Jeff Driskel

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n51015 said:
KY was having success with their blitz. JD was getting popped pretty good on the echo of the whistle.

Creek you're right. UK was in a +1 most of the night, rushing 1 more than we had protection for. So if teams continue to do that Roper is going to have to go with the JD run off the spread option and then hit those quick screens and TE hits. I thought if JD held the ball a bit more and took off that would have forced Stoops to back off. They almost completely (UK) sold out that JD was not going to run.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n51021 said:
the defense until they were on the field most of the game
Somebody forgot to look at the TOP stats. I started a thread after the game about the importance of missing the Idaho game. 75% of what didn't go right against Kentucky can be drawn to that alone. New offensive system, a lot of new players in the secondary and a staff that is unfamiliar with how some of these players will react during game situations. It would have given the coaches a chance to work on some of these things. Only a limited number of players will take everything from the practice field to the game field without game experience and perform on a level against even middle of the road SEC competition...just doesn't happen.
That being said JD is what he is but if other players around him only make half of the mistakes that were made we win this game by 2 TD's easily.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n51027 said:
Look Driskel had a horrible first half, however he made up for it in the second half. Yes KY is better than ever and if they were in any other conference they would be a contender. We have to remember that that was only game 2. We won in a "shoot out" something last year we couldn't do. Not only is this a W in the win column it's a W for progression.

He played better in the second half, but I wouldn't say good or even great. He was decent with a team that was at least twice as talented as the team we were playing. I'm not saying we are on a ledge or anything of that nature. As far as a shoot out, 36-30 in 3 OTs isn't much of a shootout. I would say Miami last year with a healthy Driskel was a more of a shoot out than this game, look at the offensive production. It's not like that 7 OT with Arkansas and Ole Miss (?) in the early 2000s. But the problem most people see in Driskel is a lack of growth in certain areas. He is our best option, but that also doesn't make him Tebow, Wuerfell, Grossman, Bell, Matthews, etc... Now he has a full season to work out those issues, and as I stated above the offensive coaching is much, much better this year.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
TheDouglas78;n51021 said:
the defense until they were on the field most of the game
Somebody forgot to look at the TOP stats. I started a thread after the game about the importance of missing the Idaho game. 75% of what didn't go right against Kentucky can be drawn to that alone. New offensive system, a lot of new players in the secondary and a staff that is unfamiliar with how some of these players will react during game situations. It would have given the coaches a chance to work on some of these things. Only a limited number of players will take everything from the practice field to the game field without game experience and perform on a level against even middle of the road SEC competition...just doesn't happen.
That being said JD is what he is but if other players around him only make half of the mistakes that were made we win this game by 2 TD's easily.
Good comments.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
NCOGator;n51027 said:
Look Driskel had a horrible first half, however he made up for it in the second half. Yes KY is better than ever and if they were in any other conference they would be a contender. We have to remember that that was only game 2. We won in a "shoot out" something last year we couldn't do. Not only is this a W in the win column it's a W for progression.

He played better in the second half, but I wouldn't say good or even great. He was decent with a team that was at least twice as talented as the team we were playing. I'm not saying we are on a ledge or anything of that nature. As far as a shoot out, 36-30 in 3 OTs isn't much of a shootout. I would say Miami last year with a healthy Driskel was a more of a shoot out than this game, look at the offensive production. It's not like that 7 OT with Arkansas and Ole Miss (?) in the early 2000s. But the problem most people see in Driskel is a lack of growth in certain areas. He is our best option, but that also doesn't make him Tebow, Wuerfell, Grossman, Bell, Matthews, etc... Now he has a full season to work out those issues, and as I stated above the offensive coaching is much, much better this year.
Agreed. At one point I asked the lady in front of me who was listening to the game on radio what JDs stats were. She replied 4-13 and 185 yards (if I recall). I thought then that his 5 yard passes were turning into big yards thanks to his WRs and primarily one at that. The second half stats may have been better for him, but I saw many, many screens that were thrown or 5-8 yard passes in the second half as well that either were placed in a spot that only the receiver can get before stepping out of bounds or the WR made a play. It was obvious that Roper tried to calm JD down by giving him short passes and part of that was partly due to the blitz. There were several times where the o-line or backs picked up the +1 and JD couldn't connect with the WR. I'm hoping the missing Idaho game is the reason why, but they had a great practice last week in their game against EMU that should have helped with timing and trust.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n51040 said:

The coaching hasn't done much for him except getting the ball out faster with the play calls but I think now that we are going to face some fast defenses that is going to lead to some turnovers with all those quick passes to the flats. Saw about 4 in the first 2 games I think could have been pick 6s with fast confident DBs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n50441 said:
Connecting on deep throws does the same thing. And Driskel was miserable with that.

J, you and I know that ship has sailed. He cannot consistently connect on throws of more than 12-15 yards unless there is a bust in zone and a guy is standing downfield waving his arms Even then if he is being blitzed he probably won't see him. It is what it is...time for him to start running a bunch to slow down the blitz.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
TheDouglas78;n51040 said:

The coaching hasn't done much for him except getting the ball out faster with the play calls but I think now that we are going to face some fast defenses that is going to lead to some turnovers with all those quick passes to the flats. Saw about 4 in the first 2 games I think could have been pick 6s with fast confident DBs.
Fever,
I saw at least 3 passes in the second half that would have been picks against Alabama. The playcalling is lightyears ahead of what we were getting last year, but we were not connecting on those plays. We left a lot of yards/points on the field for our inability to connect. Driskel has all the ability, but it's not translating.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n51065 said:

Yeah I've seen a few also. One thing I noticed is JD has a problem throwing more to the left than the right side of the field. He also doesn't seem to be able to escape to the left as well as the right. I wonder if that is something Roper sees and can coach ?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Hope he plays more like the second half and less like the first half.
^^^ this guy knows what he's talking about!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n51082 said:
Yeah I've seen a few also. One thing I noticed is JD has a problem throwing more to the left than the right side of the field. He also doesn't seem to be able to escape to the left as well as the right. I wonder if that is something Roper sees and can coach ?

I am sure he is getting schooled on those things but he may just be what he is. We will probably learn a lot more this Saturday if he can adapt or not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n51082 said:

Still slightly favoring his leg, which also could be part of that as well.

O

OnlyGatorz

Founding Member
Founding Member
deuce said:
JD = No Hero

It's true that our game plan sucked for this game but, JD had multiple opportunities to make plays and by in large... he sucked!
Yes, the game plan was great. I love sthe play calling Driskel could not execute. Feels like an average QB, like Brantley days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He did that before he was hurt. It's not particularly abnormal for a guy to favor running to one side of the field.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
He did that before he was hurt. It's not particularly abnormal for a guy to favor running to one side of the field.
We were not mentioning his running, and it is true most guys favor running to their strong side especially at qb. That is just natural. But having more issues throwing to his left than right, might be an issue of confidence in the footwork.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have Towles than Driskel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.