Patriots under investigation from NFL

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n155583 said:
What happened to mr. law and order wobble?
Belichek should be severely punished for this.. I t is a second major violation... Who knows what would have happened had Brady not been able to grip the ball early and thrown a pick 6 early on...

First off, they haven't even proven that it was the Pats' fault (but probably is), so you can't punish them until then. Second, I was saying he shouldn't be suspended, not saying he shouldn't be punished if found at fault.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n155583 said:
What happened to mr. law and order wobble?
Belichek should be severely punished for this.. I t is a second major violation... Who knows what would have happened had Brady not been able to grip the ball early and thrown a pick 6 early on...

It depends on how the NFL views this, it has been almost a decade since their first violation. If it follows the same rules as the players, it has been 32 games so it is the first. I expect them to lose a mid level draft pick for it. And the rules about who controls the balls to change.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
One has to wonder about how much they are doing that they haven't been caught. This truly tarnished their legacy. Go to ESPNBoston.com - the fans are pretty disappointed in the Pats. Most of them are embarrassed and are not defending it. Kinda opposite of FSU fans and Winston.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n155609 said:
One has to wonder about how much they are doing that they haven't been caught. This truly tarnished their legacy. Go to ESPNBoston.com - the fans are pretty disappointed in the Pats. Most of them are embarrassed and are not defending it. Kinda opposite of FSU fans and Winston.

Pats aren't the only team that pushes the boundaries. They are just sucking at keeping it covered up.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n155615 said:
Pats aren't the only team that pushes the boundaries. They are just sucking at keeping it covered up.

Everybody does it is not a proper defense. This will upstage the biggest NFL event of the year. I think they get hammered as a franchise. BB may not get a huge suspension but they are going to be made an example of...watch.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n155621 said:
Everybody does it is not a proper defense. This will upstage the biggest NFL event of the year. I think they get hammered as a franchise. BB may not get a huge suspension but they are going to be made an example of...watch.

Please, this won't even be a story by next week. Pats won 45-7. Deflated footballs did not decide that game. You are way too melodramatic over such a small issue.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n155622 said:
Please, this won't even be a story by next week. Pats won 45-7. Deflated footballs did not decide that game. You are way too melodramatic over such a small issue.

I agree that the outcome would have been similar. You are downplaying it too much. The Pats are Spygate and that has not been forgotten.

Cheating is a small issue? Since when? This is going nowhere as usual with you. Nevermind.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How would they possibly prove that Belichick had any knowledge of this? Talk about overblown nonsense this all is.

The NFL will simply end up doing what they should have done in the first place, have the refs only handle the balls the entire game - like they've done with the kicking balls since 1999. Which raises another question: Why didn't they do it with ALL the balls in 1999? I don't think the NFL viewed over or underinflated balls that were being thrown around offered any major advantage.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n155627 said:
I agree that the outcome would have been similar. You are downplaying it too much. The Pats are Spygate and that has not been forgotten.

Cheating is a small issue? Since when? This is going nowhere as usual with you. Nevermind.

Tomlin cheated, wasn't a topic the next week. Rex Ryan cheated, wasn't topic the next week. Why weren't you up in arms on those occasions?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n155628 said:
How would they possibly prove that Belichick had any knowledge of this? Talk about overblown nonsense this all is.

The NFL will simply end up doing what they should have done in the first place, only have the refs handle the balls the entire game - like they've done with the kicking balls since 1999. Which raises another question: Why didn't they do it with ALL the balls in 1999? I don't think the NFL viewed over or underinflated balls that were being thrown around offered any major advantage.

The argument made this morning to why they didn't do it by Charle Casserly (spelling) that the teams requested the abilty to rough them up before the game and work with them during the game to remove the slickiness from them.

They will have a hard time proving anyone did it, but according to the NFL it is the Patriots who has the responsibility to make sure they are properly inflated. According to the NFL network (don't remember who said it) the penality for it being in the Championship game means a draft pick.

Also reported today , Brad Johnson paid and equipment person to deflate the footballs in the Bucs vs Raiders Super Bowl.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n155630 said:
Tomlin cheated, wasn't a topic the next week. Rex Ryan cheated, wasn't topic the next week. Why weren't you up in arms on those occasions?

I thought Tomlin should have been suspended.

I don't think you have to prove who did it to punish the Pats. The footballs were entrusted to them. The franchise should definitely be punished and I think they will be.

Suspending Brady or BB is another matter and the league would need proof of culpability. Anyone remember what the scoop on Payton was back when it happened? What was the proof he knew?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n155645 said:

I don't think you have to prove who did it to punish the Pats. The footballs were entrusted to them. The franchise should definitely be punished and I think they will be.

Suspending Brady or BB is another matter and the league would need proof of culpability. Anyone remember what the scoop on Payton was back when it happened? What was the proof he knew?

Hell, they haven't even proved if the officials examined the footballs correctly before the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Patriots are being investigated for slappin a bytch..... errrr.... dude with an Amish neckbeard.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n155645 said:

The proof that Payton knew were emails on the Saints servers from the assistants, and an email from the owner telling him to stop the practice.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I would be curious just "how" under-inflated they were? Multiple referees handled the game balls on every play and none of them appeared to notice anything amiss. That makes me think the difference must not have been very significant.

Too bad the Patriots are not a NASCAR team...they'd be hailed as brilliant innovators.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
11 of the 12 footballs were 2 lbs light... if it doesn't give them an advantage, then why do it?
This, along with spygate, and their other nonconformance of NFL rules (ineligible receivers, player injury reports) is a pattern. Why do it if it makes no difference? Everyone does it? Clearly the Colts don't... Their balls were all in compliance... Maybe some teams do break this rule regularly, but the NFL gives plenty of leeway on inflation of balls and of course the Pats went over the line as usual... This will bring a harsh penalty, my guess is a loss of draft pics...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n155658 said:
I would be curious just "how" under-inflated they were? Multiple referees handled the game balls on every play and none of them appeared to notice anything amiss. That makes me think the difference must not have been very significant.

Too bad the Patriots are not a NASCAR team...they'd be hailed as brilliant innovators.

They are saying 2 pounds under. The Colts reporter is saying a Colts player was saying the ball felt funny the last time they played after an interception also but I guess they didn't alert the NFL then. It wouldn't shock me if Belichick has been doing this for a while thinking a complaint wouldn't be lodged.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n155663 said:
11 of the 12 footballs were 2 lbs light... if it doesn't give them an advantage, then why do it?
This, along with spygate, and their other nonconformance of NFL rules (ineligible receivers, player injury reports) is a pattern. Why do it if it makes no difference? Everyone does it? Clearly the Colts don't... Their balls were all in compliance... Maybe some teams do break this rule regularly, but the NFL gives plenty of leeway on inflation of balls and of course the Pats went over the line as usual... This will bring a harsh penalty, my guess is a loss of draft pics...

I think they may take a hard line also. Former Pat players say Belichick was using injured reserve players in practice also years ago but that was never officially pursued I think.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We don't know if the Colts balls were in compliance - I don't believe they were tested, even though they should have been.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n155687 said:
We don't know if the Colts balls were in compliance - I don't believe they were tested, even though they should have been.

This. If the balls were tested and found to be within specs, you know it would have been reported already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator