Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
And when are we going to EVER out recruit UGA or Bama with their current staffs? At best we might get even with them. Then CBN will have to out coach someone. I don't see any evidence from any of his coaching stops that he is remotely capable of that.

Go ahead and point me to one game he has out coached the opposition with equal talent. I'll hang up and listen!
Georgia fans were saying the same thing about Kirby early in his tenure

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I couldn’t watch any longer. We left at the end of 3 rd quarter. That was the worst performance vs Ga I’ve seen. What was that stupid 4th down play just line up and get an inch, jump over the top don’t hike it backwards 5 yards to get 1 inch lost any momentum we had.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It's clear Napier decided on an aggressive game plan to try and catch them off guard and see how they reacted. It worked for awhile, but Georgia is Georgia. That's an awfully deep and talented roster. You gotta hang with them for four quarters. Nobody has in a long time.

Barn almost beat them this year and OSU and Mizzou should’ve beat them last year. Maybe they were caught off guard in those games or took those teams lightly, but they have been in losable games, just been able to escape. They do seem to be hitting their stride though.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Georgia fans were saying the same thing about Kirby early in his tenure
Then is your opinion is that CBN is going to either out recruit Kirby and Saban so he can win due to superior talent (his only prior proven successful strategy) or he is going to recruit at their level and out coach them?

I think he can close the recruiting gap, but he is not a competent enough coach to win a game making good game time decisions.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Then is your opinion is that CBN is going to either out recruit Kirby and Saban so he can win due to superior talent (his only prior proven successful strategy) or he is going to recruit at their level and out coach them?

I think he can close the recruiting gap, but he is not a competent enough coach to win a game making good game time decisions.
People also said the exact same thing about Kirby. We ridiculed him over it while pumping up how smart Mullen was.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Ive seen worse.

I was there, sitting on the Ga side, when we lost 44-0.

I ran out of liquor in the 3rd quarter.

Then I missed my ride and had to walk home, over the Mathews bridge to Arlington.

And it was windy and cold.

Fuch UGa.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn’t watch any longer. We left at the end of 3 rd quarter. That was the worst performance vs Ga I’ve seen. What was that stupid 4th down play just line up and get an inch, jump over the top don’t hike it backwards 5 yards to get 1 inch lost any momentum we had.
One play didn't lose this game!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If we swap our offensive and defensive lines with UGAs the score is flipped. It’s the lack of elite talent in the trenches is the only reason this game went sideways fast. All the other bellyaching is nonsense.

Now if you want to knock Billy for not recruiting elite OL I am right there with you. We need more talent.
No question our O-Line is horrendous but I think just saying swapping players and the score is flipped is just plain silly in my opinion. Spmeone mentioned earlier, that UGA plays assignment football which is 100% correct. They are almost never out of position especially on defense. As bad are the 4th down pass by ETN call was, UGA played their assignments and our 2 short pass routes were smothered. Conversely our D is out of position constantly whether it be Gap control, or poor technique in coverage like on the TD pass where #8 played inside leverage but had help inside from #23. what happened? TD pass to the corner of endzone? does not matter the coach does not matter the players. It is the uniform. Whoever wears it will be out of position on D. The secondary is just awful. We get no sacks or TO's. No sacks even when blitzing so why blitz at all? I truly wonder if Kirby Smart could coach the UF D to be assignment oriented? I doubt it. I think swapping players, and the game would have been a nail biter. I just see no evidence that Sling Blade could even elevate the so called elite talent. And please spare me the we are young excuse. Every single team plays very young players every week, including the very best teams. Assignments are assignments and if you can coach you can teach them to any aged player.

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Napier will either get a great O co-ordinator and D co-ordinator or lose his 7 Mil job. He cannot coach against anything higher than high-school level, he's made that painfully evident. This will happen next year after we suffer thru another embarrassing year

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
People also said the exact same thing about Kirby. We ridiculed him over it while pumping up how smart Mullen was.
"We" didn't. You might have, but I didn't.

I still don't think Kirby is an exceptionally sharp coach, but he doesn't lose games with incompetent play calling when facing teams of even talent.

