any point the fans were truly booing the players. They're booing the the state of the program.

Exactly, it was probably hard to tell on TV but I was at the game and it was painfully obvious what the fans were booing about. I think it is because you could actually hear what people were saying while they were booing. "Why are you sending him back in Muschamp?" "What are you thinking Muschamp?" "Fire him NOW please"

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85173 said:

Uhhhh... no. They were saying Moooooooody. :facepalm:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n85017 said:
I don't think Muschamp forced Driskel to play. He may not be a good coach, but he has always seemed to care about his players. I do think Driskel had no business being in the game after the fumble return. I also agree that you don't boo a college player for poor performance. They get full scholarships, but that doesn't set you up for life. Boo a coach... They are making millions. I have no issue with that.

Yeah, I don't buy it that Muschamp either 1) forced Driskel to play, 2) pressured him to play to save his job or 3) put Driskel back in to prove a point. I agree that Muschamp has always come across as a guy who cares about his players' well being. I don't care what some say about him being a bad guy, I don't agree.

Furthermore, it's clearer to me now what people mean when they say the fanbase "turns" on a coach. Now Muschamp gets blamed for tons of stuff - much of it "established" purely through speculation. I agree and was already thinking about how many of us are looking for a scapegoat for our unmet expectations. When one is identified, he takes blame for what he's done or omitted, as well as anything else we can blame him for. Maybe this is why Ox is always defending Meyer? I think I'm starting to understand.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n85087]Some good comments here, but I'm afraid something is a bit remiss. We've failed to acknowledge that once you've become the national player of the year and have been recruited by all the top teams in the country and you end up as starting quarterback at the University of Florida, the subject of massive media attention, you're perhaps no longer momma's little boy tucked away in a dorm room. You're a public figure and with it comes a boatload of exposure in the form of good and bad. Sorry, Jeff, but if booing is that psychologically damaging, a career in ag science was probably a better choice. Re the appearance that Muschamp forced Driskel to play against his will and his parents' best wishes, maybe from now on the team should bring in an independent medical examiner along with an injury lawyer from the biggest billboard in town to certify in advance whether the player isn't willing to stand up for himself and is being subject to undue physical risk. We certainly wouldn't want anyone getting injured playing football.[/QUOTE]

What? I think we got off subject a little here. I am sure Jeff and his parents know that he signed up to play qb at UF. The original post was about Jeff's parents talking among themselves. Somehow that turned into them crying a river or being forced into playing. LOL

Look, I was trying to point out that it seems like Muschamp was almost trying to embarrass Jeff just to prove a point that we aren't a drop back passing football team in his opinion. This was confirmed in his post game radio interview. In other words, it seems as though he is almost saying to the fans/media...SHUT THE HELL UP and let me run the program the way I want to run it. It is either my way or the highway. Somehow we got on a tangent about Jeff's parents crying a river and about booing college players versus booing the coaches. LOL

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n85231 said:
Yeah, I don't buy it that Muschamp either 1) forced Driskel to play, 2) pressured him to play to save his job or 3) put Driskel back in to prove a point. I agree that Muschamp has always come across as a guy who cares about his players' well being. I don't care what some say about him being a bad guy, I don't agree.

Furthermore, it's clearer to me now what people mean when they say the fanbase "turns" on a coach. Now Muschamp gets blamed for tons of stuff - much of it "established" purely through speculation. I agree and was already thinking about how many of us are looking for a scapegoat for our unmet expectations. When one is identified, he takes blame for what he's done or omitted, as well as anything else we can blame him for. Maybe this is why Ox is always defending Meyer? I think I'm starting to understand.

Of course Muschamp cares about his players. Nobody is saying he is a bad guy, just a horrible coach. You can still prove a point without forcing him to play qb. Why go on the air and say "I hope everybody sees that we aren't a drop back team" if you aren't trying to prove a point? His tone came across as an "I told you so" moment.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n85237 said:
Of course Muschamp cares about his players. Nobody is saying he is a bad guy, just a horrible coach. You can still prove a point without forcing him to play qb. Why go on the air and say "I hope everybody sees that we aren't a drop back team" if you aren't trying to prove a point? His tone came across as an "I told you so" moment.

