OSU crushes Michigan like bugs, ending playoff hopes

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Absolutely. Any conference champ deserves a playoff spot. By being champs of the conference they are de facto king of that conference. If they don't deserve a spot than it goes without saying that none of their lesser thans in the conference deserves one either.

An objective playoff system doesn't discriminate against a team based off their overall record. It only rewards teams based off what they accomplished. Any coach or player will take a conference championship over a 11-1 record with nothing to show for it. If not, I would question their goals and motivation at the beginning of the year.
Actually the record takes care of itself because the conference champions have to win their division to play for the conference. So maybe they don't have the best record in FBS, or even in their conference overall, but they should have the best record in conference games in their division (tiebreakers included). I think they should align to 8 conferences and let the conference champs (only) into the 8-team playoff. It really would be a 16-team playoff if you count the conference championships. They could even do like the British Premier League and move teams between the levels of college football based on their accomplishments. Then teams like UCF would get to play with the big boys.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I tend to agree with this. Yes, an 8-4 Northwestern team that wins the conference championship should get in over an Alabama team that loses in the SECCG. You want a shot, you have to start by winning your conference.

That would literally kill ratings. If there were a ton of undefeated teams waiting at the 5-spot, then yes, by all means out them in. But as it is, if the objective is to put the best 4 teams, you can't have the automatic qualifier. No one wants to see Clemson vs NW, and even fewer want to see a 4-5 loss NC.

There's really no need to change anything. It's worked really well so far.

And considering we've already seen 5 or 6 complete blowout losses in the first 4 playoff years, we don't need to expand either. Four teams is enough. Ideally 4 conference winners. But not set in stone.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That would literally kill ratings. If there were a ton of undefeated teams waiting at the 5-spot, then yes, by all means out them in. But as it is, if the objective is to put the best 4 teams, you can't have the automatic qualifier. No one wants to see Clemson vs NW, and even fewer want to see a 4-5 loss NC.

There's really no need to change anything. It's worked really well so far.

And considering we've already seen 5 or 6 complete blowout losses in the first 4 playoff years, we don't need to expand either. Four teams is enough. Ideally 4 conference winners. But not set in stone.
This X1000...Anyone with a lick of sense and even beginner level CFB knowledge knows that there are never more than 3 or maybe 4 teams at the very most that have a legitimate shot at being a NC....Hell the BCS never got it wrong.

Let's not water down CFB to the point of NCAA basketball or even NFL....If anything add another regular season game and make all Power 5 schools play at least 11 Power 5 conference games including their conference games, then have the CCG's and 4 team playoff....

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
To me, it’s literally illegal that UCF does not get a chance.

There is big money for the schools to get in the playoffs. If a school goes undefeated 2 years in a row and still can’t get in, doesn’t it violate some sort of anti-trust or collusion laws.

The counter is UCF needs to play better teams, but when 90% of their schedule is predetermined, it’s not possible.

I’m far from an anti-trust attorney, but if the smalls are locked out from revenue, there may be some merit to a law suit.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

There is big money for the schools to get in the playoffs. If a school goes undefeated 2 years in a row and still can’t get in, doesn’t it violate some sort of anti-trust or collusion laws.

The counter is UCF needs to play better teams, but when 90% of their schedule is predetermined, it’s not possible.

I’m far from an anti-trust attorney, but if the smalls are locked out from revenue, there may be some merit to a law suit.

It seems that you literally have no statute to quote...just a figurative axe to grind.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

It's only criminal if they dont get in and they are actually one of the top 4 teams. Do you actually think they are top 4?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Screw UCF, they are probably not one of the top four teams, but if they literally have no chance of getting in, and the money associated with getting in, it could be collusion by the P5 to keep the smalls out.

I’m not saying it is illegal, but it could be.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

They had a chance, they could have scheduled say Georgia or Bama, but then they would be the wimps.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This X1000...Anyone with a lick of sense and even beginner level CFB knowledge knows that there are never more than 3 or maybe 4 teams at the very most that have a legitimate shot at being a NC....Hell the BCS never got it wrong.

Let's not water down CFB to the point of NCAA basketball or even NFL....If anything add another regular season game and make all Power 5 schools play at least 11 Power 5 conference games including their conference games, then have the CCG's and 4 team playoff....

Not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but a few months back someone made the suggestion to go back to the BCS formula, just using it to settle the 4 playoff teams. And that was their argument. The BCS didn't typically put the wrong teams in per se. There was just always a question about whether or not the 3rd and 4th ranked teams were just as good and deserved a shot.(miami/fsu in 2000, Ou/texas '08, etc.)

To your last point, about watering things down, think about the intrigue of this weekend. If you had teams that didn't absolutely need to win, just to be in the discussion, to that would be terrible. I like it the way it is. Anyone complaining about not getting a chance is absurd. They've had 12 chances. If they're left out, that's on them.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
They had a chance, they could have scheduled say Georgia or Bama, but then they would be the wimps.
If Georgia and Bama don’t want to play them, then what.

Teams don’t want to play a UCF. Real chance of losing, with nothing to really gain by winning.

If you go out of conference, a P5 will usually schedule The Citadel or a team which would be a great victory, like Bama.

Not saying it’s illegal, but if you win 25 in a row and are still not eligible something is off.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
They had a chance to join the ACC about 4 or 5 years(?)back.....
It’s a good point, but it reinforces my point that unless you are in a P5, you’re not getting in the playoff

Either let them have a chance to win or let them have their own league with their own $$

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Teams don’t want to play a UCF. Real chance of losing, with nothing to really gain by winning.

If you go out of conference, a P5 will usually schedule The Citadel or a team which would be a great victory, like Bama.

Not saying it’s illegal, but if you win 25 in a row and are still not eligible something is off.

Each season is it's own ecosystem, they have won 11, against the 119th ranked SOS. Lets stop pretending that Bama couldn't name the score they want to put on them. UCF is not eligible because they have beaten up a schedule of no bodies.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Each season is it's own ecosystem, they have won 11, against the 119th ranked SOS. Lets stop pretending that Bama couldn't name the score they want to put on them. UCF is not eligible because they have beaten up a schedule of no bodies.

But shouldn’t UCF at least have the chance? My point is not about the wins or trophies but the dollars. They are prevented from getting revenue because they don’t belong to a P5.

They likely wouldn’t win, but aren’t they legally entitled to the fair market opportunity to the money.

The system is set up, so small schools are barred from the revenue, which could qualify as market fixing/anti-trust.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But shouldn’t UCF at least have the chance? My point is not about the wins or trophies but the dollars. They are prevented from getting revenue because they don’t belong to a P5.

They likely wouldn’t win, but aren’t they legally entitled to the fair market opportunity to the money.

The system is set up, so small schools are barred from the revenue, which could qualify as market fixing/anti-trust.

No they aren't entitled, and it is the free market at work. Lets be honest the playoff isn't about finding the champion as much as it is about getting money. What money is there for a game in which had a P5 against a also ran. A game that will be over by half time? This is why I doubt will ever go to 8 teams. The argument between the 3 or 4th best team in the nation deserving a shot, is at least plausible, but the 7/8th best team? Can you honestly suggest that UCF is one of the 4 best teams?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
No they aren't entitled, and it is the free market at work. Lets be honest the playoff isn't about finding the champion as much as it is about getting money. What money is there for a game in which had a P5 against a also ran. A game that will be over by half time? This is why I doubt will ever go to 8 teams. The argument between the 3 or 4th best team in the nation deserving a shot, is at least plausible, but the 7/8th best team? Can you honestly suggest that UCF is one of the 4 best teams?
Can you say with absolute proof that they are not?

The schools are in it to make a buck. The system prevents small schools from maximizing income by blocking them from the playoff.

Why even include them if they can’t win it?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Good lawdy ... you can't play it both ways. 25 wins get you jack squat if you aint one of the top 4 teams. How hard is that to understand? Do you think they are top 4 this year? Do you think they were ever top 4? I sure dont. I think at least 10 teams would be 25-0 if they played that weak schedule. You are criminal for even suggesting what a team did last year gets them something this year. I personally think they are ranked right about where they need to be.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I'm also puzzled by the quantity argument. I respect what they've done. But beating UAB or Tulane 100 times in a row, is still just beating UAB or Tulane.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youn should call the police then if you think there is a literal crime literally happening.

collusion laws.
There is no collusion law. Dimocrats made that up trying to change the subject of their wiretapping of a presidential candidate's campaign.

Really? Who makes their schedule and who made them join a shytty conference? if they wanted to, they could become road warriors and play as many tough teams as they could. Clowntown and Looville did this when they were both part of conference USA/old Metro and independents.

Instead they play a schedule worse than many 1AA teams, with four of those games under their control.....and cry like bitches about respect.

It would also help if they didnt give up 40 points vs cupcake geographic schools constantly and nearly lose twice a year.

I’m far from an anti-trust attorney,
Yes.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

You could move up to a conference with better competition, that was part of the point. Then they would have to play you.

Years ago at the Sugar Bowl a friend of mine was told by a Notra Lame fan they would win the SEC all the time, what a joke that was then and today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.