Panthers grab Will Grier in 3rd round

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While the knock on Grier is his supposed garbage arm strength, I read this:

"The Panthers needed to find a quality backup behind Cam Newton, and Grier should be just that. Grier (6’3/217) transferred from Florida to West Virginia for his final two seasons, where he went 15-7 with a 66% completion rate at 9.4 yards per attempt and a 71:20 TD-INT ratio. Excelling in Mike Leach disciple Dana Holgorsen’s Air Raid spread, Grier cleared 300 yards in 19-of-22 starts. As a 66th-percentile SPARQ athlete, Grier offers plus mobility and standout accuracy, and he clocked 59-MPH ball velocity on the Combine radar gun, the best mark of all quarterbacks in Indy. Knocked by some as a "system quarterback," Grier’s college tape reveals an aggressive gunslinger with some similarities to Tony Romo."

How can you have the highest ball velocity of every QB at the Combine and have a trash arm? Seems like that's more important than being able to throw farther than you ever would in a game. I guess it has to do with not having a good enough arm on the run, when your feet aren't set.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sold on Grier. That OC he had at WV always got those huge numbers with his QBs in that system and Grier wasn't some clutch player there and lost many games when it came down to the fInal possessions. I think he probably starts eventually but I don't think he will become some real good NFL QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier's ball-flight seems self-propelled through air. That part reminds me of Namath. Grier will do well in the NFL.

leogator

May 5, 2018
How can you have the highest ball velocity of every QB at the Combine and have a trash arm? Seems like that's more important than being able to throw farther than you ever would in a game. I guess it has to do with not having a good enough arm on the run, when your feet aren't set.

Wasn't he running for his life when he played for us? He had us 6-0 with trash OL and supporting players?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't he running for his life when he played for us? He had us 6-0 with trash OL and supporting players?
Everyone has us at 6-0 bc we play trash at the start of the year.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
While the knock on Grier is his supposed garbage arm strength, I read this:

"The Panthers needed to find a quality backup behind Cam Newton, and Grier should be just that. Grier (6’3/217) transferred from Florida to West Virginia for his final two seasons, where he went 15-7 with a 66% completion rate at 9.4 yards per attempt and a 71:20 TD-INT ratio. Excelling in Mike Leach disciple Dana Holgorsen’s Air Raid spread, Grier cleared 300 yards in 19-of-22 starts. As a 66th-percentile SPARQ athlete, Grier offers plus mobility and standout accuracy, and he clocked 59-MPH ball velocity on the Combine radar gun, the best mark of all quarterbacks in Indy. Knocked by some as a "system quarterback," Grier’s college tape reveals an aggressive gunslinger with some similarities to Tony Romo."

Arm strength? Someone say arm strength?

bw-05-jamarcus-05021.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
4th and 14 and Callaway ring a bell?

That was nice but the fact is he has came up short many times when a game was in his hands. Then he struts around like he thinks he is some rock star at WV while having a worse record than their previous QB.

His arrogant behavior is one reason he probably dropped so much.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grier at 1:37 doing what the scouts say he can't do, making a perfect downfield throw off stride, once again again proving the fanboys got it right when we jumped on the wagon.

Newton's contract is up in 2020. Great pick by the Panthers to bring home the native son.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I don’t understand the lack of arm strength criticism. Maybe he’s not in the top 10 arms in the NFL but he’s got plenty of zip to get the ball where it needs to be on time. I think Romo is a very good comparison, and if thatS his ceiling and he can lay off the PED’s and white girls he should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.