Also, Kirby didn't have a track record as a head coach that screamed that he was a questionable in game coach with an antiquated offensive system.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

We should wait and see.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
We should wait and see.
We are going to have to. In spite of the evidence that should have precluded his hiring, we are stuck with him unless he makes some pro-Hamas statements BTW, not being political...I just think Sasse would have him canned for that...not sure what else...maybe fake death threats).

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
No question our O-Line is horrendous but I think just saying swapping players and the score is flipped is just plain silly in my opinion. Spmeone mentioned earlier, that UGA plays assignment football which is 100% correct. They are almost never out of position especially on defense. As bad are the 4th down pass by ETN call was, UGA played their assignments and our 2 short pass routes were smothered. Conversely our D is out of position constantly whether it be Gap control, or poor technique in coverage like on the TD pass where #8 played inside leverage but had help inside from #23. what happened? TD pass to the corner of endzone? does not matter the coach does not matter the players. It is the uniform. Whoever wears it will be out of position on D. The secondary is just awful. We get no sacks or TO's. No sacks even when blitzing so why blitz at all? I truly wonder if Kirby Smart could coach the UF D to be assignment oriented? I doubt it. I think swapping players, and the game would have been a nail biter. I just see no evidence that Sling Blade could even elevate the so called elite talent. And please spare me the we are young excuse. Every single team plays very young players every week, including the very best teams. Assignments are assignments and if you can coach you can teach them to any aged player.
No I'm not going to spare you the youth excuse, yes all teams play young players, but we are primarily young players. UGA has a defensive guru as its head coach with another one (muschamp) as co-defensive coordinator. We have a 30 year old learning the ropes. And yes, swapping O lines would have made all the difference in the world. Beck had ALL DAY in the pocket and could leisurely wait for recievers to come open. Mertz didn't have that luxury.

I'm not happy at all about it, but getting bent out of shape when you know what the outcome will likely be is insane. They have years of stacked top recruiting classes and we don't. Thats it in a nutshell.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Game sort of reminded me of that one SEC champ game we played Bama under Mac, where we went right down the field opening drive and scored, then proceeded to turn the ball over a few times and the blowout was on by halftime. Even before the "4th and Dumb" call by Napier, I thought that first reverse he called to Pearsall was really where the offensive momentum that we seemed to have early, died. The guy just seems to have a knack for these drive killing calls, why call a reverse into the short side of the field when we're seeming to have success with 2 and 7 running the ball. George on the o-line was horrible, but no one was really good in pass protection. I think they said on the radio that Ugay only had 12 sacks coming into the game and got 4 in the 1st half. No doubt we need to recruit better, but we need to be hitting the portal hard this offseason to address this area. Unfortunately for the defense, outside of Arkansas, they're likely getting lit up in the other three games bad. Got to find a way to beat a reeling Arky team next week, probably gonna be nasty to finish to the year.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
No I'm not going to spare you the youth excuse, yes all teams play young players, but we are primarily young players. UGA has a defensive guru as its head coach with another one (muschamp) as co-defensive coordinator. We have a 30 year old learning the ropes. And yes, swapping O lines would have made all the difference in the world. Beck had ALL DAY in the pocket and could leisurely wait for recievers to come open. Mertz didn't have that luxury.

I'm not happy at all about it, but getting bent out of shape when you know what the outcome will likely be is insane. They have years of stacked top recruiting classes and we don't. Thats it in a nutshell.
We can agree to disagree on a few things. No one is getting bent out of shape. Outcome was known, our process was again subpar. You do not 'learn the ropes" as a HC or an OC or DC. You either have it or you do not. And all those stacked classes or recruits also have to be coached do they not? You are saying that Fred Mertz is constantly under pressure every week b/c we have no talent "only" on the O-Line. That our not 1 but TWO O-Line coaches are doing a great job? Perhaps UGA could wait all day b/c the O-Line is also well coached and they have passing route schemes that cause our "young" but obviously well coached secondary to get confused? I just find it interesting that many of the players we have out recruited some of the same schools who sit at the top of the rankings for, would not have turned at least some of them into more productive players by now.

ted

Aug 24, 2019

To your point, since 2018, UF has not finished higher than 9 with most classes outside the top 13. Georgia has 3 #1 rated classes with no class rated lower than 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator