Mason fired at Vandy; hire Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I bet Hugh Freeze gets one of these gigs.
Yes, I'm betting Hugh Freeze is chomping at the bit to take over a Vandy, a school that can't get any talented recruits, has no financial support from the university, and plays a full SEC schedule. Dream job.

I know Vandy is winless, but in looking at their schedule which games were they supposed to win and didn't? We know the answer, because Vanderbilt has been the underdog in every SEC game they've played for years. Would they be keeping Mason if he was 1-7 instead of 0-8?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I'm betting Hugh Freeze is chomping at the bit to take over a Vandy, a school that can't get any talented recruits, has no financial support from the university, and plays a full SEC schedule. Dream job.

I know Vandy is winless, but in looking at their schedule which games were they supposed to win and didn't? We know the answer, because Vanderbilt has been the underdog in every SEC game they've played for years. Would they be keeping Mason if he was 1-7 instead of 0-8?

If Tennessee didn't get cancelled they would be 1-8... which is what they should be.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hugh freeze ain't going to south Carolina or freaking Vanderbilt lol. I worry about some guys for real

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze may get a shot at a Penn State or Michigan or some school like that, that's what he'll be going for.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I too wonder wtf Vandy is thinking? Exactly what are their goals for the football program? This firing probably has more to do with coaches not getting along with administration or some such thing than their football record.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Odom would probably be my first choice but you're right about Mason too. If you take a failed head coach like Mason or Odom and pay em todd Grantham money, we could have the defense locked down forever. Unless they were willing to take a drastic pay cut to be a HC again.

As we've all stated over and over again, almost anyone would be an upgrade over Grantham. I have never seen defense as thoroughly terrible as ours - schematically and fundamentally. And from a game prep perspective. While we're clearly not recruiting at the Gump/Bucknut/Clemmy level, we are recruiting far better than the results these kids are producing on the field. So either the recruiting services suck at evaluating talent or we are not coaching them up once they get on campus.

The choices above certainly would be an upgrade. I'd like to see Jim Leavitt get a long look. His defenses have always been consistently good. Even though his skin is the wrong color, apparently, he's been successful on the recruiting trail, essentially selling nothing but dreams from a double-wide as he built USF from the ground up. So, presumably he could sell around our facilities shortcomings. And I'd have to assume he has good ties throughout Florida high schools. It seems unlikely he'll ever be a head coach again, so if we tossed him decent money, he might stick around a while ala Venebales at Clemmy or Foster at VA Tech.

Regardless, I hope the spat on the sideline between Grantham and Mullen Saturday means a change might be coming when the season ends. At this point I believe literally anyone would give us a chance to have a better defense.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze may get a shot at a Penn State or Michigan or some school like that, that's what he'll be going for.

Maybe, but his "southern boy" schtick seems a mismatch for staid Big10 institutions like these. And I'd say that even if he came without a history of scandal, which is always bad, but sex scandals are the worst. It seems unlikely that the Nits would hire a southern pervert after having a convicted pederast on staff all those years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but his "southern boy" schtick seems a mismatch for staid Big10 institutions like these. And I'd say that even if he came without a history of scandal, which is always bad, but sex scandals are the worst. It seems unlikely that the Nits would hire a southern pervert after having a convicted pederast on staff all those years.

Well they did cover up child abuse and then hire a coach who helped cover up a rape... but yeah hanging with hookers is so much worse comparatively.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Way to miss the point, jackass.

:rolleyes3:

The point is there was no point... They celebrated a dude they hired knowing was part of a rape investigation. Him being a pervert is right on brand for them. If he was into URG tossing, he would be completely on brand.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

He is winning at Liberty. Dream job...Those are your words...If he brought Vandy to 6-6 in a time when UT is sucking wind...Someone would come looking.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Vandy is stupid. They will not do better than Mason with the amount of resources they are willing to put towards it.

If I was AD at South Carolina I would be calling Mason early and often.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Vandy is stupid. They will not do better than Mason with the amount of resources they are willing to put towards it.

If I was AD at South Carolina I would be calling Mason early and often.

You might be right...I've never been impressed with Mason however, a lot of former coaches seem to like him.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Vandy needs to go after a coach like Navy's Ken Niumatalolo or Army's Jeff Monken. I would think that would be another perfect school for the triple option never pass the ball type offense.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Vandy needs to go after a coach like Navy's Ken Niumatalolo or Army's Jeff Monken. I would think that would be another perfect school for the triple option never pass the ball type offense.

Vandy like Tulane should not be in the SEC or should drop football.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Point of Order--

If there is a Vandy thread with no mention of "Vandy Girl", is it really a Vandy thread?

:scratchchin:

Does anybody even remember "Vandy Girl"???

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.