1. I am. He's a no talent, arrogant tyrant.
2. Having said that, there is no way JD was forced to play. Back spasms? For 4 years? Just excuses.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n85237 said:

Uh... maybe they are some saying he's a bad guy

ufgator812;n85293 said:
1. I am. He's a no talent, arrogant tyrant.

...and this too. You may remember writing it in the OP.

the_alphagator1906;n84740 said:
It is exactly what Ox said in his post game podcast (good podcast btw). It seemed like Muschamp was almost trying to embarrass Jeff for some reason. Well, I heard Muschamp say in his post game interview on the raid "I hope everybody can now see that we aren't a drop back passing team. We need to run the ball...." In other words you kept putting Jeff out there to prove a point? Why embarrass your QB/fans/players just to say "see there, I told you so"? Wow

It seems like you opened this thread suggesting he kept putting Jeff out there to prove a point. Whether Jeff had back pain or not, if he's continuing to put a player on the field to prove a point, while clearly embarrassing him (all points you initially suggested), that makes him a pretty bad guy. Again, I don't believe that, but you and others seem to support it.

Lastly, you say that "Nobody is saying he is a bad guy, just a horrible coach." Well, I just finished responding to someone saying that he has stolen $12MM from Florida. That seems like something a bad guy would do. Not clear enough? How about this?
soflagator;n84738 said:
Yeah. When I watched/heard him say "goddamn you" to Cody Riggs last year, he officially lost the "good guy" title. Couple that with generally being an arrogant jerk in media settings, and yelling at a fan for basically calling a spade a spade, and yeah it's official that he's a prick.
...or this?
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n84726 said:
Dunce is UGA scum. Nothing more, nothing less. Can his ass.
...or this?
T REX;n84708 said:
Good guy? Decent guy? The guy is a raving lunatic on the sidelines. What constitutes good or decent? He threw a bunch of players under the bus yesterday. That's not decent to me. I haven't a clue if he's a good person or not. Taking the team to a movie? So what? He got in a fight with a fan...that's not decent no matter what they say. He left Driskel in way too long. How is that a "good" person? Jeff was already humiliated.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Euro,

I was talking about him not being a scumbag like Lane Kiffin or a sexual predator or a racist or a thug etc. I thought that was clear but I suppose not. If those things you pointed is what makes you believe GC posters think he is a bad person then by all means you can claim that victory. LOL Congrats my friend. No arguments from me.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n85523 said:
Euro,

I was talking about him not being a scumbag like Lane Kiffin or a sexual predator or a racist or a thug etc. I thought that was clear but I suppose not. If those things you pointed is what makes you believe GC posters think he is a bad person then by all means you can claim that victory. LOL Congrats my friend. No arguments from me.

You can dismiss it if you want, but that doesn't diminish the truth that was demonstrated.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85173 said:

You don't really believe this. You look at the vitriol spewed on this board about how horrible/retarded/stupid/no-talented that Driskel is...and you think the boos aren't directed at him? How about the "Driskel you suck!" comments being yelled at the game...those directed at the coaches too?

Come on, man.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n85085 said:
Not sure what to think about that after hearing Jeff's dad was constantly threatening to have him transfer if the starting job wasn't given to him in that 2012 season.
I haven't heart that and don't believe it. In fact I heard that it was Chimp who made the call, all Chimp. He finds these players and they become his guys. JD, Jones, Clay Burton. He'll blame anyone including the fans for a 42 point deficit but won't say a bad word about his boys.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Liberals are some of the easiest targets in any theater of engagement :lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n85085 said:
Not sure what to think about that after hearing Jeff's dad was constantly threatening to have him transfer if the starting job wasn't given to him in that 2012 season. That is what a lot of people were claiming anyway. I think they may be more hurt that there son doesn't have it to play QB at a high level.

That's a lie yet you continue to repeat it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n86119 said:
I haven't heart that and don't believe it. In fact I heard that it was Chimp who made the call, all Chimp. He finds these players and they become his guys. JD, Jones, Clay Burton. He'll blame anyone including the fans for a 42 point deficit but won't say a bad word about his boys.

On another site a few who claimed they knew some support people claimed it. And it was said early in 2012 before it became apparent Driskel didn't have it as a QB but like you say its Muschamp's call even if a parent was talking stuff like that.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Law98gator;n86119 said:
Jones has done well, and I think we can all agree Westbrook has had some issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.