Napier’s first full offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Lots of talk about last years offense but tbh, we didnt really have any playmakers beyond Pearsall on the outside and AR was either on or off (and he seemed to be off at the worst times). I think the staff has made great strides to rectify the playmakers on the outside with recruiting but Im not sure that is something that will be realized early in the season. As for the inconsistencies of AR, its hard to pin that on the coach because its kinda been his theme since he got here with the previous staff as well, plus not really having players on the outside kinda magnified his off games, but I guess we are going to have to see how it works out. The answer normally is somewhere in the middle so I kinda bet its a bit of AR and a bit of the coaching, but it was a first year staff with a first year starter too. I just hope to see some consistency with the offense and steady improvement throughout the season.

Im more excited about the defense because we did a really quick job of fixing our trenches. I think we are going to be nasty on the line.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
BN was pretty clear at SEC media days, he likes the talent but the talent needs to get their feet wet by live fire to improve. He said repeatedly that the two's and three's in a lot of spots will be young. And as we all know, they can be really talented but it also means they will probably be inconsistent. It's just where we are and I'm ok with it. I'd much rather be in this situation than what we just had.

Last edited:

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't want to start a new post but I'll throw this up here.

I don't want to get my hopes up because I'm still on the fence about Billy.

After watching the last three highlight videos of Mertz (2021-2023). Billy may end up actually being right. I know Mertz gets dumped on and needs to correct some errors ... But... he has a very quick release and does seem to be able to see the field very well. Kinda Trask-Grier like.

In all fairness I did not watch his lowlights, only the highlights, but if Billy really can coach (undecided at this time); I think we can be a tough and competitive team even this year.

I'm so jaded at present, if I wasn't so on the fence I would be pretty excited! It can go either way, at least by the end of this year I think we'll know exactly what we have with Billy.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
BN was pretty clear at SEC media days, he likes the talent but the talent needs to get their feet wet by live fire to improve. He said repeatedly that the two's and three's in a lot of spots will be young. And as we all know, they can be really talented but it also means they will probably be inconsistent. It's just where we are and I'm ok with it. I'd much rather be in this situation than what we just had.
Live fire is correct. With the schedule the next two years can you imagine what the experience with the talent this team is going to have. I am ok with what we're looking at in '23/'24. Look out for '25.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Live fire is correct. With the schedule the next two years can you imagine what the experience with the talent this team is going to have. I am ok with what we're looking at in '23/'24. Look out for '25.
To continue recruiting momentum, we need to have a better than last season, and fewer coaching oddities. Just has to be some progression. I hope Mertz turns out to be a decent SEC QB. I still have hope we land a big WR.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thought about progress this way today:

1. Own our 2 cupcakes, KY, Mizzou, SC and Vandy. Yes, KY is well coached and SC can be tough on the road but good UF teams win these routinely.

2. Reassert ourselves over Ut $ f$u. Solid Gator teams beat these guys most of the time.

3. Hold serve at home vs. Ark. The SECw home game is winnable.

4. Win ar least one of Utah, LSU or UGA - Our plan is to compete with anyone. We will take lumps but let’s dish some out while we climb into relevance.

I expect we will lose 2 games that we could/should win for a total of 8 wins and 4 losses.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Thought about progress this way today:

1. Own our 2 cupcakes, KY, Mizzou, SC and Vandy. Yes, KY is well coached and SC can be tough on the road but good UF teams win these routinely.

2. Reassert ourselves over Ut $ f$u. Solid Gator teams beat these guys most of the time.

3. Hold serve at home vs. Ark. The SECw home game is winnable.

4. Win ar least one of Utah, LSU or UGA - Our plan is to compete with anyone. We will take lumps but let’s dish some out while we climb into relevance.

I expect we will lose 2 games that we could/should win for a total of 8 wins and 4 losses.

I like this, someone putting something quantifiable. I don’t think we get there for now, but I do think it’s a good standard moving forward.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope this doesn’t turn out to be another non-qualifier due to an Algebra problem…Florida Law requires Algebra for every college student I think.
He’s already in isn’t he? I saw something on this a couple weeks ago and for some reason I don’t recall getting this kid from the juco ranks.

But moderators on the other boards love this kid. They think he’s instant impact.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s already in isn’t he? I saw something on this a couple weeks ago and for some reason I don’t recall getting this kid from the juco ranks.

But moderators on the other boards love this kid. They think he’s instant impact.
He is only in if he completes his A.A.(and it must meet Florida’s Algebra requirement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.