Recruiting Mullen gets show cause; cannot recruit off-campus for a year

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Some of these comments... holy smokes. Does anybody read? Go read through these comments and replace each instance of the word “cheating” with “spent fifteen minutes in a coach’s office while a recruit they haven’t signed was present,” and you’ll get as annoyed as I am. Every time I come to this site I feel like I’m at a dive bar at noon on a Tuesday.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
This. Dude just isn't the guy. At this point, its not a matter of if, but when. The sooner the better.

I agree he’s not ultimately the guy, but that doesn’t mean “the sooner” is “the better.” Absent a plan, and capacity to improve the head coach this year, it could be sooner is absolutely worse when you at least have someone of Mullen’s level.

This is a bit of an alteration on the Solfa hire defense in the first place. He may not be who we need long term, but is he right for now. I adamantly disagreed with not swinging for a HR then (I thought that was Frost and we will never know if he would have killed it here, as his background was as close to Urban as we've seen).

Now, though, you have to know/strongly believe you are making a marked upgrade because we are at least stabilizing ourselves from the laughing stock we were for 8 years. A strong likelihood of an upgrade is a narrow pool even if you attack Mullen often (as I do).

I don’t see the out that makes sense today. But, I believe we should be looking/constantly monitoring and realizing we need an upgrade when that upgrade becomes available (opposed to waiting for a total sh!tshow of a season and bottoming out). The market should decide our next move, not our performance per se.

The problem is our AD and boosters won’t be this cut throat and we will need to linger and will be responsive to our poor performance, not active in upgrading to someone proving excellence elsewhere.

TLDR:
Once again, with these massive buyouts you DO NOT fire a coach until you have their replacement lined up. When dafuq will these folks figure this out?

Last edited:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I agree he’s not ultimately the guy, but that doesn’t mean “the sooner” is “the better.” Absent a plan, and capacity to improve the head coach this year, it could be sooner is absolutely worse when you at least have someone of Mullen’s level.

This is a bit of an alteration on the Solfa hire defense in the first place. He may not be who we need long term, but is he right for now. I adamantly disagreed with not swinging for a HR then.

Now, though, you have to know/strongly believe you are making a marked upgrade because we are at least stabilizing ourselves from the laughing stock we were for 8 years. A strong likelihood of an upgrade is a narrow pool even if you attack Mullen often (as I do).

I don’t see the out that makes sense today. But, I believe we should be looking/constantly monitoring and realizing we need an upgrade when that upgrade becomes available (opposed to waiting for a total sh!tshow of a season and bottoming out). The market should decide our next move, not our performance per se.

The problem is our AD and boosters won’t be this cut throat and we will need to linger and will be responsive to our poor performance, not active in upgrading to someone proving excellence elsewhere.
I just don't see Dan as an upgrade over our past two coaches that you suggested made us a laughing stock. He's really done no better. Mac got to Atlanta twice and Chump had a season where he was a play away from the BCS title game. Now we have a guy that gets busted for recruiting violations for a kid from Seattle......can't figure out how to manage the clock, asks a statue of a QB that can flat out read a D and sling the ball to run QB keepers and ignores a completely incompetent DC. That's not a winning combo. Time to move on in my book.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our AD wont look at the recruiting and direction of the program.

It takes 4-8 to get fired here.

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not ashamed of Mullen. I support him 100% so if that's a bannable offense please kick me off lifetime ban. I'll go down as the Mullen man. . I'd rather have Saban or someone else but for our situation he was the best available. Firing talk is insanity. He's so not even closed to be fired.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CreamyYearlyKingbird-max-1mb.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ashamed of Mullen. I support him 100% so if that's a bannable offense please kick me off lifetime ban. I'll go down as the Mullen man. . I'd rather have Saban or someone else but for our situation he was the best available. Firing talk is insanity. He's so not even closed to be fired.
People keep saying this. Maybe he WAS the best available 3 years ago. He’s pulled a chunk of the program out of the gutter, but this is as good as we’re going to get under him. Time to say thanks and move on to someone who may give UF a chance at the next level.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some of these comments... holy smokes. Does anybody read? Go read through these comments and replace each instance of the word “cheating” with “spent fifteen minutes in a coach’s office while a recruit they haven’t signed was present,” and you’ll get as annoyed as I am. Every time I come to this site I feel like I’m at a dive bar at noon on a Tuesday.
Gator fans are disgruntled, this is news to you? Also, this IS a sports bar.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017

I get where you’re coming from, but can’t say that I support him 100%. Maybe 60%. Fire Grantham and being in a competent defensive staff that can recruit, he gets to maybe 75%. Get recruiting up to the top 5 o a consistent basis and he gets me to 90%. Stop making stupid clock management and down and distance calls, and he makes up the rest of the way to 100%.

I’m definitely not ready to fire him, unless an obvious upgrade is lined up. We can’t afford to step backwards at this point.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can't they all be fired now for cause? What a cluster ***k

Yes

If inclined, UF could can Mullen today and owe him nothing.
Unfortunately, the administration must believe that the program is doing better than we realize.

I fought back the laughter when I received Stricklin’s email about the violations that included “Winning with integrity” in the first sentence. The lack of self awareness is incredible

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.