Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
"much better team" is what tempers my optimism with the good>great recruiting. And yes, it does not help that it looked like our staff cannot coach during a game. But if that was a much better team, how far down are we?
How far down? Over a decade of mediocrity and back to back losing records. You do the math.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
How far down? Over a decade of mediocrity and back to back losing records. You do the math.
If you are talking about patience for Napier, you can’t use back to back losing records as an excuse for how far the program has fallen and how difficult the rebuild is for Napier when he owns one of those losing seasons. If we have another losing season next year does that mean we have to be extra patient because of what a shltshow he is trying to fix?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you are talking about patience for Napier, you can’t use back to back losing records as an excuse for how far the program has fallen and how difficult the rebuild is for Napier when he owns one of those losing seasons. If we have another losing season next year does that mean we have to be extra patient because of what a shltshow he is trying to fix?
He asked how far we’d fallen and I answered. You dreamed up the rest.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
They treat everything like they are a part of a multi-billion dollar business. They are very pro-active.

Seems like we're a decade behind even when we "catch up".

There's no reason to be behind on NIL except malaise.
Aned Florida laws are more restrictive than the non-existent Bama laws.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You've made it clear to everyone that the only victories you are looking for are moral victories, but let me dumb this down for you since you seem to have lost about 20 IQ points ever since you became the leading Pumptard. You can't lose your first 8 games against rivals at UF period. It's impossible to show whatever the fuk you consider "significant improvement" and lose 8 rivalry games in a row. 7-5 is more than 6-6 but loses to Utah, UToothless, LSU, the dwags and the nulls would absolutely have him squarely on the hotseat.
Go screw yourself and don't put words in my mouth. I'm already on record predicting at least 8 wins next year. Also, if you call me a "pumptard" again I'll ban your sorry California ass.

I'd tell you to hire a prostitute, but I don't think even they would be interested in being in your miserable company right now.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Go screw yourself and don't put words in my mouth. I'm already on record predicting at least 8 wins next year. Also, if you call me a "pumptard" again I'll ban your sorry California ass.

I'd tell you to hire a prostitute, but I don't think even they would be interested in being in your miserable company right now.
Harsh but funny as Hell

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

If I’m not mistaken you started the name calling. All I said was if the improvement over 6-6 was 7-5 with losses to everyone with a pulse, that would be seen as failure.

I actually agree with you that many of the perceived dumpers and pumpers aren’t so far apart in how they perceive the state of the program. Just as you aren’t convinced Napier is going to succeed in competing for championships, I’m not convinced he will fail. I’m actually happy with the recruiting class other than losing Rashada, which I don’t blame on Napier, and maybe missing a little on LB and OL. But he has worked the portal well, particularly OL.

I just find it bizarre to say he can crap the bed in his second year in the era of NIL and the portal and not see it as a red flag. I actually think it’s very possible we win 8 plus games next year, and really have no idea if Mertz can play better in a better situation. It’s just fun making fun of him.

And Pumptard was GC gold. If you want to ban me that’s up to you.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just find it bizarre to say he can crap the bed in his second year in the era of NIL and the portal and not see it as a red flag.
Who in the name of God said that? Certainly not me, and no one else I can think of. In fact, I said if there wasn't obvious improvement in year 2 it's a direct reflection on his coaching abilities. I would absolutely see it as a red flag.

You simply see wins and losses as the pure black and white correlation on the state of the team. With an established coach and team (like UGA), that's generally true. In UF's circumstances, it isn't. If the team showed obvious improvement from their often sloppy play in 2022 yet only went 7-5 because a couple of close losses to ranked teams, are you suggesting we should fire Napier at that point? Just keep the revolving door of coaches going every 2 to 4 years?

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Who in the name of God said that? Certainly not me, and no one else I can think of. In fact, I said if there wasn't obvious improvement in year 2 it's a direct reflection on his coaching abilities. I would absolutely see it as a red flag.

You simply see wins and losses as the pure black and white correlation on the state of the team. With an established coach and team (like UGA), that's generally true. In UF's circumstances, it isn't. If the team showed obvious improvement from their often sloppy play in 2022 yet only went 7-5 because a couple of close losses to ranked teams, are you suggesting we should fire Napier at that point? Just keep the revolving door of coaches going every 2 to 4 years?

What do we mean by “obvious improvement”? That’s such a subjective term.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What do we mean by “obvious improvement”? That’s such a subjective term.
You forgot to go off on a rant and call me a "pumptard".

We know how UF played last year, and I think we'll be able to recognize what substantial improvement is. Not sure why this concept seems to be so difficult.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
You forgot to go off on a rant and call me a "pumptard".

We know how UF played last year, and I think we'll be able to recognize what substantial improvement is. Not sure why this concept seems to be so difficult.

I thought your reply did enough on that. I couldn’t top the response.

It’s difficult because for over a decade these subjective terms have been used to move goalposts and tell us how if we just give Muschamp, Mac, Mullen, Mike White, time, good things will happen. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for people to use objective terms.

I’m for giving him time, but I’m not for doing the ignoring all faults or moving goalposts or using vague terms like “improvement” (which literally was what every person said to me when I asked what Mullen must do in 2022 when they were telling me that firing him in 2021 was impatient, stupid, he had us set up for success, etc.) I’m for data points, historical data, and ways we can measure success. I think he should at least get 2024.

However, i think if we have offense/defense struggles he must show the ability to make changes.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It depends on the goal. Is the goal/ has the goal been stated by UF or the athletic director? Have they said?...Our goal is an SEC Championship...Our goal is a National Championship. If so, then those would be the goals we can point to when making reference to wondering if we're making sufficient progress. If not, then any expectations I may have are just as good as any expectations you may have. "Obvious improvement" really is pretty subjective unless it's looked at in light of a stated goal. Even then we may not agree on how long it takes. It's why I usually stay out of these kinds of discussions.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It depends on the goal. Is the goal/ has the goal been stated by UF or the athletic director? Have they said?...Our goal is an SEC Championship...Our goal is a National Championship. If so, then those would be the goals we can point to when making reference to wondering if we're making sufficient progress. If not, then any expectations I may have are just as good as any expectations you may have. "Obvious improvement" really is pretty subjective unless it's looked at in light of a stated goal. Even then we may not agree on how long it takes. It's why I usually stay out of these kinds of discussions.

I am pretty sure that SS said at either the firing Mullen or hiring Billy presser the goal is to annually compete for SEC and National titles (Obviously, it takes some time to get there).

There are precedents, like every program since OU when Stoops took over (there were 11 regular season games until the mid-2000’s and outside of a 02/03 extra weekend which is why we added Miami those years), winning 10 games by Year 3 (including the “but Dabo” scenario). I’m talking about the ones who competed multiple times for national and conference titles, not lightning in a bottle, one season wonders like Auburn in 2010 or 2019 LSU.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced, because of our stringent requirements at UF, that we can hope for much more than the "lightning in a bottle" type championship run now and then that you discussed. I mean, I want to kick everybody's butt all the time, but I don't think we will. To me, these days, it's just not particularly realistic. I like and agree with what seems to be the foundation BN is putting down. I hope he can buy himself enough time by winning some big games. Some here seem to think he's a dunce but I don't get that at all. He may have to make some adjustments to his approach and I think that will be a big tell as to whether he sticks around and gets us far.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yo me, ga
It will be obvious when we see it... :grin:
For me, management and play calling/play readiness improvement are mandatory. If they cannot get their communication right, we will be faced with a staff that has some ongoing issues which are unattractive. Hopefully they make changes that work.

The slant they forced AR to make vs LSU was just embarrassing and I believe it was a pass he doesn’t make in practice so why dos they call it? Get some damn plays ready for down and distance. It was abysmal.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'm not convinced, because of our stringent requirements at UF, that we can hope for much more than the "lightning in a bottle" type championship run now and then that you discussed. I mean, I want to kick everybody's butt all the time, but I don't think we will. To me, these days, it's just not particularly realistic. I like and agree with what seems to be the foundation BN is putting down. I hope he can buy himself enough time by winning some big games. Some here seem to think he's a dunce but I don't get that at all. He may have to make some adjustments to his approach and I think that will be a big tell as to whether he sticks around and gets us far.

I’m not saying he’s a dunce (but some do). I will say the same concerns I had with him coming in seem to be things that were issues last year and unless I see those addressed (passing scheme, red zone offense, and one from last year, clock management), I do have concerns about his willingness to grow. I’d love to be wrong. He’s done a lot of good things off the field, but in the end, it’s on the field results that will matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator