Monday Presser 09/04/23: Post Utah

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Taking accountability for the result was the right response. The buck does stop with the Napier. He knows by looking at video what went wrong and now he and his team need to fix the mistakes, learn from what happened and move on. Is it coaching, players or a combination of both.
On the STC he didnt give any ground at the press conference, but good bet that he has made some adjustments . His ego as HBC is not going to let the media boys tell him how to handle special teams. One thing about being the head coach is that your performance is based on W's and L's . Or as Bill Parcells liked to say "you are what your record says you are" .

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like Billy and I have said that he is rebuilding the roster and that he really cares about his players and I think he turns the bad culture into good. But I have also said that I do not believe he should be the OC since he is tasked with so many other things. His offense is soft as hell. He does not have any fire (at least I havent seen it) and if he hates losing enough you would think he would try most anything to win. His refusal to not hire an OC will be his demise. Not only does he need an OC because he has too much on his plate but he just isnt very good at it. I wish him well but he only has so much time. Do the right thing or prove me wrong.
I agree with you 100%. And I'm going to piggyback off this. If he wants to survive here, he's going to have to do a few things. I believe he's gonna have to win atleast 5 games and somewhat hold this recruiting class together. That's just to survive to next year and I think it's doable.
Once we hit this off-season he needs hire an OC and whoever the OC wants to bring in to coach the oline because they usually go hand in hand. Wholesale changes to the offensive staff and his philosophy. Because he's been fired once as an oc and headed straight for another firing. Assign someone to coach special teams. And lastly, he needs to actually attack the portal this off-season. None of this " methodical " and "patience " when it comes to portal. That hasn't worked out too well. Grab some game changers and take advantage of it. I don't see how any coach could watch fsu , Colorado, tcu and say "why didn't we do that?"There's no way he survives next year without all of this happening.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
No one asked about the clock management when down 21 and getting the ball to start the 3rd quarter, but not scoring for 6 plus minutes.
No one asked about using up 4 minutes at 6 minutes to go with the ball (or not using tempo then after showing it earlier in the game).
No one asked about the prevalance of 2 WR routes on several key 3rd and 4th downs, or 1 WR and a TE downfield with a dynamic guy like Wilson just standing behind the line waiting for the ball.
No one asked where Mizell, Jean, and Boardingham were.
No one asked his rationale for playing Odom and Hansen so heavily when needing to score quickly from mid-3rd quarter on.
No one asked his rationale on (1) getting the ball to one of our slowest options, Zanders, on the final 4th down play; (2) the preceding play pop-pass to Etienne on 3rd and 7 into the boundary and if his entire rationale was to just play for a better 4th down distance instead of trying twice to convert a first with 7 yards to go, or (3) the rationale on running that shuffle pass out of a bunch set and motioning Pearsal into the middle (further bunching the field) instead of spreading everyone out before trying to sneak a guy across the middle.
There are more, and direct, but perhaps too aggressive of questions, such as "would you consider an early season switch at OC or play calling duties?" Or, "is there any other coach on the staff that has a history of calling offensive plays?"
Last, no one asked him if his analytics and metrics show that methodical drives with such short passes require perfection, and if that is why a couple penalties seemed more damning of our drives than other offenses would experience.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
One positive is that he did seem far more frustrated at this press conference, after watching the film, than he did post-game Thursday. Hopefully some of that frustration is with his own strategy and personnel decisions, but overall, I take that as a positive sign that he did do more analysis and was willing to give a harsher assessment after getting into the details.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No one asked about the clock management when down 21 and getting the ball to start the 3rd quarter, but not scoring for 6 plus minutes.
No one asked about using up 4 minutes at 6 minutes to go with the ball (or not using tempo then after showing it earlier in the game).
No one asked about the prevalance of 2 WR routes on several key 3rd and 4th downs, or 1 WR and a TE downfield with a dynamic guy like Wilson just standing behind the line waiting for the ball.
No one asked where Mizell, Jean, and Boardingham were.
No one asked his rationale for playing Odom and Hansen so heavily when needing to score quickly from mid-3rd quarter on.
No one asked his rationale on (1) getting the ball to one of our slowest options, Zanders, on the final 4th down play; (2) the preceding play pop-pass to Etienne on 3rd and 7 into the boundary and if his entire rationale was to just play for a better 4th down distance instead of trying twice to convert a first with 7 yards to go, or (3) the rationale on running that shuffle pass out of a bunch set and motioning Pearsal into the middle (further bunching the field) instead of spreading everyone out before trying to sneak a guy across the middle.
There are more, and direct, but perhaps too aggressive of questions, such as "would you consider an early season switch at OC or play calling duties?" Or, "is there any other coach on the staff that has a history of calling offensive plays?"
Last, no one asked him if his analytics and metrics show that methodical drives with such short passes require perfection, and if that is why a couple penalties seemed more damning of our drives than other offenses would experience.
I believe russ Callaway was a hell of play caller. He may have been the oc when Samford hung 50 on us a few years ago. Even if he'd already left, that's the system he ran and was that.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Hogtown sports media is like always, is more worried about access to the free buffet and press box and not ask the questions that could make any coach look bad. They're all pussies. Always have been dating back to that juicy jawed bastard Buddy Martin forward.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Okay, I watched the entire presser. He did in fact say the buck stops with him and he's the final word on that. Good for him. But what bothered me was he deflected the question asked of him a few times and simply did not answer what was asked of him. I'm not going to tick them off but I'll address one specifically which I felt was truly bothersome. He was asked specifically, "Were there any communcation issues with the offense? With the offensive line?" He absolutely did not address that and said something to the effect of we need to run the ball more and 3.1 yards per carry doesn't cut it. Fine, he was right about that but he didn't answer the damn question and I thought it was a relevant one and a damn good one. The whole game Mertz kept getting antsy looking to the sideline WAITING for the damn call. That contributed to a lack of rhythm to the game until the one drive at the end where they got the throw away TD running 13 plays in 6 minutes like they were on a Sunday stroll and no urgency. No one seems to be bothered by that. Well I guess its just me then. This guy better get this figured out. Perhaps we get struck by lightening and we win over UT and UK. Who knows. But if we don't freaking MANHANDLE McNeese St. it isn't going to bode well for us the rest of the season. They are a BAD team and these players better look like they are disciplined and playing like they want to win. Napier right now seems like he's playing NOT to lose. He needs to play to win and look like it on the sidelines for the sake of the players.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The Hogtown sports media is like always, is more worried about access to the free buffet and press box and not ask the questions that could make any coach look bad. They're all pussies. Always have been dating back to that juicy jawed bastard Buddy Martin forward.

They’re a bunch of ball licking fanboys.

Will Miles was torching BN for his answer regarding the special teams snafus. Billy said the jersey thing was a unique situation and will called BS. We’re supposed to believe that no team has ever had an opponent in fourth and short with options to kick or go for it in the history of the game? God damn I hate it when these jokers think they can get away with answering things in that way and I’ve been listening to crap like that for 14 years from these asshats.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, I watched the entire presser. He did in fact say the buck stops with him and he's the final word on that. Good for him. But what bothered me was he deflected the question asked of him a few times and simply did not answer what was asked of him. I'm not going to tick them off but I'll address one specifically which I felt was truly bothersome. He was asked specifically, "Were there any communcation issues with the offense? With the offensive line?" He absolutely did not address that and said something to the effect of we need to run the ball more and 3.1 yards per carry doesn't cut it. Fine, he was right about that but he didn't answer the damn question and I thought it was a relevant one and a damn good one. The whole game Mertz kept getting antsy looking to the sideline WAITING for the damn call. That contributed to a lack of rhythm to the game until the one drive at the end where they got the throw away TD running 13 plays in 6 minutes like they were on a Sunday stroll and no urgency. No one seems to be bothered by that. Well I guess its just me then. This guy better get this figured out. Perhaps we get struck by lightening and we win over UT and UK. Who knows. But if we don't freaking MANHANDLE McNeese St. it isn't going to bode well for us the rest of the season. They are a BAD team and these players better look like they are disciplined and playing like they want to win. Napier right now seems like he's playing NOT to lose. He needs to play to win and look like it on the sidelines for the sake of the players.
Anyone else want to chip in for a hooker for Paul here? Yeesh.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good news boys. I can't believe no one else mentioned it. Nothing can stop us now.

Billy said it.at the 2.30 mark.

Mission Reaction GIF

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Bama ear ho

“Billy Napier continues to underwhelm as a head coach at Florida,” Finebaum said. “That is now, what, 14 games into his tenure? It looked like his first game. He looked clueless at times.”

“There’s just nothing he says that really is compelling. He said, ‘Yeah, I saw a lot of good things‘. No! You didn’t see a lot of good things,” continued Finebaum. “I don’t mind a coach who goes up there and just takes responsibility. That says I blew it, it won’t happen again, gives the Tim Tebow promise speech. Just don’t go in there and sound like a high school gym teacher.”

if that doesn’t breathe fire into CBN‘s soul, nothing will

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Bama ear ho

“Billy Napier continues to underwhelm as a head coach at Florida,” Finebaum said. “That is now, what, 14 games into his tenure? It looked like his first game. He looked clueless at times.”

“There’s just nothing he says that really is compelling. He said, ‘Yeah, I saw a lot of good things‘. No! You didn’t see a lot of good things,” continued Finebaum. “I don’t mind a coach who goes up there and just takes responsibility. That says I blew it, it won’t happen again, gives the Tim Tebow promise speech. Just don’t go in there and sound like a high school gym teacher.”

if that doesn’t breathe fire into CBN soul
I'm not saying Paul Finebaum is wrong.
But I am saying I don't give a damn what Paul Finebaum is saying.
He is a verbal clickbait and is just trying to be sensational and relavent.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying Paul Finebaum is wrong.
But I am saying I don't give a damn what Paul Finebaum is saying.
He is a verbal clickbait and is just trying to be sensational and relavent.
And the fact the man is a real chode if you see him out in public with no cameras around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.