NCAA announces all athletes can make money

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Go fuchs yourself with a geoduck.

You find the new rule that suddenly allows boosters to pay students.

I don't work for free.

Not sure I’ve seen this side of such an angry donkey. It will be ok. Thanks for the reminder that your a lawyer though.

You don’t have to do any more research (mostly because I’ve already fed you the answer). Don’t get so upset though.

upload_2021-7-6_23-31-49.jpeg

Here’s the bill. It’s a short read. It prohibits the schools and organizations like the UAA (or their employees, officers, etc) or local Gator clubs from paying NIL fees. It is wholly silent on boosters or individuals who support the school or athletic program (financially or otherwise)

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2020/7051/BillText/c2/PDF

Otherwise, to SoFla’s point about the Miami booster, lawyer and UM feeling so confident, it is because the Florida law is explicitly meant to protect the athlete from anyone restricting a NIL fee beyond that statute. Included is the following that casts teal doubt on the legitimacy of UF’s rules (and highlights the self inflicted limitation’s stupidity):

“A postsecondary educational institution may not adopt or maintain a contract, rule, regulation, standard, or other requirement that prevents or unduly restricts an intercollegiate athlete from earning compensation for the use of her or his name, image, likeness, or persona. Earning such compensation may not affect the intercollegiate athlete's grant-in-aid or athletic eligibility.”

I already posted the NCAA’s own link that says athletes can simply comply with their applicable state law. That’s it. No booster NIL limit except at UF.

To the donk:
Like an overconfident, client-less service partner who I’m feeding work down the hall, I wouldn’t rely on your research without double checking it anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys have spent page after page biiitching about the Supreme Court Opinion causing the world to end. I posted it and showed you that it didn't say what you think it said.

If you think that statute is clear then you need to get on the phone with UF and advise them they're breaking the Florida law.

Whether the Florida legislature can even do that, namely limit someone's ability to contract or associate, is of questionable validity, moreso I suppose with private institutions than public ones.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else of the mindset that having all these athletes ink merch and other promo deals will soon bring the realization that nobody really gives a **** about them aside from playing sports? I mean, if we’re being honest, who in their right mind is going to buy a ****ty shirt or pay for a cameo birthday shoutout? I have a feeling egos are going to come crashing down pretty quickly with 99% of these kids!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
False. Boosters can pay athletes if they own a business. Funny thing is many boosters own businesses. Perhaps that's why they have enough money to be boosters. See how this works.

Gym owner plan: $540K to Miami football players

"I'm not looking to profit from this," Lambert said. "I want to try to bring people together and make our team better. I've got too many Gator and Seminole friends that have been s----ing on me for the last 20 years. I want to reverse it."
I coulda sworn I had seen something about boosters, but all I can find now, including on the NCAA’s website is that boosters cannot use the payments as an inducement in recruiting and can’t “pay for performance.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I coulda sworn I had seen something about boosters, but all I can find now, including on the NCAA’s website is that boosters cannot use the payments as an inducement in recruiting and can’t “pay for performance.”
It is really weird that theybare changing positions and giving up more than the court decision required, they must have hired Kapernick to advise them on the way they are treating the athletes as slaves.

That being said they've been scared to death of litigation for a decade and fold immediately at any threat from an attorney.

But see... brownie sale. And also "GNC" boy. Come to think of it, I think we might be the only school that doesnt scare them in the slightest.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Anyone else of the mindset that having all these athletes ink merch and other promo deals will soon bring the realization that nobody really gives a **** about them aside from playing sports? I mean, if we’re being honest, who in their right mind is going to buy a ****ty shirt or pay for a cameo birthday shoutout? I have a feeling egos are going to come crashing down pretty quickly with 99% of these kids!

Outside of Rattler, I've never heard of half of those guys. Sevyn Banks is a would-be nephew of Costanza and I'm assuming this kid from Nebraska, Adrian Martinez, is the co-lead singer of 311.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of Rattler, I've never heard of half of those guys. Sevyn Banks is a would-be nephew of Costanza and I'm assuming this kid from Nebraska, Adrian Martinez, is the co-lead singer of 311.
Brining it back home, is there one player last year or this year you’d pay money to?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Brining it back home, is there one player last year or this year you’d pay money to?

Trask, Pitts, Elam and Toney.

I'd consider giving something to Davis, Wilson and Stiner to not play. Possibly Doge though.

And full disclosure, I saw 311 once, so throw Martinez in as well.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
People like to point the finger at Coaches, me included, but it looks to me the hole damn bunch at U.F. is infected with the dumb-ass.
Why would you limit boosters? Boosters have proved by being boosters that they are willing to pay for this type of over priced bull-chit. Why put your own school at a disadvantage in recruiting?
The S.E.C. needs to come out with a conference wide guideline that will give all schools equal footing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
People like to point the finger at Coaches, me included, but it looks to me the hole damn bunch at U.F. is infected with the dumb-ass.
Why would you limit boosters? Boosters have proved by being boosters that they are willing to pay for this type of over priced bull-chit. Why put your own school at a disadvantage in recruiting?
The S.E.C. needs to come out with a conference wide guideline that will give all schools equal footing.

We do it in a number of areas. There was a safety back in Urban's last class that we somehow felt wouldn't "qualify" despite having the grades and scores. We kept on initiating weed tests on guys like Hernandez and Harvin of our own volition, knowing the result beforehand. Pretty sure we still have some math course requirement that prevents us from landing more JuCo's, or at a minimum delays their enrollment. The list goes on. A conference rule means nothing to us. Schools can choose to make their lives harder if they want to. We apparently want to.

All that said, we still cannot prevent boosters from getting creative and paying recruits or players. There is no way they can stop it, unless they're going to turn on their own and purposely try to link the two parties. This is just posturing by UF because the current admin wants to remind everyone that they're so much better than you and everyone else.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We do it in a number of areas. There was a safety back in Urban's last class that we somehow felt wouldn't "qualify" despite having the grades and scores. We kept on initiating weed tests on guys like Hernandez and Harvin of our own volition, knowing the result beforehand. Pretty sure we still have some math course requirement that prevents us from landing more JuCo's, or at a minimum delays their enrollment. The list goes on. A conference rule means nothing to us. Schools can choose to make their lives harder if they want to. We apparently want to.

All that said, we still cannot prevent boosters from getting creative and paying recruits or players. There is no way they can stop it, unless they're going to turn on their own and purposely try to link the two parties. This is just posturing by UF because the current admin wants to remind everyone that they're so much better than you and everyone else.

Yeah, but let me introduce you to Tracey Morgan. He can talk to you about the difference between Certain and Pretty Sure. I think recruits will go with certain every time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is a broken program.

Pissed me off at the time but.... he was right. Completely right.

Broken all the way to the top. And especially at the top.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Why put your own school at a disadvantage in recruiting?

A conference rule means nothing to us. Schools can choose to make their lives harder if they want to. We apparently want to.

This is just posturing by UF because the current admin wants to remind everyone that they're so much better than you and everyone else.

SoFla nailed it. We actually benefit from one of the better state laws that tries to tie the school's hands from these type of limitations and UF just can't help itself from hurting itself. "Broken" is again right.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, this is no doubt going to turn into a total sht show. But at least it's better than the old system:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Slaves made that chicken!!! No whiteman knows about 11 herbs and spices!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator