Kids these days will never know….

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did we already cover these:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm sure we didn't get to this, with the cassette player (wtf is that, grandad?):

s-l1600.png

Or the short lived adapters:

6076606_sd.jpg
I used the adapter

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I loved teaching in a portable. Control of the AC. Make all the noise I wanted. Usually had a bathroom. I was gonna postt this in the serious thread but i figure its about things children will never experience or most kids will not. A huge part of my youth and early adulthood.

Kitchens
On this day where people find comfort in their faith and families I remember two places I always felt loved and safe. One from my very first memories as a boy and then later after I became a man.
My grandparents lived in a small town just south of Lakeland Fla called Medulla. It had a very old school my dad attended for elementary school, a RR running through it and a swamp and orange groves. My grandparents had an old mining house right on the edge of a swamp where grandpa planted his grove. The most wonderful citrus I never get anymore.
The front room as you come in the back of the house was a big square kitchen with at least a twelve foot ceiling. I remember it was yellow with two windows facing north and west. Grandma spent much of the day there. When we visited I never could get there before her in the morning. Always ready to make my favorite breakfast it seemed. Grandpa would sit at a small side table reading the Lakeland Ledger or Tampa Tribune where he had a small reading light.
I always headed to the fridge when we rolled in at night from our ride from Archer. She had a jar of maraschino cherries I swear she kept just for me. I have a picture of my dad and youngest brother sitting in there reading the paper. Acrees read newspapers always. Both are gone now along with the real newspapers we used to read. Grandma’s kitchen was my safe place. Where I saw her work for her family to have wonderful homemade rolls, pancakes and bacon, old molasses cookies and ambrosia from their citrus grove. I can still see the phone on the wall with the old green children’s high chair under it. Just a seat at the top of two little steps. No safety to it. I kept it for many years. I keep her kitchen in my heart and memories now.
My other kitchen came along when I graduated from HS. Her name was Grann Grann and she was close to the battles in WW2. A nurse and extraordinary woman. She basically adopted me when her youngest brought me home to become part of the family for three decades. Emily was the mother I dreamed about. Her kitchen was bigger than grandmas. But had much of the same things. A small metal grease catcher to season her amazing vegetables. I stainless steel sink I washed many dishes in. And a long old table with sweet and low along with instant coffee in the middle. I cannot tell you the color of the kitchen but it was warm and always waiting for me to grab a chunk of her incredible pound cake. Seems like there was one always sitting there, much like the maraschino cherries grandma had. I've never tasted a cake that good anywhere. Always made from scratch. She made mustard greens I could eat everyday. They were so perfect and I still tell people about her liver and onions and pies. But more important was her love for all of us. She was so positive and caring and it was unconditional for me. She bought me my first suit jacket and pants from the old Penneys downtown Gville. She did so much for me I am tearing up as I type this. I have some apologizing to do in heaven one day but seeing her again will be a real highlight. Kitchens may mean different things at times but I had two that were run by two amazing women born long ago and touched my life in ways I can never repay.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I’m planning to revive this whole Barry White vibe I developed while listening to K-Tel records in the ‘70s. “You know baby, sometimes it takes love to make love…”

Fkn K-Tel compilation records. smdh

To go along with Columbia House 12 CDs for a penny.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What? Not a Boy Scout?

Cub scout for about 6 months then quit. Mom always wanted the family to go camping, we we did periodically. After a night in Osceola State Forest on an air matress losing air, sleeping with the groceries next to me and heceforth waking up covered in ants...I abhorred camping. Hotels only.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Cub scout for about 6 months then quit. Mom always wanted the family to go camping, we we did periodically. After a night in Osceola State Forest on an air matress losing air, sleeping with the groceries next to me and heceforth waking up covered in ants...I abhorred camping. Hotels only.
Scout from age 8 to 16. I wanted to go to a service academy and achieve high rank. Back then the odds of making General were much higher for Eagle Scouts. I never "enjoyed" camping but what I learned really helped in the service. Today, my idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn Express with no cable.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Camping is not for everyone. I didn’t do much as a kid but those are some of the best memories made with our kids. We’ve done some amazing trips and hopefully not finished yet but we did sell our travel trailer during covid. Hoping to get a new truck and trailer so we can go out west.

Michigan - traverse city, sleeping bear dunes
SC - Edisto beach
Virginia - Virginia Creeper bike trail
Tennessee several times with bikes
NY - Niagara Falls, Canada, Watkins Glen

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I love camping. Just can't do it when it's hot out. Mosquitos will ruin it every time. I've camped in a tent cot when it was 15 deg outside. Warm as could be. Just had issues getting out of the sleeping bag.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I love camping. Just can't do it when it's hot out. Mosquitos will ruin it every time. I've camped in a tent cot when it was 15 deg outside. Warm as could be. Just had issues getting out of the sleeping bag.

Yikes. You may need to check out the fitness suggestions thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.