Founding Member
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it's just refreshing to have LB's that look like SEC LB's. It has to be easier to scheme things with real LB's.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Biggish for an OLB. So does OLB mean rush end as well? I remember when we wished for a LB 225+. Things have changed.
Donkey:

Yeah I remember when almost every linebacker and defensive end on the team was smaller than Tre Grimes or Justin Slower. Hopefully we never have 220 lb DEs and 245 lb WRs again. Both were travesties.

Ivory is a Rush/Jack/Buck hybrid OLB DE. He is much bigger than the flyweights we had, who hilariously couldn't cover regardless of how undersized they were.

When you think hybrid, think Fowler, who was something like 6-5 265, which is just about perfect. Greenard also. Adam Shuler was close and played outside linebacker at WVU before he got to Florida and was immediately tagged as a nose tackle by Dwagtham.

If we are going to play the UL Lafayette defense (I haven't watched USM to see Jackoff's defense) then the rush linebacker will actually fall into coverage about 30% of the time. A 260 lb guy is going to struggle with covering anyone but a tight end or h back, and usually you're going to scheme to have the other outside linebacker/star (or maybe the strong safety) covering a slot receiver rather than tasking the rush backer with that. If it is an obvious passing situation you may well substitute out maybe a nose tackle for an extra linebacker or DB anyway and give the rush backer a straight DE in a 3 down linemen assignment. There shouldn't be too many big mismatches.

The thing is that the rush backer, when not dropping into coverage approximately 70% of the time, is going to be the edge player opposite the strong side defensive end. Taking on an SEC OT (320-360 lbs) is a big job for anyone but the smaller rush is still going to have to do those duties. Realistically anyone smaller than about 260 lb is really going to struggle. There's a reason no one else had a bunch of 230 lb guys playing defensive line/edge.

I noticed on the roster that some guys are labeled rush and some guys that appear to be rush or labeled outside linebackers. I'm not sure exactly what to take from that. To me, it is the same. Perhaps they're going to play the heavier edges on running downs and the OLB type rush backers on 3rd and long. Or maybe they have an intern doing the roster and guessing like they always have.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey:

Yeah I remember when almost every linebacker and defensive end on the team was smaller than Tre Grimes or Justin Slower. Hopefully we never have 220 lb DEs and 245 lb WRs again. Both were travesties.

Ivory is a Rush/Jack/Buck hybrid OLB DE. He is much bigger than the flyweights we had, who hilariously couldn't cover regardless of how undersized they were.

When you think hybrid, think Fowler, who was something like 6-5 265, which is just about perfect. Greenard also. Adam Shuler was close and played outside linebacker at WVU before he got to Florida and was immediately tagged as a nose tackle by Dwagtham.

If we are going to play the UL Lafayette defense (I haven't watched USM to see Jackoff's defense) then the rush linebacker will actually fall into coverage about 30% of the time. A 260 lb guy is going to struggle with covering anyone but a tight end or h back, and usually you're going to scheme to have the other outside linebacker/star (or maybe the strong safety) covering a slot receiver rather than tasking the rush backer with that. If it is an obvious passing situation you may well substitute out maybe a nose tackle for an extra linebacker or DB anyway and give the rush backer a straight DE in a 3 down linemen assignment. There shouldn't be too many big mismatches.

The thing is that the rush backer, when not dropping into coverage approximately 70% of the time, is going to be the edge player opposite the strong side defensive end. Taking on an SEC OT (320-360 lbs) is a big job for anyone but the smaller rush is still going to have to do those duties. Realistically anyone smaller than about 260 lb is really going to struggle. There's a reason no one else had a bunch of 230 lb guys playing defensive line/edge.

I noticed on the roster that some guys are labeled rush and some guys that appear to be rush or labeled outside linebackers. I'm not sure exactly what to take from that. To me, it is the same. Perhaps they're going to play the heavier edges on running downs and the OLB type rush backers on 3rd and long. Or maybe they have an intern doing the roster and guessing like they always have.
TLTR

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude may be a fraud…we shall see.

Coaches not allowed to comment.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dude may be a fraud…we shall see.

Coaches not allowed to comment.
Apparently he’s stuck in a bus station in Gainesville, GA. He did pass the algebra, but JuCo geography let him down.

It’s an NCAA violation for anyone from UF to pick him up or even talk to him during a non-contact period. He used up all his NIL $ on lunch, but hopefully an area church will help him with a bus ticket and basic toiletries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.