Princely sounds off on our S&C program

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Some of the comments wondered why Princely and others didn’t just conduct weight workouts on their own instead of blaming Hocke or making excuses for poor season(s) performances? I guess they should have, a la the McElwain plan under Izzy Mandelbaum, or whatever that clown’s name was. But that’s not a plan to get your teams ready to lineup and compete in the SEC. In addition to having a precise in- and off-season program for each player / position group to include both strength and speed development and maintenance, there’s also the team accountability and bonding that occurs during these required and managed workouts.

Hocke’s philosophy may well have been bent more toward speed development, but Billy has to bear the responsibility for the strength deficiencies that were pretty obvious to even the casual fans. It looks like he’s taking corrective measures with the hiring of Fitzgerald (and to an extent with the NFL Nutritionist). Will it be too late is the question? The only reason that this could have been overlooked was that he was too engrossed in offensive game-planning, strategy, and review. I don’t think he was busy hawking barbecue sauce or shopping for outfits at Belk’s like McElwain (though I sometimes have wondered just how aware of the big picture of UF / SEC Football he really is).

I haven’t looked up the stats, but I’d suggest that sacks and pressures allowed by our OL were high and sacks and pressures recorded by our DL would indicate us not being as physical as we needed to be. Missed tackles, which probably set some kind of modern CFB record, can also be tied to a lack physical strength and not simply technique. If Billy is canned, I believe if he’s as honest and analytical as he has claimed, he’ll kick himself in the butt for not paying attention to this part of the program, or “process,” like he should have.
You know a helluva lot more about this stuff than I do, but it seems to me that no matter what the level of football, SEC or Sun Belt, or HS for that matter, the S&C program should always be about getting guys bigger and stronger, right? Surely CBN would know that and as far as “big-boy” football goes had to see what worked during his time at Clemson and Bama, right? This whole story seems baffling to me.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You know a helluva lot more about this stuff than I do, but it seems to me that no matter what the level of football, SEC or Sun Belt, or HS for that matter, the S&C program should always be about getting guys bigger and stronger, right? Surely CBN would know that and as far as “big-boy” football goes had to see what worked during his time at Clemson and Bama, right? This whole story seems baffling to me.
It should, especially from the HBC. But we’ve now seen, from two guys that have been hired, a lack of oversight in the S&C program. I think McElwain just didn’t give a rip, thinking he was smart enough to coach beyond any deficiencies and Billy was likely too trusting along with being focused intently on his role as OC. No excuse for either guy regardless of the reason, it’s too important a piece in the competitive scheme. But I have seen high school coaches that didn’t think it was all that important as long as they had a speed advantage.

I imagine there are those collegiately that feel the same way, but in the higher levels, SEC et al, the prevailing notion is that it’s still a “line of scrimmage game” and usually the stronger team has a distinct advantage. Even though I ran the middle school weight classes for 10 yrs I spent about half of those summers helping manage the HS summer workouts that were required to be well-attended. When we camped at Troy State to begin the fall season, we always took our weight equipment and the kids got a lift in once a day between the three-a-days while we were up there. I can’t imagine a serious program at the HS or college level that doesn’t assign supreme importance to S&C.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
To be fair, Princely wasnt good trying to move to SDE (and even some DT under that lunatic Dwagtham) and desperately needed to get smaller and hopefully faster. He isnt a hand in the dirt WDE in the NFL. He just isnt strong enough in run defense (and 99% of 240-260 pounders arent). He better get fast enough to play (true) OLB.

None of the team looked strong though.
Well, does he have a future at any position?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm sure you said a lot of great stuff, but I'm still stuck on...
Jerry Seinfeld Comedy GIF
Great episode.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hope he takes a few plays off in Oxford like he did here.
It comes from practice and tolerance . Our coaches tolerated it and could’ve sat his tail if he didn’t go hard . They didn’t and It’s their job to instill discipline and coach on what is and perhaps most importantly will not be tolerated. Winning coaches don’t tolerate loafing.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
It’s a lame chicken schitt excuse by Princely. He knows there’s a solid change coming in the Gator’s weight room. Going to Oxford would make little difference in that regard.
Players who quit on plays or take plays off are likely to quit on the program too. They’re known as “Quitters”. Fuchs him.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
It comes from practice and tolerance . Our coaches tolerated it and could’ve sat his tail if he didn’t go hard . They didn’t and It’s their job to instill discipline and coach on what is and perhaps most importantly will not be tolerated. Winning coaches don’t tolerate loafing.
If Princely was the only player loafing, not pursuing or taking plays off, then I might consider it was him, personally, that sucked.
Let's be real, we've all seen those behaviors from D linemen, Corners and even safeties from time to time.

It's a coaching issue.

Agree with wrpgator here, Fuch a quitter. However, I think he will have a great season at Ol Miss, under a coaching staff that will sit his azz on the bench for loafing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with wrpgator here, Fuch a quitter. However, I think he will have a great season at Ol Miss, under a coaching staff that will sit his azz on the bench for loafing.
LOL evidently you haven't watched defenses under Lane Kiffin.

Ridiculous post.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
LOL evidently you haven't watched defenses under Lane Kiffin.

Ridiculous post.
I've watched Kiffen at the very least, trying to correct his problems on defense.
He did go out and get Durkin, then lost him to A&M.
He hired Bama's D Coordinator for the coming season as well.

So, Given the same lack of Defense at Ol Miss and Florida, which head coach has tried to correct those deficiencies?

Your gaslighting schtick, is wearing thin.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Who is this Princely person? Is this one of those Nigerian prince scams? Who gives an F what he says. Most folks who are confident and self-assured in their decisions would utilize discretion in this situation and keep their mouth shut. Instead, he obviously is unsure and setting up excuses. Or he is just a complete jack ass

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I've watched Kiffen at the very least, trying to correct his problems on defense.
He did go out and get Durkin, then lost him to A&M.
He hired Bama's D Coordinator for the coming season as well.

So, Given the same lack of Defense at Ol Miss and Florida, which head coach has tried to correct those deficiencies?

Your gaslighting schtick, is wearing thin.
You don't try and improve a defense by signing guys like Princely.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You don't try and improve a defense by signing guys like Princely.
If I'm a head coach trying to improve my defense, I'm looking for guys that were rated highly out of high school, and not realizing their potential.
I think, a SEC level coaching staff can see, that our guys, aren't getting the coaching and development they need at Florida.

Princely may indeed be a bust, but, he may realize that if he wants to play after he leaves college, he better take that mindest and bust his azz in the weight room and on the field next year.

He quit on us. On the field and now out of school. Fuch him.
I just don't like the overall lack of development of our talent.
By the way, that's been a cancer in our program since Mac.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The last guy who was successful here had a S&C philosophy based on 4-6 seconds of relentless effort because 95% of all football plays last 4-6 seconds....i.e lots of heavy lifting and short explosive movements(power cleans, squats, bench press, box jumps and wind sprints)

That seemed to work out pretty good, huh?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is this Princely person? Is this one of those Nigerian prince scams? Who gives an F what he says. Most folks who are confident and self-assured in their decisions would utilize discretion in this situation and keep their mouth shut. Instead, he obviously is unsure and setting up excuses. Or he is just a complete jack ass
He’s the guy that led the team in sacks and was one of the few bright spots on a dreadful defense . If you don’t know who he is you probably haven’t watched a ball game. In that case most the board probably envies you.Badmouthing Billy Bob and his staff isn’t “ setting up excuses “ nor being a jackass . Good players would rather eat dirt than lose and that’s why Princely left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.