Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can be an arshole all you want, but you know damn well pro contracts aren’t dependent on fans collecting money so that teams can sign top athletes. But by all means, continue being a dipshyt
All of the money those pro athletes earn comes from the fans. In fact that NFL's collective bargaining agreement specifies exactly what percentage the players get. It's about half. So whether you are buying merchandise, a ticket to the game, or renewing your TV subscription, there is no way for you to avoid your money going to the players.

In the case of college football, that isn't how it works. You buy merchandise and tickets, or whatever else, and the UAA can spend it on women's lacrosse or whatever they want - they just can't give it to the players. So when you say the fans shouldn't have to give money to the players, they don't have to! They can if they want, but it's totally their choice unlike in the NFL.

And where the players are getting close to half the revenue in the NFL, it's probably closer to 10% in college football if you believe the numbers that have been floating around.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord, I am not saying the money that pros make isn't as a result of fans. I'm done, you win.
Right. You were saying that fans shouldn't have to give money to the players -- in college they don't, they choose whether their money goes to the school or the players based on how they spend it.

You also said that in the pros fans aren't collecting money for the players -- and this really isn't true, a specific percentage of every dollar they spend goes to the players and they have no control over it.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Right. You were saying that fans shouldn't have to give money to the players -- in college they don't, they choose whether their money goes to the school or the players based on how they spend it.

You also said that in the pros fans aren't collecting money for the players -- and this really isn't true, a specific percentage of every dollar they spend goes to the players and they have no control over it.
I'm done. You win. This doesn't need a reply.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think college football fans being asked to pay the players is BS, pure and simple.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I think college football fans being asked to pay the players is BS, pure and simple.
Some of us and our families have been doing that and more for decades. I'm sick of it all. I feel like Red. That's makes me even sicker because I hate red...

raw.gif

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
We should make an app that lets Gator fans push a button on their phone to donate money to a guys NIL fund every time they make a big play. Patent it so that other teams can't use it. Let the user decide the amount, but just a few bones per transaction could add up. Positive reinforcement.

Etienne busts an 80 yard TD run against UT, and .01% of Gator fans watching hit the button to send him an average of $10. I looked for some stats, and if accurate, we averaged like 2.1 million viewers per game in 2021. That would be like $2,100. Maybe the % of people donating wouldn't be that high, and maybe they would only donate $5 on average, but rivalry games would get better ratings, and emotions would be higher and wallets looser. And then there are fans at the game, or listening on the radio, etc. Hell, have the phone app send an notifications real time during games when someone makes a big play. Especially if it is a big momentum changer, or game clincher. So if someone is stuck at a wedding or something, they can still get in on it.

And when it comes time to make that push for NIL money to get a kid to commit or sign, the app should send a notification that we need to raise however much by some time or he might sign with FSU or UGA. If there is info out there about how much a rival school is offering, post that along with how much more we need to beat it. If we don't raise enough money, or the guy just doesn't sign, you get your money back.

I don't like handing my money over blindly to let someone else decided how it gets spent, like some kind of voluntary tax. If I donated and they gave some of that money to Graham Mertz, I'm pissed. I want to pick who it goes to. And I don't want them to get it all at once, I want to dole it out based on performance. I don't want to pay the next 5* bust up front, while mails it in. And when someone out performs their recruit ranking, I want them to get rewarded real time as they are coming up.

Let fans have a vote (via their wallets) for the players they want to see recruited, and which current players they want to see coming back next year. You select the players you want to follow and get notifications for them only, or the whole team if you want. Players should know how many followers they have, and maybe an option to let them see your app profile in case they want to say thanks. Maybe all of the money and # of followers should be public. Guys get competitive, maybe it would light a fire under under performers. And if a guy is caught taking plays off or throws a shoe, he can watch his follower count and donations drop. Negative reinforcement.

It probably helps to throw in some sort of perks for the fans, to be determined. Something to keep people engaged. It needs to be entertaining for them, and confer some sort of status or bragging rights.

If you wanted to maximize the money and the platform's popularity, you would open it up to all schools and sports. Imagine fans of rival schools bidding up a player's NIL contract in real time. But we are supposed to be coming up with a way to get an edge here, and I'm not so sure we win if we do that.

Gamification of NIL is probably a bad idea, but no worse than what is going on currently. And to be honest, no worse than what was going on when it was all under the table with bag men, except that now that there is no need to be discrete, the cost has sky rocketed.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We should make an app that lets Gator fans push a button on their phone to donate money to a guys NIL fund every time they make a big play. Patent it so that other teams can't use it. Let the user decide the amount, but just a few bones per transaction could add up. Positive reinforcement.

Etienne busts an 80 yard TD run against UT, and .01% of Gator fans watching hit the button to send him an average of $10. I looked for some stats, and if accurate, we averaged like 2.1 million viewers per game in 2021. That would be like $2,100. Maybe the % of people donating wouldn't be that high, and maybe they would only donate $5 on average, but rivalry games would get better ratings, and emotions would be higher and wallets looser. And then there are fans at the game, or listening on the radio, etc. Hell, have the phone app send an notifications real time during games when someone makes a big play. Especially if it is a big momentum changer, or game clincher. So if someone is stuck at a wedding or something, they can still get in on it.

And when it comes time to make that push for NIL money to get a kid to commit or sign, the app should send a notification that we need to raise however much by some time or he might sign with FSU or UGA. If there is info out there about how much a rival school is offering, post that along with how much more we need to beat it. If we don't raise enough money, or the guy just doesn't sign, you get your money back.

I don't like handing my money over blindly to let someone else decided how it gets spent, like some kind of voluntary tax. If I donated and they gave some of that money to Graham Mertz, I'm pissed. I want to pick who it goes to. And I don't want them to get it all at once, I want to dole it out based on performance. I don't want to pay the next 5* bust up front, while mails it in. And when someone out performs their recruit ranking, I want them to get rewarded real time as they are coming up.

Let fans have a vote (via their wallets) for the players they want to see recruited, and which current players they want to see coming back next year. You select the players you want to follow and get notifications for them only, or the whole team if you want. Players should know how many followers they have, and maybe an option to let them see your app profile in case they want to say thanks. Maybe all of the money and # of followers should be public. Guys get competitive, maybe it would light a fire under under performers. And if a guy is caught taking plays off or throws a shoe, he can watch his follower count and donations drop. Negative reinforcement.

It probably helps to throw in some sort of perks for the fans, to be determined. Something to keep people engaged. It needs to be entertaining for them, and confer some sort of status or bragging rights.

If you wanted to maximize the money and the platform's popularity, you would open it up to all schools and sports. Imagine fans of rival schools bidding up a player's NIL contract in real time. But we are supposed to be coming up with a way to get an edge here, and I'm not so sure we win if we do that.

Gamification of NIL is probably a bad idea, but no worse than what is going on currently. And to be honest, no worse than what was going on when it was all under the table with bag men, except that now that there is no need to be discrete, the cost has sky rocketed.
not even gonna lie, i think the idea of a direct to individual athletes electronic cash app is freaking brilliant. i aint participating in it, but id imagine a lot of people would.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
not even gonna lie, i think the idea of a direct to individual athletes electronic cash app is freaking brilliant. i aint participating in it, but id imagine a lot of people would.
I like the idea, a lot. But I would be that even now as we know players are being paid, this would still fall under the old NCAA rules where we can't give a player money, cannot even buy a coke at a gas station, were we both there at the same time. Weird right? Maybe if the Collective created it those direct payments would be considered NIL donations?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Probably the most prudent course of action would be to post the idea in an internet forum before attempting to patent it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

I like the idea.

Fans are already paying to watch via consuming the crap offered during commercials ( so we are absorbing the advertising cost AND have to sit through the damned things).

So why not let fans reward directly. Bet there would be a lot fewer opt outs of bowl games. And FAN rivalries (even if the coaches and players treat each game the same now) would generate the most potential cash.

Make it real time ... add a digital bank in each players helmet.

Also should be able to send $$$ to units like the DL or OL.

Dreaming. :lol:

I put in a years donation to the collective. I just stopped it. F that. I don't want to finance women's underwater basket weaving or baseball or anything other than football. Even then, I just want MY money to go to the big uglies. That could buy them a meal a year.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I like the idea, a lot. But I would be that even now as we know players are being paid, this would still fall under the old NCAA rules where we can't give a player money, cannot even buy a coke at a gas station, were we both there at the same time. Weird right? Maybe if the Collective created it those direct payments would be considered NIL donations?
What if I’m exchange for your $ you got an NFT in exchange? The NFT could be pictures of the the player. Who cares if they’re worthless, right?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a great interview/perspective from a former Pell time player that's involved with the $$$ people at UF.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Can we make withdrawals if we think they suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.