***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs. Georgia***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I will like it if our defense comes out in a true 3-4 and we dare their B level receivers to beat us in press, while using Burney on the TE. I might laugh at the consistency, without liking it a bit, if we get gashed up the middle on runs.

Statistically, we are one of the worst SEC teams in run defense between the tackles (injury impact is our hope, if not serious belief). The missed tackles have been an issue, but so has been getting blown off the ball by the tackles (size issue I know, but Slaton also allows himself to be turned sideways way too easily for a guy his size), while Houston or Miller get stuck in the DL's ass by aimlessly drifting forward without filling a gap. Houston and Miller vs Swift is very concerning.

I don't have false expectations, but I'd love to see this 3-4 getting most snaps: Zuniga as WDE, Campbell or Slaton at NT, and Campbell /Conliffe/Carter at SDE with Greenard (Buck), Reese, Houston, and Burney as our front 7. Then, just be sure we use Stewart and Davis at least 2/3 of the time. It will be interesting to see if we use Dean at Safety, but I doubt we will.

I'm not a fan of the recent move though of Marco at Star. He is just not too small and is one of our tacklers with no arms for a guy playing in the box. I'd rather see Elam there.

Unfortunately, the depth chart looks the same as always with Taylor and Stiner listed at the top (with an "or" but still) and Dean at Star as our base package.

EDIT: For the first time in years, I'm not too worried that our offense will put up points. We have had far too many turnovers (lots of fumbles versus peer rate) that I hope we limit to 1 or less Saturday.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I will like it if our defense comes out in a true 3-4 and we dare their B level receivers to beat us in press, while using Burney on the TE. I might laugh at the consistency, without liking it a bit, if we get gashed up the middle on runs.

Statistically, we are one of the worst SEC teams in run defense between the tackles (injury impact is our hope, if not serious belief). The missed tackles have been an issue, but so has been getting blown off the ball by the tackles (size issue I know, but Slaton also allows himself to be turned sideways way too easily for a guy his size), while Houston or Miller get stuck in the DL's ass by aimlessly drifting forward without filling a gap. Houston and Miller vs Swift is very concerning.

I don't have false expectations, but I'd love to see this 3-4 getting most snaps: Zuniga as WDE, Campbell or Slaton at NT, and Campbell /Conliffe/Carter at SDE with Greenard (Buck), Reese, Houston, and Burney as our front 7. Then, just be sure we use Stewart and Davis at least 2/3 of the time. It will be interesting to see if we use Dean at Safety, but I doubt we will.

I'm not a fan of the recent move though of Marco at Star. He is just not too small and is one of our tacklers with no arms for a guy playing in the box. I'd rather see Elam there.

Unfortunately, the depth chart looks the same as always with Taylor and Stiner listed at the top (with an "or" but still) and Dean at Star as our base package.

EDIT: For the first time in years, I'm not too worried that our offense will put up points. We have had far too many turnovers (lots of fumbles versus peer rate) that I hope we limit to 1 or less Saturday.

Good thoughts....btw, Conliffe is out for the year, so we won't be seeing him this weekend.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
If Conliffe is forced into playing time we are fcked, he was injured and ruled out for the year before the season started.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Agree with this. It' simply the best way to limit our opponents strength. While also helping an area in need of support on our end.
I believe you'll see Moon as the sam (he's really the one true same we have though I think Little Reese and Diabete can do the job), and Greenard at buck. I get the feeling Zuniga will be limited rep wise , but I sure hope i'm wrong. As a result we are likely to see a down three of Campbell at nose, Shuler at tackle and Ancrum at end. Carter should be playing over Ancrum, but he seems to be sent in off the bench in lieu of Ancrum for reasons that don't make sense. Then of course DR and Miller at ILB. The only real downside to this is it means we'll be almost exclusively zone against a 3 receiver set. I'd like to see Burney play more at the star when we pull the sam out of the game.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a fan of the recent move though of Marco at Star. He is just not too small and is one of our tacklers with no arms for a guy playing in the box.
giphy.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That was the last time the play was called. Was that 4-5 games ago? We should be doing it at least once per quarter... and faking it 2-3 times... almost as if we run an option offense.
Well I mean the reason it worked so well against UK is because their entire defense was stacked in the box. Jet sweeps in general aren't successful plays against standard defensive alignments. They are great as a surprise in short yardage situations, though.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
For the record, I have no confirmation of this or inside info. So take this fwiw. But I have a sneaking suspicion that our friend Sec14Gator is hammered today.

Perhaps true, though I'm still billing the same hourly rate. But, regardless of the "no arms" comment regarding our DB tacklers, I have heard that even as of Tuesday, while Toney was practicing, he was still not in pads. I won't do source vouching since none of you know me, much less the source, so it is worthless. I just wouldn't get our hopes up to see much of KT.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well I mean the reason it worked so well against UK is because their entire defense was stacked in the box. Jet sweeps in general aren't successful plays against standard defensive alignments. They are great as a surprise in short yardage situations, though.
Someone here posted that play in a thread, as viewed from the angle looking downfield, and you could clearly see that almost all of the UK defenders had no idea Hammond had the ball. To a man they were all still watching Trask and Perine (or Pierce?). Krull and Pitts were the only ones who actually had to block anyone, and neither of their blocks were very good - well Krull for sure, I'd have to look again at Pitts. By the time the bulk of the defenders realized what had happened, Josh was in the open field. Surprise, a perfectly timed handoff, and Trask's carrying out of the fake were why the play worked.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Someone here posted that play in a thread, as viewed from the angle looking downfield, and you could clearly see that almost all of the UK defenders had no idea Hammond had the ball. To a man they were all still watching Trask and Perine (or Pierce?). Krull and Pitts were the only ones who actually had to block anyone, and neither of their blocks were very good - well Krull for sure, I'd have to look again at Pitts. By the time the bulk of the defenders realized what had happened, Josh was in the open field. Surprise, a perfectly timed handoff, and Trask's carrying out of the fake were why the play worked.
That was basically the same thing that happened on Callaway's play against UGA. It's great when done at the right time, but the right time doesn't happen that often.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Perhaps true, though I'm still billing the same hourly rate. But, regardless of the "no arms" comment regarding our DB tacklers, I have heard that even as of Tuesday, while Toney was practicing, he was still not in pads. I won't do source vouching since none of you know me, much less the source, so it is worthless. I just wouldn't get our hopes up to see much of KT.

Well that’s not good news. And you do always seem to have reliable info so it sounds like we won’t be seeing him as much as expected.

To be honest, I liked you better when you were drunk and talking about Conliffe’s appearing to have lost a step.:lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That was basically the same thing that happened on Callaway's play against UGA. It's great when done at the right time, but the right time doesn't happen that often.

Of course if you’re Lsu and going against McElwain and Shannon, you can run it 20-25 times in a game and find success.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've been skeptical about Toney's return and how effective he'll be ever since he was still in an immobilizer during the Auburn game. That's a REALLY quick turn around for someone to be in a shoulder immobilizer at the beginning of the month, and to be playing UGA's defense at the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.