Recruiting Official Recruiting Thread for the stretch run #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2014
GatorStompin';n165729 said:
So, a brand new staff, inheriting a team that has done nothing on offense for several seasons (despite tirelessly promising to "get it fixed"), and has probably been the least entertaining elite team to watch, is just supposed to convince, not show but convince, a bunch of 4 and 5-star "Kearse's" that they will fix everything. And we shouldn't take project players, because we need the best or nothing at all. Hmm...

Easier said than done. And considering the lack of development that's gone on around here the past couple years, I look forward to Mac and staff taking on a few projects and turning them into solid contributors. The true test of a great coach.

I stand by what I've said many times, this staff is going to have to prove it in the orange and blue before we can EXPECT the elite talent again. Until then, I'll praise the diamonds in the rough and look forward to seeing what they do with them.

Why "praise" the recruits? You don't know that they are "diamonds" at all. That's the point. They are projects. Projects often don't pan out. It's more unlikely to pan out with a lack of a supporting cast. I don't think Mac and staff have the ability to land four or five star recruits right now. Because we're behind the eight ball doesn't mean you have to "praise" anything.

Dec 10, 2014
t-gator;n165741 said:
Honestly what do expect out of this class? And one class doesn't break a program especially if it keeps your numbers up.

Uh. I didn't expect much. I never said I did. I'm just not going to delude myself. One class certainly doesn't break a program but it sets it back a couple years.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Byron Cowart - Last post i loved the recruiting process and i love all my fans thanks for your support… instagram.com/p/ymeTYSoKly/

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cecejeferson7: S/O to my lil brudda @Famousscarlett on the decision today,goodluck wherever you pick big dawg!

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
How Mac reports his class to media and fans will tell us a lot about what we can expect from this regime in the future.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
fetch

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n165705 said:
You're correct. I didn't write that post very well. I was more meaning to say that he didn't become the Kearse that everybody claimed he would be. He was a solid contributor during his senior season and was a 7th round draft pick and journeyman in the NFL. I stand by the point that a project athlete is nothing to be excited about. Project athletes are great for teams that can afford to take chances. We're not in that position. Spurrier was with McCray.

So you attempt to make a point based on a totally flawed analogy of a player with a 7 year NFL career but then qualify it based on some made up statement about how he was supposed to be the next Kearse. Gotta' give you props for your sticktoitiveness, :lol:

I don't think we have the luxury to turn down anyone who has a pulse right about now. We need numbers, period.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We find out about 3 guys tonight; Scarlett, Chris Williamson and GG Robinson. Scarlett to us would be HUGE and could signify the start of this miraculous and historical close every Gator fan is hoping for. Williamson and GG would be awesome additions too.

Edit: CB Rashad Fenton also commits today. That's 4 guys we're firmly in on committing today.

ShadowGator

Broken
Oct 24, 2014
The Original DC;n165791 said:
We find out about 3 guys tonight; Scarlett, Chris Williamson and GG Robinson. Scarlett to us would be HUGE and could signify the start of this miraculous and historical close every Gator fan is hoping for. Williamson and GG would be awesome additions too.

Agreed. Scarlett coming will add justification for others to believe UF may finally commit to having an Offense again. That helps bring in receivers as well, and perhaps aleviates some Auburn talk about Florida not being competitive for SEC titles anytime soon, so Cowart and Jefferson may like to see Scarlett commit as well.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n165780 said:
So you attempt to make a point based on a totally flawed analogy of a player with a 7 year NFL career but then qualify it based on some made up statement about how he was supposed to be the next Kearse. Gotta' give you props for your sticktoitiveness, :lol:

I don't think we have the luxury to turn down anyone who has a pulse right about now. We need numbers, period.

Has nothing to do with how this dialogue started and is not consistent with anything I've written. I questioned why the original poster felt the need to be excited by lackluster news and recruits that probably won't pan out. So for all the posters that have followed that have put words in my threads that I have never stood behind, 1). I don't expect 4-5 star recruits, 2). I don't expect a great class, 3). I don't think people should be negative about what is coming, 4). I don't see the need to be unquestionably happy with players that are sub par compared to what our opponents are getting.

My analogy is not flawed. It's an example of a player who did not meet expectations. My analogy is further bolstered by the fact that McCray was a Spurrier recruit who was surrounded by a supporting cast that enabled him to get the most of out his training and experience at UF. These recruits will not have that luxury.

Next

Dec 10, 2014
The Original DC;n165791 said:

Who do you think is the most important out of those three? People keep saying Scarlett, but we seem pretty solid at RB for at least this year. If Georgia can always find a freshman RB that is ready to play, I think we can too so RB may be a "next year" need. I have always had a lot of faith in Lane. I think Taylor may stick around as a senior too. But if out of the three he started a waterfall, then he'd be the one I'd choose I guess.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n165805 said:
Has nothing to do with how this dialogue started and is not consistent with anything I've written. I questioned why the original poster felt the need to be excited by lackluster news and recruits that probably won't pan out. So for all the posters that have followed that have put words in my threads that I have never stood behind, 1). I don't expect 4-5 star recruits, 2). I don't expect a great class, 3). I don't think people should be negative about what is coming, 4). I don't see the need to be unquestionably happy with players that are sub par compared to what our opponents are getting.

My analogy is not flawed. It's an example of a player who did not meet expectations. My analogy is further bolstered by the fact that McCray was a Spurrier recruit who was surrounded by a supporting cast that enabled him to get the most of out his training and experience at UF. These recruits will not have that luxury.

Next

Like a pitbull, this guy. Goin' down blazin'. :lol:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
DevoGator;n165771 said:
How Mac reports his class to media and fans will tell us a lot about what we can expect from this regime in the future.

What do you mean by that?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Another site claimed we had only 56 scholarship players returning.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n165809 said:
Who do you think is the most important out of those three? People keep saying Scarlett, but we seem pretty solid at RB for at least this year. If Georgia can always find a freshman RB that is ready to play, I think we can too so RB may be a "next year" need. I have always had a lot of faith in Lane. I think Taylor may stick around as a senior too. But if out of the three he started a waterfall, then he'd be the one I'd choose I guess.

Order of importance on the 4 guys committing today:

Scarlett
Williamson
Fenton
GG Robinson

But I'll take all of them. I subscribe to the Saban/Meyer philosophy in recruiting; greed is good, be greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator