Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Arkansas***

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This phenomenon of Gator fans absolutely flipping out whenever a noon game is announced seems fairly new - I don't remember all the pearl clutching and hand-wringing over it in years past, at least to the extent of making death threats to the AD.

I guess noon games don't enrage me like they do you. They matter more the first couple of weeks of the season in the extreme heat, but not now.

Arkansas sucks balls. Our Gators will beat them even if they run out there naked.

You're completely ignoring the actual point.

FL announced this would be the "blackout" game months ago...then spent considerable effort marketing the event in social media posts hyping the jerseys, advertising it extensively so it could be a sellout, then more marketing encouraging the fans to wear black, etc.

At that point, a competent Athletic Department/Athletic Director uses their influence to ensure it's a night game. Not because noon games in Gainesville suck (though they do) but because the program invested a lot of time and energy into this already and the entire concept of a "blackout" game works best at night.

When the competition for a night slot is Vandy-Auburn (in Nashville) and Miss State-Kentucky (in Starkville), this shouldn't be a difficult task whatsoever. Florida routinely ranks as one of the top 15 most-watched programs on tv year in, year out.

Of course, we should beat Arkansas even if the temperatures zoom into the 90s and we're wearing black. But the fact we're playing at noon instead of a later time slot tells me that Stricklin didn't get off his azz and called the league months ago to lobby for a night game. Let's face it: if any one of our rivals attempted a "blackout" game, advertised and marketed it for the better part of a year...and landed on a noon time slot, you'd be the very first laughing at their expense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face it: if any one of our rivals attempted a "blackout" game, advertised and marketed it for the better part of a year...and landed on a noon time slot, you'd be the very first laughing at their expense.
I would? Dude, I don't GAF what time games are played, I really don't. I think the best general slot is 3:30, and I often prefer a noon game than a night game. I wouldn't even freaking notice what our rivals were doing in terms of time slots. I also don't necessarily agree that the black uniforms are better at night - I think they could look pretty cool in the daylight.

I can assure you that not one single person on the planet, NOT ONE, cares about this other than you. NOT ONE.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You're completely ignoring the actual point.

FL announced this would be the "blackout" game months ago...then spent considerable effort marketing the event in social media posts hyping the jerseys, advertising it extensively so it could be a sellout, then more marketing encouraging the fans to wear black, etc.

At that point, a competent Athletic Department/Athletic Director uses their influence to ensure it's a night game. Not because noon games in Gainesville suck (though they do) but because the program invested a lot of time and energy into this already and the entire concept of a "blackout" game works best at night.

When the competition for a night slot is Vandy-Auburn (in Nashville) and Miss State-Kentucky (in Starkville), this shouldn't be a difficult task whatsoever. Florida routinely ranks as one of the top 15 most-watched programs on tv year in, year out.

Of course, we should beat Arkansas even if the temperatures zoom into the 90s and we're wearing black. But the fact we're playing at noon instead of a later time slot tells me that Stricklin didn't get off his azz and called the league months ago to lobby for a night game. Let's face it: if any one of our rivals attempted a "blackout" game, advertised and marketed it for the better part of a year...and landed on a noon time slot, you'd be the very first laughing at their expense.
The entire Top 25 is playing. There are 3 (I think) Top 25 match ups. We are unranked playing a 2 win team that just fired their OC. Networks are betting that we lose to Georgia. We're lucky we got ESPN2 at noon.

Will be at the game in a black shirt... It's November. As of right now, it's a scheduled high of 74 degrees... ain't nobody gon' be hot.

Also, as of right now, of all the matchups listed that day, our lowest ticket price available is in the top 7 (it's family weekend) in the country.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This phenomenon of Gator fans absolutely flipping out whenever a noon game is announced seems fairly new - I don't remember all the pearl clutching and hand-wringing over it in years past, at least to the extent of making death threats to the AD.
Historically we play like sh!t in noon games. Just like I pointed out before UK....

More importantly though it doesn't give me time to finish catching up at the office, get my feast ready, buy enough beer, and consume most of it before the game starts....ever try choking down 3-4# of pulled pork, a small sheet pan of jalapeño cornbread and 2 quarts of baked beans before noon?

Then god forbid we sh!t the bed and lose(in black uni's to boot).....then you get the joy of watching the highlights 350X during the rest of the day while you're trying to forget about it and watch other games. It's basically un American and should never happen.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Historically we play like sh!t in noon games. Just like I pointed out before UK....

More importantly though it doesn't give me time to finish catching up at the office, get my feast ready, buy enough beer, and consume most of it before the game starts....ever try choking down 3-4# of pulled pork, a small sheet pan of jalapeño cornbread and 2 quarts of baked beans before noon?

Then god forbid we sh!t the bed and lose(in black uni's to boot).....then you get the joy of watching the highlights 350X during the rest of the day while you're trying to forget about it and watch other games. It's basically un American and should never happen.
I can't argue with any of that...

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I’ll never forget after the 2001 game vs the #14 Cocks, where they tried a blackout at night and we lit them up 54-17.

“Florida Coach Steve Spurrier chuckled at the sight. “One of our receivers said, ‘Coach, it was nice of them to wear all black so we can pick the ball out of the sky,”’ he said.”

Remind me why we would want to do a blackout at all, especially at night?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The entire Top 25 is playing. There are 3 (I think) Top 25 match ups. We are unranked playing a 2 win team that just fired their OC. Networks are betting that we lose to Georgia. We're lucky we got ESPN2 at noon.

Will be at the game in a black shirt... It's November. As of right now, it's a scheduled high of 74 degrees... ain't nobody gon' be hot.

Also, as of right now, of all the matchups listed that day, our lowest ticket price available is in the top 7 (it's family weekend) in the country.

I'll be there as well; and while there are a number of clearly better games out there that day; I'm not expecting CBS to put us on over Bama-LSU...but is it really asking too much to put us in an evening time slot over a (winless in conference) Vandy or a (1 win) Miss State...both teams facing off against unranked opposition as well?

SECN has both of those conference tie-ins and you'd think that a functioning Athletic Dept that's using this as a marketing and PR ploy would have let it be known that we need a night slot for this game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't the first time we played in black unis. This is horse****. Hopefully they look freakin blacker at noon

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We can wear pink glitter frosted g-strings if it guarantees beating the fking leg humpers.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not too worried about it. Noon games really only concern me if we're on the road or it's September at the Swamp. Sure, it would have been cool for the game to be at night. Weather should really be great. I was actually hoping for 5-6ish kickoff. It will be cool either way and looking forward to making the trip down to see this one.

If UF is that upset about it, then wear them again next season and try again. IF, they were pitching this to the conference/BSPN it's a pretty hard sell with Pittman and the current Arky situation. He more than likely will be the next coach fired. The only thing left is for Mowins to get the play by play and we'll get a shytty officiating crew rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.