Jim McElwain's Introductory Press Conference

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n126958 said:
With all due respect, with regard to Muschamp's pressers, if you didn't watch them, you have nothing to say about them.
There's a reason I didn't watch them. There's a reason 95% of the Gator Nation didn't watch them. Not only did he spout the same useless coachspeak every time, win or lose, he looked like death warmed over. Part of me thinks the job is even harder on him than Urban. Some people were worried he could keel over any minute.

If you actually watched all those you're a greater Gator fan than I. I heard Europeans were into weird stuff like that.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n126966 said:
There's a reason I didn't watch them. There's a reason 95% of the Gator Nation didn't watch them. Not only did he spout the same useless coachspeak every time, win or lose, he looked like death warmed over. Part of me thinks the job is even harder on him than Urban. Some people were worried he could keel over any minute.

If you actually watched all those you're a greater Gator fan than I. I heard Europeans were into weird stuff like that.

It has nothing to do with his Gator fan level and you know it. It has to do with his Muschump love.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n126985 said:
It has nothing to do with his Gator fan level and you know it. It has to do with his Muschump love.
Yeah, some guys just can't let go. I'm assuming they'll follow wherever he goes closely and root like hell for them. I've never seen anything quite like it.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n126966 said:

The only ones I watched was GSU's last year and Missouri's this year to see if he would do the right thing and quit.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n126927 said:
Here are my thoughts.
  1. Matchen and Foley need to relax on the patterned suits. We (at least I) want our players who score to "act like they've been there before" and I'd like our president and AD to dress like they've been there before. :facepalm: Can someone help them buy a suit that fits well, is moderate and classic in it's style, and doesn't make them look like pimps. :facepalm:
  2. Mac seems like a likable guy. Casual. I hope he's not too casual.
  3. He didn't talk much football - at least specifics. He didn't give any insight into his plan, the kind of offense he wants to run, the way he would build the program (other than via "relationships"), or any specifics (including timelines) about staff.
  4. Like him or not, successful or not, Muschamp did lay out more of a plan in his initial presser (the Florida way, pro-style offense, blue-collar program, etc.)
  5. Like him or not, Muschamp got lots of laughs in pressers - even more near the end. That leads me to agree that...
  6. Mac seems to feel less pressure (like he indicated). I wonder if Muschamp was to tight or affected others to be too tight.
  7. His praise of UF, Foley, and Muschamp seemed genuine. I appreciate all three and think all three deserve it.
  8. His laugh sounds like Madden ...or at least Frank Caliendo's impression of Madden. That'll stick with me and drive me nuts. So...I'm looking to make some of you miserable with me during his pressers.
  9. I hope Mac knocks it out of the park recruiting and then never loses a game. ...ever.
:chomp:

Great list and agree with all points except Muschamp getting laughs. I don't remember that ever, but I won't rule out that he might be getting laughed at.

I told my wife that I felt Muschamp gave far more of a plan in his initial press conference and she said being opposite of Muschamp isn't a bad thing. Atleast he isn't pretending to have all the answers.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Solid opening presser. Very calm and relaxed, which is likely due to his experience and confidence. As others have said, it's almost pointless to lay out specifics in a setting like this. Broad strokes is fine outside the scheming room and practice field. Long and short, I'm excited and ready to go.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I did remember and thought was really neat was his reply about teams that will play UF. "you better bring your lunch pail because its going to be a long day."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
VulcanAlex;n126941 said:
Well I do wonder about the suits that Foley wears, they look very poor to me, but perhaps they are trendy????

Definitely not trendy, but also not poor. Older high quality stuff that doesn't necessarily go together.

Also, JF, as exhibited today, isn't a great orator. Really hasn't ever been. Just not his thing.

Nautigator

Founding Member
Level 11.5 Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator, since your an expert on the latest fashion trends, could you loan your buddy Muschamp your euro metro-sexual man purse for him to use for his next job interview?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nautigator;n127035 said:
EuroGator, since your an expert on the latest fashion trends, could you loan your buddy Muschamp your euro metro-sexual man purse for him to use for his next job interview?

Anyone who has worked in business has to have decent style and should know not to wear suits with a plastic sheen to them.

Nautigator

Founding Member
Level 11.5 Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To be honest Euro and Gatoravatara, I recorded the press conference and when I watched it, I fast forwarded it till coach Mac started talking. I had no interest in what Matchen or Foley had to say so I didn't see the suits they wore, as if I cared . I'll leave it up to you two to be the resident fashion police.
Back to coach mac. I liked his demeanor and respect the fact he didn't "state a plan". How can you build a house without knowing what materials you have to work with? THIS was the ex-coach's first major fail. He wanted to implement his plan, but had the wrong types of players for it. We know what happened to that "plan". Coach mac
stated clearly that at every school he went to, his plan for success was based upon the talent he had to work with. He needs time to see what he has to work with here. I'm sure after signing day, he will have a better idea of what direction he wants to go. Who he has as asst. coaches will influence his "plan".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n127058 said:
Anyone who has worked in business has to have decent style and should know not to wear suits with a plastic sheen to them.
JFC, I don't care. All I want him to do is win.

He strikes me as a dude who wears jeans and flannel. It's fine with me.

If you metros want a team to cheer for, try Texas Tech.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n127131 said:
JFC, I don't care. All I want him to do is win.

He strikes me as a dude who wears jeans and flannel. It's fine with me.

If you metros want a team to cheer for, try Texas Tech.

I think we're also forgetting the parted "wave" hair we just endured for the past 4 years.

"1992 called. They said f the midline and give us our hair back."

Any things a step up from that.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n127140 said:
I think we're also forgetting the parted "wave" hair we just endured for the past 4 years.

"1992 called. They said f the midline and give us our hair back."

Any things a step up from that.

Zach says "Don't be a hater".

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Foley doesn't look well. At all. He gets more alien-like every day. Sometimes I wonder if he's even human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator