POLL: Who's your Favorite Women's World Cup Soccer Player?

And the choices are... Alex Morgan: Her overly involved soccer dad would kill you if he knew even h

• Alex Morgan

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Hope Solo

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Abby Wambach

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Carli Lloyd

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Fk Jeremy Foley and his liberal Title IX agenda

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Mia Hamm Sammich

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Right off of her Wiki page...

Hinkle has been outspoken regarding LGBT issues. On June 26, 2015, after same-sex marriage in the United States was established in all 50 states, Hinkle tweeted "This world is falling farther and farther away from God... All that can be done by believers is to continue to pray."

Not sure how you can build team trust with that but you try to explain it to me.

So it is hateful, in your opinion to be against same sex marriage. Cool. But understand that is your opinion. Not everyones.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm not looking for an argument, but the person and article you raised is not necessarily the issue you seem to think it is in my opinion.

Intolerance is definitely an OLD TOPIC.

My point of 'old topic' is that this person has been cut from the squad years ago. This person's plight is old news.

Did the media create the issue of her being excluded because of her religious beliefs?

Has anyone else been shown to have been excluded for religious beliefs? Nobody that I'm aware of other than THIS person. Ever, within my memory. And SHE isn't the one claiming bigtory, the article does, other sports writers do. The closest SHE comes is acknowledging the risk in turning down an invite to play - that's how it works with any job, in any profession.

By the way, did you look at the other media that pushed the 'dropped for religious reasons' concept? Christian news outlets. There's an agenda there. Why didn't any non-Christian media pick this up? Aside from Hinkle, we don't know the religion of any other players, so we can't say the squad is excluding intolerant Muslims, or if other Christians are on the squad.

Neither Hinkle, nor you, bring up the race aspect of bigotry...though the article does. It doesn't say she was left off by race, but that dropping her hurts the squads diversity. This is a media angle to push buttons. Looking at the squad there are 3-4 players of color on the squad now. Is race an issue in player selection, or talent? Does it merit mention, or is the article (which is full of Christian opinions on the religious basis for exclusion) simply trying to push it's angle for attention despite a lack of substance to support it?

MR is all against "excluding" people unless they don't fit her preference.

Now you bring MR into it. I personally don't agree with MR's grandstanding and agenda pushing, but MR didn't exclude Hinkle. Why are you framing it as such? She's not part of this decision. Are you concerned that MR isn't fighting for Hinkle to be on the team, that she lacks outrage at the left back being dropped? Perhaps we should recognize it is the coach's decision to put the best players on the field who give the team the best chance to win. Players are supposed to play.

The quotes from the same people who called her "homophobic" also said "there isn’t a better pure tactical fit available than Hinkle.”

Again, who is speaking? Sports writers (SBNation, Buzzfeed), not exactly the experts on who is best at a position. They are, however, charged with making headlines and getting eyeballs, stirring discussion. I've yet to hear anyone in a position of actually evaluating talent say anything about Hinkle's talent level being 'the best' at the position The coach, Ellis (known lesbian), made the decision and it is her job to evaluate the talent. I can infer, from Hinkle's collegiate days at Texas Tech (not a known power house) she may not be 'the best'. That she even got 8 caps, and that she plays professionally, tells me she is damn good, but not necessarily 'the best'.

So team chemistry only matters when you are excluding a talented player who is NOT gay? If the situation were reversed, there would be outrage, but because the person not included is not gay, then it's no big deal.

I'm not sure where you're trying to take this. We know for a fact there are several gay players on the squad - the media ensures we know who, and there is of course the spotlight they (MR, the goalie's girlfriend) are given to voice their outrage about whatever irks them. We know the coach is gay. But how many other players are not gay and made the squad because of their talent? How many gay players were excluded because of their lower level of talent? The bar for exclusion is 'who is the best, who can help us win'. Trying to paint the bar as 'who is gay, or supports gay rights' is a myopic view that discredits those who earned their position, and inflates those who missed out to more importance than they warrant.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So it is hateful, in your opinion to be against same sex marriage. Cool. But understand that is your opinion. Not everyones.

If you openly rally for discrimination...that's hate for me. You wanna split hairs? Taking away someone's freedoms is hateful IMHO.

Again, explain to me how you can have her on the team while she is openly against the LGBT community? Feel free to educate me on this one.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everything will be fixed when the men who identify as women start playing on the team.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
If you openly rally for discrimination...that's hate for me. You wanna split hairs? Taking away someone's freedoms is hateful IMHO.

Again, explain to me how you can have her on the team while she is openly against the LGBT community? Feel free to educate me on this one.

For me to address your comments would mean there would be no context to soccer or anyone associated with soccer and that discussion should be addressed in the Politics Forum.

Would you like to discuss it there? There are several threads or you could create a new one.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

She is against same sex marriage. That is not the same as being against the LGBT community. Religious freedom still exists in this country, whether you like it or not. And it is fine to have a difference of opinion on the issue of marriage. If you see that as hate, you are free to have that opinion. Marriage is not a right. Not having same sex marriage isn't a loss of freedom to me. YMMV.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Hinkle has been outspoken regarding LGBT issues. On June 26, 2015, after same-sex marriage in the United States was established in all 50 states, Hinkle tweeted "This world is falling farther and farther away from God... All that can be done by believers is to continue to pray."

She has a legal right to express her views and express her religious beliefs. You wish to silence that?

What rights has she taken from anyone? Ever? Even in expressing her beliefs, and perhaps her view of the future (falling away from God), the worst she is 'rallying for' is prayer. OMG, let's execute her.

How can we have anyone of a religion that is against gay living on the team when it is so openly supporting the LGBT community? It works both ways.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'm not looking for an argument, but the person and article you raised is not necessarily the issue you seem to think it is in my opinion.

My point of 'old topic' is that this person has been cut from the squad years ago. This person's plight is old news.

Has anyone else been shown to have been excluded for religious beliefs? Nobody that I'm aware of other than THIS person. Ever, within my memory. And SHE isn't the one claiming bigtory, the article does, other sports writers do. The closest SHE comes is acknowledging the risk in turning down an invite to play - that's how it works with any job, in any profession.

By the way, did you look at the other media that pushed the 'dropped for religious reasons' concept? Christian news outlets. There's an agenda there. Why didn't any non-Christian media pick this up? Aside from Hinkle, we don't know the religion of any other players, so we can't say the squad is excluding intolerant Muslims, or if other Christians are on the squad.

Neither Hinkle, nor you, bring up the race aspect of bigotry...though the article does. It doesn't say she was left off by race, but that dropping her hurts the squads diversity. This is a media angle to push buttons. Looking at the squad there are 3-4 players of color on the squad now. Is race an issue in player selection, or talent? Does it merit mention, or is the article (which is full of Christian opinions on the religious basis for exclusion) simply trying to push it's angle for attention despite a lack of substance to support it?

Now you bring MR into it. I personally don't agree with MR's grandstanding and agenda pushing, but MR didn't exclude Hinkle. Why are you framing it as such? She's not part of this decision. Are you concerned that MR isn't fighting for Hinkle to be on the team, that she lacks outrage at the left back being dropped? Perhaps we should recognize it is the coach's decision to put the best players on the field who give the team the best chance to win. Players are supposed to play.

Again, who is speaking? Sports writers (SBNation, Buzzfeed), not exactly the experts on who is best at a position. They are, however, charged with making headlines and getting eyeballs, stirring discussion. I've yet to hear anyone in a position of actually evaluating talent say anything about Hinkle's talent level being 'the best' at the position The coach, Ellis (known lesbian), made the decision and it is her job to evaluate the talent. I can infer, from Hinkle's collegiate days at Texas Tech (not a known power house) she may not be 'the best'. That she even got 8 caps, and that she plays professionally, tells me she is damn good, but not necessarily 'the best'.

I'm not sure where you're trying to take this. We know for a fact there are several gay players on the squad - the media ensures we know who, and there is of course the spotlight they (MR, the goalie's girlfriend) are given to voice their outrage about whatever irks them. We know the coach is gay. But how many other players are not gay and made the squad because of their talent? How many gay players were excluded because of their lower level of talent? The bar for exclusion is 'who is the best, who can help us win'. Trying to paint the bar as 'who is gay, or supports gay rights' is a myopic view that discredits those who earned their position, and inflates those who missed out to more importance than they warrant.

We may be talking past one another.

I'll try to clarify.

I posted a link regarding a Christian soccer player in the context of MR's quote about "excluding people."

Not sure anyone can dispute based on the article that Hinkle was excluded solely based on her personal beiefs off the field. Of course this story is not being discussed by the national news media, and the "Christian" news sources are disclosing just that.

The point is to prove that a double standard exists depending on who it is being excluded.

If a talented gay soccer player was excluded from a team based on their personal beliefs and social media comments off the field, it would make all the national news sources who have ignored this instance. The fact that they don't makes the exact point that the media is driving these narratives, and refusing to discuss others' for an specific reason.

I think we can all agree that our society loves sports and those sports would be much more entertaining if both the players and (especially) the media focused ONLY on the sport itself not the off the field opinions and beliefs.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
She has a legal right to express her views and express her religious beliefs. You wish to silence that?

What rights has she taken from anyone? Ever? Even in expressing her beliefs, and perhaps her view of the future (falling away from God), the worst she is 'rallying for' is prayer. OMG, let's execute her.

How can we have anyone of a religion that is against gay living on the team when it is so openly supporting the LGBT community? It works both ways.

I never said silence her...I posed a simple question of how you could have an ANTI-LGBT person on a team full of LGBT persons. Tell me how you can build trust and chemistry on a team. I'm all ears...

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
On a related note......

Hypothetically, should a US team refuse to play a team from a Muslim country since most of those countries openly persecute openly gay members of their populace?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I posted a link regarding a Christian soccer player in the context of MR's quote about "excluding people."

Thank you for clarifying your point. I understand it better now.

Not sure anyone can dispute based on the article that Hinkle was excluded solely based on her personal beiefs off the field. Of course this story is not being discussed by the national news media, and the "Christian" news sources are disclosing just that.

Based on that article, no, it's hard dispute that exclusion was based on her personal beliefs. Stepping back from the article and looking at the full picture, my post was disputing that in the full picture I believe it is unlikely that exclusion was based on her personal beliefs.

The point is to prove that a double standard exists depending on who it is being excluded.

I think we can all agree that our society loves sports and those sports would be much more entertaining if both the players and (especially) the media focused ONLY on the sport itself not the off the field opinions and beliefs.

Fully agree. I hate that this is reality, but it is.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Not sure how you can build team trust with that but you try to explain it to me.

Couldn’t agree more with Hinkle.
You barsh1t crazy liberals can’t fathom that it’s possible to have a believe system yet still treat people with respect. It’s the homos who can’t work with other people unless their sexual preferences are celebrated.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hinkle tweeted "This world is falling farther and farther away from God... All that can be done by believers is to continue to pray."
OH THE HORROR!!! HATE SPEECH!!! PRAYER!!! :fear:

seriously, if you think this is hate speech you have your head up your ass and mouth wide open. :facepalm:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, because ALex Morgan is GAY? DO you even know what you are talking about?

Hinkle is homophobic...bigotry hidden behind "religion". She can watch on TV and PRAY about it. LOL.

"In 2017, Hinkle turned down a call-up from the national team for a pair of international friendlies after learning that the players would wear rainbow-themed jerseys in honor of Gay Pride Month. She said later that the uniform conflicted with her Christian faith.

“I just felt so convicted in my spirit that it wasn’t my job to wear this jersey,” she told “The 700 Club” in a May 2018 interview. “I gave myself three days to just seek and pray and determine what [God] was asking me to do in this situation.”

Hate hidden behind the guise of religion. The religious right is pushing and pushing. They'll push their agenda too far at some point and the back lash will be huge.

I agree. But it won't go the way you think it will.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Because it is about soccer, not sex.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

In your mind it is impossible because you have the opinion that one person's beliefs are correct and any other that has differing beliefs is wrong and hateful. If you can't see that, then you are the problem. Playing soccer together doesn't require that you either suck dong or you don't ... it requires that you play your assignment and work hard as a team. Its people like you who are exclusive and hyperbolic. I don't agree with same sex marriage but I also will not stop 2 consenting adults from being together when and however they want ... and furthermore, I will definitely not walk away from a soccer match with them unless they require me to denounce my beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.